Alternator and electric fan issues with diesel swap.

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
TE27Levin
cars: 04 escalade

Re: Alternator and electric fan issues with diesel swap.

Post by TE27Levin »

MudDuck514 wrote:Hi all,

Any chance that the FWD V6 such as the 3100 or 3400 crank trigger would generate a usable signal?
I know they use a shutter type wheel on the back of the crank pulley.

Mike
I'm not sure if that OS to run that would make my alternator function and my cluster not work... Ill have to see what is floating around for me to tinker with.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

gjestico wrote:In any case if the OS you are using is for a V8 of that era it is looking for the unique 24X LS1 crank wheel signal (google it) . Its a non-uniform series of short and long teeth. Its unlikely the PCM would be ok with a simple square wave, Altho there may be some limp home code inside that will try to do something with the "wrong" crank signal.
There both is that, as well as that it what is used on some distributor applications. If the pcm looses the 24x it'll throw a DTC, switch to batch injection and keep running. If you set the platform flag for "low resolution crank", there will be no DTC and it'll run normally assuming the distributor is doing the job of sending the spark to the right cylinder. In this case, since the computer isnt even running the engine, I think it ticks the boxes with or without the DTC. We have discussed in a different context (how to run a v6 on a '0411) here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5023&start=40#p91608
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR »

If it was mine, I would abandon the operating system looking for a 24x signal and go with a v6 truck tune file from an 05. It uses a low resolution crank sensor signal that is very basic. It is a 3 pole crank reluctor of 3 on and 3 off all at equal 60 degree spacings. And it is already setup for electric fans. The baldur box can probably supply that signal.
TE27Levin

Post by TE27Levin »

THEFERMANATOR wrote:If it was mine, I would abandon the operating system looking for a 24x signal and go with a v6 truck tune file from an 05. It uses a low resolution crank sensor signal that is very basic. It is a 3 pole crank reluctor of 3 on and 3 off all at equal 60 degree spacings. And it is already setup for electric fans. The baldur box can probably supply that signal.

Ill start digging on gearhead efi for a suitable bin.
TE27Levin

Post by TE27Levin »

Had this show up today and zapped it together. It will most likely work with the V6 OS and bin it seems..
Attachments
IMG_20200903_143120.jpg
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Oooh, talk about an ancient circuit! A blast from the past if you will.
I remember assembling one of those back in the '80s while in Tech School!
Nothing wrong with it - just brings back memories!

Mike
TE27Levin

Post by TE27Levin »

Any of you fellas have an appropriate 2004+ V6 bin and xdf file to go with it kicking about? Not having much luck.
roughneck427
cars: 2002 Camaro
2008 Pontiac G8

Post by roughneck427 »

TE27Levin wrote:Any of you fellas have an appropriate 2004+ V6 bin and xdf file to go with it kicking about? Not having much luck.

check out the free editor for the V6 stuff called tiny tuner http://theblattners.com/Projects/TinyTuner/default.html
THEFERMANATOR

Post by THEFERMANATOR »

TE27Levin wrote:Any of you fellas have an appropriate 2004+ V6 bin and xdf file to go with it kicking about? Not having much luck.
Are you switching from the 0411 to a p59 pcm? I can try and get you an 04 blazer .bin tomorrow.
TE27Levin

Post by TE27Levin »

THEFERMANATOR wrote:
Are you switching from the 0411 to a p59 pcm? I can try and get you an 04 blazer .bin tomorrow.

I have a p59 in it. I still haven't wired in that pwm generator, but I have the crank sensor wires exposed and ready to go for the generator. Provided its close enough to the v6 signal. For now I bumped up the idle on the dsl1 injection pump controller to 850 rpm. The voltage output of the alternator is a little more stable on the voltmeter. Would like my battery light and fans to work correctly with this... Would also be cool for the fuel pump to cycle normally on key on and running. That would be more ideal and safer than having it run on all the time..