A few question that I can't find answers too

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
mysticpete
cars: 1980 corvette with 2004 LS1 statesman transmission; Nissan Pathfinder

A few question that I can't find answers too

Post by mysticpete »

Hi All

I've been reading this site for a few years now off and on and I have always had questions surrounding the exclusion of the LS1 PCM's, I have an 12200411 from a WK statesman that I want to make changes to the fan control system. I can read and download the bin file and use TunerPro RT to read the file, make changes and then use LS1 flash tool to reload the file or other modified bin files that are compatible with my PCM.

So my questions are:

1) What is so different about the LS1 PCM's compared to any others that they have to have different software to read/write to them
2) I cannot find an explanation as to how you relate a physical sensor point (or PCM pin). i.e. fan control, to its relevant pin allocation on the PCM itself, so when certain conditions are met that pin is energised.
3) how would you allocate a spare pin position to perform a function based on conditions you would create.

I know HPtuners displays information in a lot clearer way than TunerPro does but I would like to understand the Hex allocations and how they cross reference to physical pin allocations.

Thanks in advance
Pete
j_ds_au

Re: A few question that I can't find answers too

Post by j_ds_au »

Your questions 2&3 are determined by :
- Whether the associated pin circuitry is designed for signal conditioning (ie. input) or driving (ie. output).
- The firmware, particularly what purposes it uses these inputs and outputs for.

Joe.
mysticpete
cars: 1980 corvette with 2004 LS1 statesman transmission; Nissan Pathfinder

Post by mysticpete »

j_ds_au wrote:Your questions 2&3 are determined by :
- Whether the associated pin circuitry is designed for signal conditioning (ie. input) or driving (ie. output).
- The firmware, particularly what purposes it uses these inputs and outputs for.

Joe.
Thanks for that Joe, I understand.

So if I know a pin circuit is an output, say switching the pin to ground, how would I allocate the function to the circuit?

Also, I loaded two very similar files extracted from a PCM, one is captured to a TunerPro BIN file the other is captured to a HPtuners file, obviously HP shows a lot more detail, for instance for Fan 1 control there are 10 options available to edit where as the TunerPro file only shows 4 available options, I am therefore scratching my head as to where the other options are hidden in the BIN file if at all?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

controlling a pin in a non standard way is not generic, you need to change the operating system software which takes deep knowledge of embedded software development and reverse engineering. to get an idea of what i mean see this thread. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6247

when you say tunerpro you are referring to the xdf you are using to define whats in the bin. the hpt file format includes compression and encryption presumably to make it hard to learn from their software, and to make it incompatible with other software.

what is in the xdf is limited by the amount of time and skill the person who wrote the xdf had. often people will put in what they think people will need and they may or may not build an update with more items depending on the feedback they get as well as their own reasons.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

A tad more ...
mysticpete wrote:I am therefore scratching my head as to where the other options are hidden in the BIN file if at all?
Also depends on the Operating System in use, they are not all the same, some are close, but not the same.
That is why the XDF must match the OsID.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!