PCM Hammer Release 015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
B52Bombardier1
cars: 1970 Chevy El Camino with an LM7 modern GM engine.

2013 Chevrolet SS Camaro

Re: PCM Hammer Release 015 (Preview)

Post by B52Bombardier1 »

PCM Hammer 14 Debug.txt
(3.19 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
PCM Hammer 15 Difficulty.png
PCM Hammer 15 Difficulty.png (34.84 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
Hello,

I'm having trouble with both PCM Hammer 14 and 15. Please see attached screen shots and debug logs. Seems to be the same problem in both variants of the program. It also does not appear to be a problem with the ELM device because that device is usable by other programs and other Android and Windows devices.

Many thanks,

Rick
Attachments
PCM Hammer Difficulty.png
PCM Hammer Difficulty.png (46.71 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

That is a Windows Port issue, not a PCM Hammer issue.

If you have damaged or unmanaged ports you can clean them with the following steps,

For Windows versions less then 10.
Find the "Command Prompt" shortcut and Right-Click on it,
Select: Run as administrator
If required, Enter: Password
At the command prompt type (or copy paste) the following two commands,
set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
devmgmt.msc
For Windows 10 and greator ...
In the Search box type
devmgmt
and select Device Manager.
When Device Manager opens,
Select: View
Select: Show hidden devices
In the Device Manager Tree view,
Expand: Ports (COM & LPT)
On any ports you want to remove,
Select: Right Click
Select: Uninstall
In the Confirm Device Uninstall dialog,
Un-Check: Delete the driver software for this device
Select: Ok

The next time you plug the device in, it will re-install ...

I personally Uninstall all virtual COM ports and just allow them to reinstall in the specific order I plug the devices back in ... That way I get what I want on the ports I want them on.
Last edited by Gampy on Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I agree, windows is sending an io error back when the app trys to talk to the com port. maybe we could catch the exception and log an error about being unable to open the port, but it wont get it working for you. also, you mention elm device. Note that the original elm and clones cant be used with pcm hammer as they are too limited to do whats needed.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
B52Bombardier1
cars: 1970 Chevy El Camino with an LM7 modern GM engine.

2013 Chevrolet SS Camaro

Post by B52Bombardier1 »

It is an OBDLink MX device that has worked well until very recently. I will try the port commands and let you know how that goes.

Rick
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

The device gets assigned a port and that port is used repeatedly every time you plug it in, regardless of software. I just had this happen on my AVT-852. I thought my AVT died as multiple software I have that uses that device wouldn't communicate. As a last ditch effort, I cleared all of the com ports except my db9 com1. When I plugged back in after that, it assigned and installed a port again(I paid attention to which one) and it worked perfect.

Here's the same thing Gampy is describing but with pictures :mrgreen:
Make COM ports available.pdf
(373.75 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Did you re-write that document or is still having folks make permanent changes to their system for something that should be temporary ??

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Besides removing the ports, It's always been a temporary thing for me. If it is doing something wrong, I can edit the pdf. I can be slow sometimes so pics always help. I have only used it in XP so newer winjunk may have a problem I am not aware of.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Deleted ... Sorry, to argumentative and just not worth it!

BTW, that environment variable is only needed on Windows <10, Windows 10 (and hopefully greater) does not need it.

Gampy

Post by Gampy »

And to get back on track ... This issue is already trapped and handled!

B52Bombardier1's, Debug log is 014, the upper image is 015, the lower image is 014.

Only the log (014) and lower image (014) have the unhandled exception, the upper image (015) shows it is handled!

NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Version 015 is in the Windows store now, for both the flasher and the logger.

It's exactly the same code as the .zip file, and I'm only aware of one reason to prefer one over the other: If you plan on editing the XML files that contain logger parameters, you'll want to use the .zip file just so they will be easier to find.

When you install from the store, Windows puts everything in hidden directory. It still accessible but you'll have to go hunting for it. I will look for a way to put those XML files into a visible directory in the next release.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!