Using PCMHammer for swapping between tunes

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
billymild
cars: 2003 Corvette Z06

Using PCMHammer for swapping between tunes

Post by billymild »

I purchased a OBDLink LX device and just did my first tuning change. Would it be possible to use PCMHammer to swap between different tunes for running nitrous vs. running off nitrous?
In-Tech

Re: Using PCMHammer for swapping between tunes

Post by In-Tech »

Assuming you have a p01(red/blue connnectors) or p59(blue/green connectors) computer, PCMHammer works great. As far as two tunes, why? If it's a wet setup use an IAT Tricker for spark retard, if a dry setup use an IAT Tricker and a MAP Tricker, when nitrous is activated. :thumbup:
billymild
cars: 2003 Corvette Z06

Post by billymild »

In-Tech wrote:Assuming you have a p01(red/blue connnectors) or p59(blue/green connectors) computer, PCMHammer works great. As far as two tunes, why? If it's a wet setup use an IAT Tricker for spark retard, if a dry setup use an IAT Tricker and a MAP Tricker, when nitrous is activated. :thumbup:
I actually bought a LNC2000 for now, but was thinking it would be nice to have less things in the engine bay. I do road racing and its the reason I went with a nitrous kit of more power overall. I am using a Wet Kit. I looked into the IAT Tricker, but couldn't find a good tutorial to building one.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I built my first "IAT Tricker" back in '93 to be used in a '93 Chev Truck 350 I had installed a wet plate on. The trucks don't have an IAT although the code is there, so I had to enable it in the bin file and some other values in the IAT table in the chip. They are pretty simple and cheap to build and if you are inclined to do so I can dig up a rough sketch to post, otherwise I keep a few on the shelf.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

You could use PCM Hammer to swap tunes like that, but I agree that you'd be better off setting up a single tune to work well in all conditions. Flashing has been pretty reliable for me, but... there's a small but nonzero chance that a flash operation will fail... so swapping between two tunes seems like an unnecessary risk.

Could you? Yes. Should you? I personally wouldn't. Especially for a wet nitrous setup, because you can arrange for that to work normally with the nitrous system disabled, and only do nitrous things when nitrous is enabled.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!