PcmLogger Parameter ID's

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

PcmLogger Parameter ID's

Post by Gampy »

Admittingly I know very little about the logger, I've spent very little time with it for I have nothing to log.
I do not have a full understanding of the code ...

The value 'ID' in the Parameters.Standard.xml, is that supposed to be a unique value ??
It does appear to be used as a unique value.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
turbotech
cars: slow

Re: PcmLogger Parameter ID's

Post by turbotech »

The Pcm Logger XML file Parameter ID is the value of the PCM PID you want to retreive from the PCM. For example, the MAP Sensor KPA PID 000B reports the KPA value in the logger. if you entered id = "000B" in the XLM file you would get the KPA from the Map Sensor.

When debugging OS changes, I modify the PCM OS section that does this reporting. For example, I will change the PCM OS to report the LSByte of the value is reads from an A/D in the PCM OS code of the PID 000B function so that PCM Logger reports PID 000B and I make the units as NONE instead of KPA.

I also use this for other stuff like finding unused RAM locations that I can use for other functions, and report these new variables. Once I have the OS changes stable then I will look for "unused" PIDs to make the changes permanent and report to the new PIDs.

I started doing this in 2002 with the GM ECMs and this method works in the same fashion with the PCMs.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I've seen the light!

I didn't realize what I was seeing as duplicates are Boolean parameters.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

For the standard parameters, the parameter IDs are the PID numbers, because they're the same in all supported PCMs.

For the RAM parameters, it's more complicated. The same parameter will have a different address in different operating systems. I've designed the XML schema so that when we have lots of RAM parameters defined for multiple operating systems, it should be possible for people to share log profiles that work with any operating system, as long as the parameters are defined for their operating system. So the IDs are unique values, and the XML file for a particular OS maps those IDs to the right addresses for that OS.

So far the only OS I've done any real work on is the 3358 OS that came in my Corvette, and I mostly just defined parameters that were useful (or that seemed useful) while I was working on return-to-idle tuning.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Thank you sir!