Finally have read the ECU, now what?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
billymild
cars: 2003 Corvette Z06

Finally have read the ECU, now what?

Post by billymild »

2003 Corvette Z06 with a ECS Mail order tune, headers, high flow cats, blackwing intake.

OS Version: 12593358
Calibration ID: 12219521
Hardware ID: 9386530

I assume if these things show up in PCM hammer this is not a customer OS and is just a modified factory tune. I'm trying to tune out a code related to slow O2 sensors codes. The o2 sensors are less than 1 year old and have 1000 miles on it them.

How do you tune out the codes? Do I need TunerPro paid version or will the free version work?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Finally have read the ECU, now what?

Post by antus »

Nothing is for sure as its possible someone modified the OS and didnt change the OSID, but its somewhat unlikely. The aftermarket custom operating systems to have different IDs.

You can get an XDF to edit that file in tunerpro here. Its currently flagged as 'needs testing' so if something looks broken please report it. https://github.com/BoredTruckOwner/LS_B ... 2012593358
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
aaronc7
cars: 2003 C5Z
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

- Free version of TunerPro is fine
- That OS isn't well supported or one of the 'primary' ones developed... like already mentioned you need an XDF table definition file.
- That said, I just loaded up a bin of that OS, and the XDF appears to be correct for the DTC stuff. So you should be able to make the tweaks needed, then write calibration only
- For the DTC tables....
0= 1 trip, emissions related
1= 2 trips, emissions related
2= non emissions
3= disabled/not reported

-MIL/CEL table is simple 0/1 disabled/enabled.
billymild

Post by billymild »

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inject ... db58295200

This site had the correct XDF for my OS version. Now my ECU has been tuned by ECS. They are very popular on the Corvette Forum for mail order tunes.

Mods that I have are longtubes, high flow cats, Blackwing intake, and a few other small things. I keep getting a P0153(Slow O2 sensor warmup). I wanted to turn this code off so it wouldn't effect my car going into closed loop. Attached is screenshot of the DTC's in TunerPro.
Attachments
GIdK1hM.png
aaronc7
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

That's odd for that code to be an issue. I generally don't like to mess with the upstream sensor codes, so that it will tell me if something is going bad. I have similar mods plus a cam and ported heads, have never had that code before or issues with the upstream O2s performance or switching. You may in fact have an O2 sensor issue.

Best thing to do would be to datalog the fuel trims, O2 sensor mv and see what's going on, and go from there.
billymild

Post by billymild »

aaronc7 wrote:That's odd for that code to be an issue. I generally don't like to mess with the upstream sensor codes, so that it will tell me if something is going bad. I have similar mods plus a cam and ported heads, have never had that code before or issues with the upstream O2s performance or switching. You may in fact have an O2 sensor issue.

Best thing to do would be to datalog the fuel trims, O2 sensor mv and see what's going on, and go from there.
I replaced the O2 Sensor and the same sensor code popped up after 2 longer drives.

I have tuned out that slow response code. The interesting piece was when datalogging through the OBDLink app on my phone, the waves look the same for right and left side O2 signal. The sensor looks to work, but the more research I did the more I found people with the same issues. They all Tuned it out.

This process wasn't terrible, I just wish I knew how to do real tuning for A/F so I could get a few more ponies than the mail order tune has.
aaronc7
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

billymild wrote:
aaronc7 wrote:That's odd for that code to be an issue. I generally don't like to mess with the upstream sensor codes, so that it will tell me if something is going bad. I have similar mods plus a cam and ported heads, have never had that code before or issues with the upstream O2s performance or switching. You may in fact have an O2 sensor issue.

I replaced the O2 Sensor and the same sensor code popped up after 2 longer drives.

I have tuned out that slow response code. The interesting piece was when datalogging through the OBDLink app on my phone, the waves look the same for right and left side O2 signal. The sensor looks to work, but the more research I did the more I found people with the same issues. They all Tuned it out.

This process wasn't terrible, I just wish I knew how to do real tuning for A/F so I could get a few more ponies than the mail order tune has.
Hey, yep I hit you up on the facebook group about this too. Sounds like tuning it out was the only logical solution for this one... that one side must just be outside limits. If you're anything like me, I datalog stuff often enough that I would definitely catch it if a sensor took a crap.

As far as what could you do next.... a really good MAF calibration should get your fueling spot on. Beyond that, mess with ignition timing, but I'm going to guess your mail order tune has a decent spark map in there. Then the rest of the stuff is really just tweaking to your preference or specific issues you find. Common stuff is like rev limiter, temps the fans turn on.

The retail solutions are still much much better when it comes to datalogging...which will make MAF tuning a little more work, but definitely do-able. There's tons of DIY guides and videos out there, but I'd be happy to help out or point you in the right direction if that's something that interests you. Just hit me up here, corvette forum, FB, whatever.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

My 2002 was tuned by a previous owner and it has the same OSID. And it still had the same OSID after I had some upgrades done and paid for tuning. I gather that's the latest version of GM's P01 Corvette software, and if you stay naturally aspirated HPT/EFI will just tweak the calibration rather than changing anything in the OS. I think the custom operating systems are only used for forced induction.

There are two XDFs for the '3358 OS. One is from LRT (a user on the gearhead-efi forum), and I tend to use that one more because I like the way things are categorized. The other is by a user here (cmaje) and it is more complete. I toggle back and forth periodically to see what LRT's is missing. It isn't missing much and will probably work fine for most cars, but there are a few things that are only in cmaje's version. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head as it's been a few months since I did any tuning.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!