BLACK BOX Tuning

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
4.3Express

BLACK BOX Tuning

Post by 4.3Express »

1st post. Found out avout LS Droid and am very stoked and grateful. Shouldnt have to spend big money liscensing software for 20y/o vehicle.
I wanna have fun and learn how to edit my BB maps.

It's a 99+/2000 Express van with a cute boy V6 VORTEC.
I converted to solid roller lifters, dremel ported the intake manifold and heads, deshrouded the valve openings, etc.
It has a new Flowmaster exhaust (still workin on it) and it sounds roudy-good.
Had to max out the throttle body idle adjust screw becuase i believe i actually lowered compression, increased valve lift and duration so it has a cool click and lopey idle, but i figure i could improve my idle with proper PCM parameters.
I want to eventually do a little forced air but first must know how to TUNE

So i think it Might be a p01. It is black finned pcm wih RED, BLUE, BLACK, WHITE stamping circa 99+.
I have read it has a 5800rpm limiter and not as good as an oh-411. Im okay with that.
I got LS on my android and I want to order correct OBD reader but figured i wid get a run down from you fellas first.
I plan on working with TunerPro.
What should I know, is there a guide boook or st?
Potential pitfalls?
Many Thanks dudes and ladies!
B
4.3Express

Re: BLACK BOX Tuning

Post by 4.3Express »

oh and also When i moved this PCM into cab (corrosion problems) I decided to crack it open and clean any pin terminal or solder points I DID get a good look at that little EEPROM chip that has all that old data. WOULD YOU BELEIVE it was actually BLACKENED and smokey, but not melted‽
Anyhow i cleaned up the Promchip with some alcohol and it seems to work fine, especially with improved ground- but it makes me wonder if some of that original vehcile data could somehow get CORRUPTED OR LOST? Dunno but i feel it def needs a re-write :driving:
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all;

4.3Express, sorry to tell you but there is only ONE free app that can flash that PCM and that is the Black Box Flash app created several years ago by Dimented24/7.
It only works with an AVT interface cable - which ain't exactly cheap IF you can get one.

You might find it posted on Thirdgen.org website if interested.

Best bet is to find a 0411 from a newer van, S10/Sonoma, or Blazer/Jimmy that has the 4.3l V6.

Mike
THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR »

Do an 0411 swap on it. The black box is not a very good controller. It is supported by hptuners, efilive, tunercat, and I think lsedit, but most skip tuning them, and go to an 0411 because the black box even with tuning software doesn't run as well as an 0411 swap does.