New to PCM hammer and some questions

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
bobs
cars: 2000 C5 corvette
2007 C6 Z06 corvette

Re: New to PCM hammer and some questions

Post by bobs »

Thanks everyone. I don't have a HPT license, but would want to keep the same numbers anyhow. I will give this a try.
aaronc7
cars: 2003 C5Z
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

I just remembered that you should be able to open your saved .bin file in EFILive too. You might be able to compare that to the downloaded stock file (to confirm it is stock.....probably is but doesn't hurt to check).

Feel free to PM me or post here if you need any help copying the info over to the new OS tune file or have questions.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Speaking as a non tuner of course ...

If it were me, I would open my original OS, open the target OS and copy the appropriate original settings to the target OS.
What settings those are ... I have no clue!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
B52Bombardier1
cars: 1970 Chevy El Camino with an LM7 modern GM engine.

2013 Chevrolet SS Camaro

Post by B52Bombardier1 »

Hello,

I would definitely make a trip to the junkyard and pick up a spare PCM before you get very far into PCM tuning. Around here, a junk yard PCM would set you back around $38 bucks or so. It would then be your lab rat device to do anything with while also preserving a good, functional Ace-In-The-Hole PCM that still works well for your vehicle. I have four different P01 PCM's for my 70 El Camino in various states of tune plus one P59 that I dabble with.

While you are at the JY, pick up the connectors and wiring to build a PCM bench harness. Writing to a PCM works far better with the PCM on the kitchen table than still installed in the vehicle.

Rick
Vetteyog
cars: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible
2004 GMC Envoy XL

Post by Vetteyog »

aaronc7 wrote:Yeah, development has really been focused around a single OS for the 512K P01s- 12212156. It's an OS that supports all possible hardware combinations etc., so it was logical to go after it first. It was also used in 2001-2002ish vettes, so you can definitely make it work.

This is what I would probably do: Download and set up EFILive or hptuners on your machine (both you can install and view tune files for free). Find a stock 2000 C5 Manual tune running same OS you're on, and find a 2002 C5 manual tune on the 12212156 OS. Now you have a reference for what your stock tune is....

On Tunerpro, Open up a 2002 C5 manual 12212156 bin file, import proper XDF. Now you can reconstruct your stock 2000 tune file in Tunerpro, using hpt or efi as reference. They will probably be pretty similar, but there were some minor engine changes and such over the years, so might as well identify all differences and copy them over to start.

Then PCM hammer you would do a "full write" with newly created/modified 12212156 bin file.

BTW I also opened up your posted stock tune file, tried a few random 512K XDFs and they were all clearly a mismatch. Seems like an oddball OS, so not really useable on the open source front until something develops it (if ever, since it's rare).
Hello, I see this is an OLD thread, but can you still view tunes in HPTuners for free? It says you need to have an account to get into the repository. Also, would this process work to do mild changes to a tune in TunerPro? I have a 2001 Corvette, and am adding long tubes over the winter.