New to PCM hammer and some questions

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
bobs
cars: 2000 C5 corvette
2007 C6 Z06 corvette

New to PCM hammer and some questions

Post by bobs »

I ran PCMHammer on my 2000 C5 vert and it captured the bin file flawlessly. Thank you for you effort in making this code available.
The car has never had a tune so it is stock. The OS is 12593359. There is a note on the end of the read that asks for sharing results, so I am wondering if you just wanted confirmation that it worked with this OS or if you want either the bin file or the text output from the read operation. If so, what is the best way to capture it?

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask about acquiring .XDF files for tuner pro, but the only place I have been able to find these files is on a GIT repository. I have used GIT in the past, but do you really have to take out a copy of the repository to get the file?
There is no specific .xdf for my OS. The closest I have found is either 12593358 which I believe is for a 2000 Z06 vette, or a more generic 12212156. Are these generic enough to work with the 12593359 OS?

Thanks again for your effort in building this tool.
Gampy

Re: New to PCM hammer and some questions

Post by Gampy »

Welcome,

Thank you!

It read fine so I don't suppose there is any need for logs.
At the moment the only way to capture logs is to select all, copy paste into a Text file. (Notepad)
If you've closed the program the logs are gone ...

If you would like to share the .bin file you can attach it to a post here in this thread. (I would like that, just looked and I don't have that OS)
(While in the Post to Reply editor (not Quick Reply) look to the lower left for "Upload attachment")

The XDF must match the OS exactly in most all cases!
That I know of there is no XDF for that OS ...

Most change to a OS that has an unlocked XDF.

You can just download (by selecting) a file from GitHub without checking out a copy or even logging in ...

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
bobs
2007 C6 Z06 corvette

Post by bobs »

Swapping OS's sounds like a scary proposition. How is it done?
I am attaching the .bin and the output text file if I can make it work.
I don't know your naming convention so feel free to rename or discard.
Attachments
2000vetteOS12593359.bin
(512 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
aaronc7
cars: 2003 C5Z
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

Yeah, development has really been focused around a single OS for the 512K P01s- 12212156. It's an OS that supports all possible hardware combinations etc., so it was logical to go after it first. It was also used in 2001-2002ish vettes, so you can definitely make it work.

This is what I would probably do: Download and set up EFILive or hptuners on your machine (both you can install and view tune files for free). Find a stock 2000 C5 Manual tune running same OS you're on, and find a 2002 C5 manual tune on the 12212156 OS. Now you have a reference for what your stock tune is....

On Tunerpro, Open up a 2002 C5 manual 12212156 bin file, import proper XDF. Now you can reconstruct your stock 2000 tune file in Tunerpro, using hpt or efi as reference. They will probably be pretty similar, but there were some minor engine changes and such over the years, so might as well identify all differences and copy them over to start.

Then PCM hammer you would do a "full write" with newly created/modified 12212156 bin file.

BTW I also opened up your posted stock tune file, tried a few random 512K XDFs and they were all clearly a mismatch. Seems like an oddball OS, so not really useable on the open source front until something develops it (if ever, since it's rare).
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Awesome Thank you!

Naming convention is whatever gets used ... :)

As for the OS change, remember, as long as you have a good backup you can always go back to original!
So, save a copy someplace that is SAFE!
Safe from modification, safe from deletion ... I mark mine as read only so I can't inadvertently damage it, and I make several copies in different locations (different drives).

OS changes are pretty safe from the Write point of view ... ALWAYS do a Test Write first, if you get any errors, think twice before proceeding.
An OS change is done using "Write OS, Calibration, & Boot" or "Write Full Flash (Clone)" menu option.

OS changes from a Tuner's point of view, is out of my realm ... I'm not a tuner, I'm just a wannabe programmer!

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
bobs
2007 C6 Z06 corvette

Post by bobs »

aaronc7,

I downloaded the EFILive software and found a tune file for a 99 manual vette running my OS, and a 2002 manual running12212156. The EFILive software reads both of them; how do I do a comparison?
aaronc7
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

The small folder icon below "view" and "calibration" on the top bar. But since they are different OS, it will now allow you to use the compare feature. So you would have to manually inspect the tune tables/values.

Yeah, it's a little cumbersome, but there's really no other way to go about it for an OS swap. It's only a 1 time thing though.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Note that writing param block (clone) will update the device serial number which can break HPT licensing if you have a license tied to it for the device. It does not sound like you do, but putting it out there to save someone else from tripping themselves up reading the thread.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
aaronc7
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

Yeah, I believe you would want to do "Write OS, Calibration and Boot" for this particular instance. You don't want to change your serial number or VIN or anything like that.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Thanks Antus,

I keep forgetting to state that in my messages of that type.