Newbie to this LSDroid/PCM Hammer world

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
billymild
cars: 2003 Corvette Z06

Newbie to this LSDroid/PCM Hammer world

Post by billymild »

I have started reading and hear about LSDroid as well as PCM Hammer and the opensource tuning options with TunerPro. I have looked at TunerPro and done some things with my old LT-5 ZR-1(RIP) back in the day. It was more for datalogging and trying to fix minor running issues.

I now have a 2003 Z06 running a mail order tune from ECS, but I keep getting a slow O2 sensor code. Everyone has told me to get that code tuned out. I hate to send it back to ECS or even remove the ECU again. That is when someone referred me to LSDroid/PCM Hammer. I have a few questions.

1. What cable/OBD adapter is best?
PCM Hammer prefers what?
LSDroid prefers OBDLink. Are any other compatible?
2. Tunerpro would be used to "remove the codes" mentioned above. Is that correct or can PCM Hammer/LS Droid do that as well? Looked like both of these programs just read the computer to get the raw data
3. Is there a simple how to get started?

If this isn't the right place sorry for the ignorance I need to start somewhere.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: Newbie to this LSDroid/PCM Hammer world

Post by Tazzi »

billymild wrote:I have started reading and hear about LSDroid as well as PCM Hammer and the opensource tuning options with TunerPro. I have looked at TunerPro and done some things with my old LT-5 ZR-1(RIP) back in the day. It was more for datalogging and trying to fix minor running issues.

I now have a 2003 Z06 running a mail order tune from ECS, but I keep getting a slow O2 sensor code. Everyone has told me to get that code tuned out. I hate to send it back to ECS or even remove the ECU again. That is when someone referred me to LSDroid/PCM Hammer. I have a few questions.

1. What cable/OBD adapter is best?
PCM Hammer prefers what?
LSDroid prefers OBDLink. Are any other compatible?
2. Tunerpro would be used to "remove the codes" mentioned above. Is that correct or can PCM Hammer/LS Droid do that as well? Looked like both of these programs just read the computer to get the raw data
3. Is there a simple how to get started?

If this isn't the right place sorry for the ignorance I need to start somewhere.
Hi There!

To answer your questions:
1) Theres quite a few options, just have to keep budget in mind.
On PCM Hammer, you can use a J2534 tool such as a VX Nano, or can use an OBDLink or theres also the OBDX Pro VT which is produced by myself and Pete (Developer of LS Droid).
LS Droid only works with the OBDX Pro VT and the OBDLink.

2) Tunerpro is the 'editor'. You load up the vehicle definition file (XDF) which allows you to modify the tune that is read from the ecu using PCMHammer or LSDroid.

3) Theres not really any guide, other then read the ecu, open XDF in tunerpro which matches your ecus operating system, make changes and finally write back.

There is only limited XDFs around but it seems the community is slowly building more.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
billymild

Post by billymild »

Thanks for the recap. I saw the OBDX Pro VT, sounds like a good adapter, but I want it to work with Windows or Android just incase I change my mind later. I like the OBDLink product because AlfaOBD can be used to change settings on my truck. I just have 2 dumb BT readers already and now they are obsolete with this recent "opensource" tuning.

Unlike my old ZR-1 I assume I can't build my own cable easily?

XDF files I have started to look. I have a C5 corvette. Is there anything I could do to help build an XDF? I am not a programmer, but have IT skills.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

There's a collection of XDF files and stock operating systems here:
https://github.com/BoredTruckOwner/LS_B ... Repository

There are XDFs for a couple of C5 operating systems, but not all of them.

What year is your C5?

The cable for C5s needs some hardware and software in it to convert from the car's communication protocol to something that a PC can understand. It's complicated.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
billymild

Post by billymild »

Thank you for the response. I will be buying a bluetooth adapter. I like the option of using my Surface for tuning so PCM Hammer looks like a better choice, but I don't know if I want to wait 30-40 minutes to download the tune.

I have a 2003 C5 Z06.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

billymild wrote:Thank you for the response. I will be buying a bluetooth adapter. I like the option of using my Surface for tuning so PCM Hammer looks like a better choice, but I don't know if I want to wait 30-40 minutes to download the tune.

I have a 2003 C5 Z06.
Windows and bluetooth dont always want to work nicely. With both the OBDLink and OBDXPro, you can use bluetooth but it can be a little fiddly getting windows to stay connected so just a heads up on that one.

The Xpro is faster, but it doesnt do other protocols like the obdlink so just bare that in mind incase you want to use it on other vehicles.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
aaronc7
cars: 2003 C5Z
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

billymild wrote:Thank you for the response. I will be buying a bluetooth adapter. I like the option of using my Surface for tuning so PCM Hammer looks like a better choice, but I don't know if I want to wait 30-40 minutes to download the tune.

I have a 2003 C5 Z06.
I have a 2003 C5 Z06 as well and I have successfully read a few PCMs with OBDLink MX with PCM Hammer over bluetooth. It said connection was excellent/no errors etc.

From what I can tell, LS Droid is designed for bench flashing only and I kept getting errors.....this was "normal" for a PCM still connected to the car they said.

So I would recommend PCM Hammer. The initial read was slow, but subsequent calibration only flashes shouldn't be too bad.

If you're getting slow O2 response code though, it may indicate that you should replace the sensors. Back in the day when I got a remote tune, my tuned disabled those codes for whatever reason. But since I've started tuning myself, I've re-enabled them and never had issues, even on a cammed motor etc.

For actual datalogging and tuning, I think the datalogging is the biggest missing piece right now with PCM Hammer, but they're working on it. For such a thing, a wired connection will always be better to for max speed. But for relatively simple stuff, disabling codes etc., yeah, PCM Hammer + Tunerpro is perfect.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Thanks for the report! The OBDLink MX is probably the slowest supported device, so the speed is understandable. This is because 1) The OBDLink devices only support 1x speed (vs 4x of most of the others). 2) The synchronous protocol is slower than the devices that support async data. 3) It has a small amount of RAM meaning the packets need to be quite small which increases the lag in the synchronous protocol from 2. Having said all that, it is reasonably low cost, it works and it is stable. :thumbup:
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
aaronc7
cars: 2003 C5Z
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

antus wrote:Thanks for the report! The OBDLink MX is probably the slowest supported device, so the speed is understandable. This is because 1) The OBDLink devices only support 1x speed (vs 4x of most of the others). 2) The synchronous protocol is slower than the devices that support async data. 3) It has a small amount of RAM meaning the packets need to be quite small which increases the lag in the synchronous protocol from 2. Having said all that, it is reasonably low cost, it works and it is stable. :thumbup:
Yeah, I saw in the FAQ or whatever that the MX (no plus) wasn't supported, but I figured I would give it a try anyways since I was just doing some reads.

Is it not expected behavior for it to work? The full read speed/time more or less was in line with what the FAQ said to expect with the OBDlink stuff. I'm a little apprehensive to do any writes since it's not supported, but seemed to work just fine.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

aaronc7,

If it reads error free (All read-request messages succeeded on the first try.), try a 'Test Write', if it succeeds error free (All write-request messages succeeded on the first try.), it should be safe to do a write, obviously nobody can give you a guarantee with any tool, they all can fail at any moment.

I am curious about the 'ScanTool device ID' of that tool, it can be seen in the log after the tool has been selected, could you please post it.

Thank you
Last edited by Gampy on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!