Alternator and electric fan issues with diesel swap.

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
TE27Levin
cars: 04 escalade

Alternator and electric fan issues with diesel swap.

Post by TE27Levin »

Hello all, I would like to say the work you guys have done with PCM hammer 014 has been phenomenal. That said, I have been using it and the 0411 pcm to do the opposite of an LS swap though..

The background of the situation..

I swapped a Mercedes om606.962 into a gm suv platform. I am using a cloned factory pcm to run the factory gm (accessories) that I have bolted to the mercedes engine itself. One of those being the dr44 145 amp alternator, and electric cooling fans. And all of the factory sensors for the gauge cluster to work. Everything that is wired in is wired into the factory Escalade fuse box and the switched power pink wires are running the baldur dsl1 injection pump controller, a quick 4 transmission controller for the 4l65 and my wide band and egt gauges. Those being the 15a inj2/ 15a inj1 and 02 sensor power circuits respectively. There is a tach signal emulator on the Dsl1 that is outputting a 4cyl signal for my cluster and trans controller. It also has programmable optional outputs.

The engine wiring harness I used was from a 2006 that used the external charging controller. I switched the pins for the L and and F terminals to pin 15 and 75 on the green connector so the pcm can take control of the charging directly.

I did not need to repin the connector for the external fan control as the plug was there (blue and green wires), I enabled the 2004 pcm to use the electric fan type under g1203 set to 0. And wired up the fans to work in a series parallel configuration at a reasonable temperature using tuner pro.

The issues I have been having, is that the alternator will charge erratically, and the battery light will remain illuminated and the fans will not come on at all.

That said, there is no way for the pcm to know that this diesel engine is running at all as there is no crank or cam signals to output that the pcm would understand..

Are these signals required for these things to work correctly? This is the pcm im running with the bin file.

VIN: 3GYFK66N54G287020
OS ID: 12587603
Calibration ID: 12587673
Hardware ID: 12583660
Serial Number: 290002874118
Attachments
on the truck 30082020.bin
(1 MiB) Downloaded 157 times
kur4o

Re: Alternator and electric fan issues with diesel swap.

Post by kur4o »

Most of the code is run by interrupts from crank sensor. If pcm don`t have such an info it will stay in ign on loop and most of the code will never be executed. You need to figure some dummy crank signal when the engine is running or you are a toast. I think there are simulators that can do it for you, Just wire it to output the signal, when the mercedes engine is running.
TE27Levin

Post by TE27Levin »

kur4o wrote:Most of the code is run by interrupts from crank sensor. If pcm don`t have such an info it will stay in ign on loop and most of the code will never be executed. You need to figure some dummy crank signal when the engine is running or you are a toast. I think there are simulators that can do it for you, Just wire it to output the signal, when the mercedes engine is running.

Hmm very interesting. That explains a lot...

It is to my understanding that my injection pump has a Coding compiler that works with the software to run it... I have little experience in programming but based on this ---->>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP3liCeotNc do you think the software could make the controller output a 24x crank signal??

EDIT: What would you guys think would be the bare minimum signal for the pcm to think its actually turning? perhaps I could just stick the lq9 crank sensor facing the flywheel..

Anyone? Suggestions? Thanks
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Without being hugely familiar with that exact PCM I'd say a plain 5v square wave signal in to the low frequency crank trigger input would be enough for the ecm to know its running. You might be able to T in to the signal to the real computer without creating any problems (not sure) but since its very likely to be a 5v logic signal, not an analog signal, a small change in voltage from driving both computers may not cause any problems. Otherwise a basic signal generator of any type powered from the 'on' position of the key would do it. Im thinking that something like this might be enough (on the lowest speed setting) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC5V-12V-NE ... 3500084067
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
TE27Levin

Post by TE27Levin »

antus wrote:Without being hugely familiar with that exact PCM I'd say a plain 5v square wave signal in to the low frequency crank trigger input would be enough for the ecm to know its running. You might be able to T in to the signal to the real computer without creating any problems (not sure) but since its very likely to be a 5v logic signal, not an analog signal, a small change in voltage from driving both computers may not cause any problems. Otherwise a basic signal generator of any type powered from the 'on' position of the key would do it. Im thinking that something like this might be enough (on the lowest speed setting) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC5V-12V-NE ... 3500084067

Ill give the signal generator a shot. I left the cam and crank sensor inputs in the harness, ill pull apart the split loom and wire it in to the generator. Cool lets see what happens.
gjestico
cars: Various LS swap junk

Post by gjestico »

What PCM are you using ? In your first line you say 0411 but then later on talk about a 2006 harness and green connector. The 0411 uses Blue/Red connectors.
In any case if the OS you are using is for a V8 of that era it is looking for the unique 24X LS1 crank wheel signal (google it) . Its a non-uniform series of short and long teeth. Its unlikely the PCM would be ok with a simple square wave, Altho there may be some limp home code inside that will try to do something with the "wrong" crank signal.
In the meqasquirt world, Theres a device called the "JimStim" that is used for bench testing ECU's. It can output the LS1 crank wheel signal. It may help you in your situation.
Or, Run a different OS from a V6, They use a simpler 4X crank signal, But the different OS may bring other issues with it ?
TE27Levin

Post by TE27Levin »

gjestico wrote:What PCM are you using ? In your first line you say 0411 but then later on talk about a 2006 harness and green connector. The 0411 uses Blue/Red connectors.
In any case if the OS you are using is for a V8 of that era it is looking for the unique 24X LS1 crank wheel signal (google it) . Its a non-uniform series of short and long teeth. Its unlikely the PCM would be ok with a simple square wave, Altho there may be some limp home code inside that will try to do something with the "wrong" crank signal.
In the meqasquirt world, Theres a device called the "JimStim" that is used for bench testing ECU's. It can output the LS1 crank wheel signal. It may help you in your situation.
Or, Run a different OS from a V6, They use a simpler 4X crank signal, But the different OS may bring other issues with it ?

Sorry its a p59, Its a clone of the 2004 escalade esv bin and OS. I used a simplified harness from a 2006 avalanche so I didn't have to butcher my lq9 harness in case I ran into problems that required me to reinstall the original engine. I have two other pcms I can try and change to a v6 and sample... Yeah the 24x signal is quite complex. I will also look into the Jimstim. I was just looking for the bare minimum required for the pcm to think it has an engine turning under the hood.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

There is also the Ardu-Stim.

Some info on getting it working here.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
TE27Levin

Post by TE27Levin »

Gampy wrote:There is also the Ardu-Stim.

Some info on getting it working here.

Very cool, once again thanks for your help Gampy.

I put a feeler on Kijiji (canada craigs list) to see if anyone has a 24x wheel kicking around. I am tempted to weld it to my water pump pulley if I can find one. I got until the 5th for this thing to be sorted!
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

Any chance that the FWD V6 such as the 3100 or 3400 crank trigger would generate a usable signal?
I know they use a shutter type wheel on the back of the crank pulley.

Mike