success switching OS, but air bag light now stuck

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
draz53
cars: 2000 Camaro SS

success switching OS, but air bag light now stuck

Post by draz53 »

Just switched my 00 Camaro to the 2156 OS, the write OS function using pcmhammer15+obdx pro v2 worked perfectly, car started and ran just like before the switch.

One little problem is that now the air bag light is stuck on. The bin I used is from an 02 TA, supposedly stock, and those were basically identical to my car, BCM should be the same as far as I know. I saw a long thread on here last year about a Holden Commodore with the same issue, requiring a different scanner/hardware to turn the light off. I have the hptuners scanner, which is useless for this. Any updates on how to fix this? Would writing entire bin make any difference?
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: success switching OS, but air bag light now stuck

Post by ironduke »

I think your problem would lie with changing the BCM
ECM shouldn't matter, heck you should be able to turn the key on with the ECM unplugged and watch the airbag light flash 7 times and go out..

Now if you change the BCM or SDM(airbag module) then you'll have to learn the restraints ID of the SDM in the BCM using a tech2 or tech2win with a gm mdi.. You said the BCM should be the same, did you swap out the BCM in the car?
draz53

Post by draz53 »

No BCM has not been touched and have never had a problem with it, I phrased that wrong, just thinking it must be involved somehow.

Also you mentioned restraints, the 2156 xdf I'm using has a "restraints ID" with no comment attached, it was set to 0. There was no such setting in the previous stock OS (9381344), at least via hptuners. So that ID's the airbags?
Last edited by draz53 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

draz53 wrote:No BCM has not been touched and have never had a problem with it, I phrased that wrong, just thinking it must be involved somehow.
thanks for verifying that at least.. that's a new one on me for any gm car to get an SIR light from a different OS in the ECM? Could see a theft light if you changed the vin but don't know or didn't know that could cause an SIR light issue..
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

Post by bubba2533 »

Did you change the VIN number in the new OS to match the vehicle/BCM VIN?
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

Sir module is connected to pcm via aldl line. Sir module commands airbag light on dash.

Possible causes.
The pcm sends bad format data to sir module and it freaks out, the sir light is on.
Pcm send good data to sir module but the RESTRAINTS ID is mismatched between pcm and sir.

Possible solutions.
Read Sir module dtc and try to set new constraint ID if possible.
Post old bin and new bin and I will try to figure the ID in both and see if they are good.

Also you can flash old bin and sniff aldl data messages.
Than flash new bin and sniff aldl data messages.

Than some analysis can be made.
draz53

Post by draz53 »

The VIN was changed to be correct in the new OS before uploading it.

Re the restraint id: I found two possibilities for that number, either the 7th number of the VIN which is 2, which means "manual belts with built-in safety" (info from classindustries.com), whatever than means, or 3 which means "manual belts with driver's side airbag", which is what the car actually has. I have tried setting it both ways in the 2156 OS, neither one works, meaning light still stays on after starting the car.

Will post bins when I get a chance.
Last edited by draz53 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

Do you have access to tool that will read SIR dtcs. That way we will know for sure why the lamp is on.
draz53

Post by draz53 »

kur4o wrote:Do you have access to tool that will read SIR dtcs. That way we will know for sure why the lamp is on.
No don't have, can look into getting one. I suspect the actual dtc would be bogus though.
Last edited by draz53 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
draz53

Post by draz53 »

Anyone know if it's possible the BCM or the SIR(?) uses the PCM's serial number to communicate with it, or to recognize it? I did put that serial number from the original OS into the new OS. The other calibration values (except VIN) in the new OS I left alone.

I was also thinking of trying to segment swap the old calibration segment into the new OS, but that seems like it would be asking for trouble.