Gm 4.3 P59, possible?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Gm 4.3 P59, possible?

Post by antus »

Just make sure you know why the checksum is not correct. If its because you edited it, and you know it was good before and you trust the editing tools, all good. If you dont know why its got that error, dont fix and dont use the file. It may be a real problem and you'll make the problem undetectable which could cause your or someone elses pcm to brick later if the file has undetectable damage and ever gets dug up and shared.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Aedakin
cars: 77 El Camino Classic
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

I have Universal Patcher. I was able to find another VATS option with that app. but still, to no avail. even turned off a few items that require a BCM like Smart Cluster. Set the P/N switch to none.and a few other things i cant remember right now. Maybe there is something looking for another module, idk. or maybe the wiring is off one or more wires between 04 and 06.

I will try to fix the check sums and see if that allows TP to work for me.

Thanks guys. always appreciate the help.
Aedakin
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

loaded bin in patcher. hit fix checksums of current file. I got this.

Fixing Checksums:
OS
Checksum 1: D2E8 [OK]
Checksum 2: F683 [Not saved]
EngineCal
Checksum 1: F304 [OK]
Checksum 2: 047D [Not saved]
EngineDiag
Checksum 1: 27D5 [OK]
Checksum 2: 5499 [Not saved]
TransCal
Checksum 1: 1F69 [OK]
Checksum 2: 0F5C [Not saved]
TransDiag
Checksum 1: E4E7 [OK]
Checksum 2: 2A74 [Not saved]
Fuel
Checksum 1: 9B8E [OK]
Checksum 2: FD03 [Not saved]
System
Checksum 1: E683 [OK]
Checksum 2: 54CA [Not saved]
Speedometer
Checksum 1: 14ED [OK]
Checksum 2: EB58 [Not saved]

then proceeded to TP to disable vats. changed option, seems fine. Go to save bin...... same thing. same checksum error.
Aedakin
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

Could segment swaps do anything for me?
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

I think you need to give more info on your current setup.

Engine, pcm, OS, tac module. And what have been done.

I think some of the step is complete skipped and you have some mixture of incompatibility put together.

What can be done to troubleshoot is to start all over again.

Use original pcm[restored to original bin file engine came with].
Use original tac module that came with engine swap.

After that is restored. Read pcm ->use universal patcher to turn off vats-> save bin and flash.

Than we can look at other issues.
joukoy
cars: --

Post by joukoy »

Tunerpro will give checksum error if you don't have correct checksum plugin installed.
Install plugin, or use UniversalPatcher for checksum correction (and tuning).
Aedakin
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

antus wrote:Just make sure you know why the checksum is not correct. If its because you edited it, and you know it was good before and you trust the editing tools, all good. If you dont know why its got that error, dont fix and dont use the file. It may be a real problem and you'll make the problem undetectable which could cause your or someone elses pcm to brick later if the file has undetectable damage and ever gets dug up and shared.
Sorry Antus, didn't see your post before. No I had not changed the checksum. Don't even know how to. Just tried to change a VATS option. earlier today I found a newer release of the 7603 xdf. It did allow me to change the VATS option. I am loading to bin onto the pcm right now.
Aedakin
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

kur4o wrote:I think you need to give more info on your current setup.

Engine, pcm, OS, tac module. And what have been done.

4.3l, p59, currently 7811 but unable to locate xdf so trying to switch over to 6703, tac module?, very little done, just been trying to disable vats or figure out why else the truck wont start with that bin loaded.

I think some of the step is complete skipped and you have some mixture of incompatibility put together.

no idea what that could be

What can be done to troubleshoot is to start all over again.

well that ain't hard, it's a stock swap. runs on 7811 bin but not on 7603. can reload 7811 (actually already did) and I'm started over. I don't know enough to edit anything but a few tune options.

Use original pcm[restored to original bin file engine came with].

that's the only that will let it run so far. the stock bin -VATS

Use original tac module that came with engine swap.

not sure why your talking about a tac module. I don't have one.

After that is restored. Read pcm ->use universal patcher to turn off vats-> save bin and flash.

I have tried Universal Patcher, TP, and EFI Live to disable the VATS. no luck so far.

Than we can look at other issues.
Aedakin
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

honestly, if i ever did a swap with a tac module, i know they can be deleted. they are just one more wear item. in my experience, cables can be 30 plus years old and not have an issue. i assume much older. I have a 2013 Sierra that already needs one replaced. to me its a brand new truck and already has that crapping. its just asking for a delete.

ok, swapping swapping pcm into truck with latest trial 7603 vats trial. brb
Aedakin
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

still a no-go.

a little more for ya Joukoy. Its a stock powertrain swap from an 06 Silverado into my 94 c1500. engine, tranny, pcm and wiring harness. no modifications except removed the clutch fan for a couple electrics. And I can't get that 2 pin alternator to charge so I dropped in an earlier 4 pin. works like a charm. First issue which taught me about the existence of vats led me here. a few gentlemen were able to get me going with the stock bin. So i really don't have to do anything else, but I would like to get going with a bin/os with an xdf to do with it so I can use TP RT for some fine tuning. But like I said, I really don't NEED to do anything else. The truck runs great. plus i think it helps going to a lighter trucks with the lower 373 rear-end. I know my 13 Sierra with the 5.3 would take me in the long run, but I know this 4.3 with the 373's would would leave her at the line every time.

so far the only thing I've done was on my stock 7811 bin, and that was up my timing 2 degrees. I did it slowly, few degrees at a time watching my obd link data for any possible reduction in timing caused by a knock. which obd link wont log knocks.... annoying. I've tried to use pcm logger but cant figure out how to view the logs afterward.