XDF for 12613246 OS

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
In-Tech

Re: XDF for 12613246 OS

Post by In-Tech »

0 = Serial Vats
1 = PWM Vats
2 = No Vats

Make sure to correct the checksum in that module. Find an unused FF and make it FD :thumbup:
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

In-Tech wrote:You can also take it apart with very few torx bits and just look at the flash memory chip. One says intel and the other says amd ;)
Why contaminate the interior of the unit when a piece of software will tell you this in less time, with less effort ??

Not everyone lives in sunny California's San Joaquin Valley where the Pcm's are just covered in peat dust, if that! :D
For example, I live in the rust belt, the Pcm's here are crusty and corroded as hell especially in between the cover and case, pulling the cover fills them with particulate, makes a mess out of the seal, thus you have no choice but spend the time pulling it completely apart and cleaning it.
In-Tech wrote:0 = Serial Vats
1 = PWM Vats
2 = No Vats

Make sure to correct the checksum in that module. Find an unused FF and make it FD :thumbup:
I assume this is what HPT says ... Others say different, and if you _read_ this thread you will see the OP already tried 2 and it didn't work!

Again, why use a hammer when a piece of software will get it done correctly without an odd change that will be forgotten about or unknown to another ... :D
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Gampy wrote:
In-Tech wrote:You can also take it apart with very few torx bits and just look at the flash memory chip. One says intel and the other says amd ;)
Why contaminate the interior of the unit when a piece of software will tell you this in less time, with less effort ??

Not everyone lives in sunny California's San Joaquin Valley where the Pcm's are just covered in peat dust, if that! :D
For example, I live in the rust belt, the Pcm's here are crusty and corroded as hell especially in between the cover and case, pulling the cover fills them with particulate, makes a mess out of the seal, thus you have no choice but spend the time pulling it completely apart and cleaning it.
1 = PWM Vats
2 = No Vats

I assume this is what HPT says ... Others say different, and if you _read_ this thread you will see the OP already tried 2 and it didn't work!

Again, why use a hammer when a piece of software will get it done correctly without an odd change that will be forgotten about or unknown to another ... :D
Gampy, you are always helpful. I was trying to be as well :) Yes, you are correct that the san joaquin valley is pretty favorable in the salt factor. However, we do have the fog, as you know, which does have an affect on the MAF internals. People think they are 4wd monsters and they are not, other things are affected too. So, we get the covered in crap ecu/ecm/tcm/pcm too. I generally buy stuff from back east, price is right. will soda blast and then take apart anyway. :)
All I was suggesting is if this person only changed the VATS byte and didn't correct the checksum, they will have no prayer of it firing. It is really cool how GM made sure of weirdness. I have not played the VATS on the 2006+ p59 so it might be weird. My bs grand prix doesn't work if I play with the VATS, so who knows. ;)
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

In-Tech,

That response reads like I possibly offended you ... If I did, I am wrong for I did not mean to do so!

My apologies!

Yes, that damn tule fog is very deadly for sure, especially in the delta region ...
Been there done that driving with the door open looking down at the line and cannot see it, yet semi-trucks can be in clear air, they just can't see the road/ground! Or cars in front of them!

The problem is, crap gets between the cover and case and there is no way to get it out but pull the cover, blasting won't get it out I've tried, it makes it worse ...
Now it's contaminated and you have to clean the internals and that sticky silicone seal.
If I can keep from opening them I do and I recommend not opening them!
As I'm sure you know, contamination causes premature failure.

The OP did use UP to make the change, it should have corrected the sums, I do not know if it does it automatically or has to be told too, never checked that.

Only one way to find out if the OP doesn't respond with success actions!
Do it ourselves!
Unfortunately I have no way to test the PCM ... No blue here, I fly different colors!

Again, If I offended you I am sorry, I did not mean to do so!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
tt03

Post by tt03 »

Gampy wrote:In-Tech,

That response reads like I possibly offended you ... If I did, I am wrong for I did not mean to do so!

My apologies!

Yes, that damn tule fog is very deadly for sure, especially in the delta region ...
Been there done that driving with the door open looking down at the line and cannot see it, yet semi-trucks can be in clear air, they just can't see the road/ground! Or cars in front of them!

The problem is, crap gets between the cover and case and there is no way to get it out but pull the cover, blasting won't get it out I've tried, it makes it worse ...
Now it's contaminated and you have to clean the internals and that sticky silicone seal.
If I can keep from opening them I do and I recommend not opening them!
As I'm sure you know, contamination causes premature failure.

The OP did use UP to make the change, it should have corrected the sums, I do not know if it does it automatically or has to be told too, never checked that.

Only one way to find out if the OP doesn't respond with success actions!
Do it ourselves!
Unfortunately I have no way to test the PCM ... No blue here, I fly different colors!

Again, If I offended you I am sorry, I did not mean to do so!

My apologies for the late response, I was doing this for a buddy and still haven't gotten the service number so I'll let you know when or if I get it from him. I kept the value at 2 and my buddy states that after disconnecting his battery and connecting it back it now fires up. Unsure what happened but he says that has done the trick and vats is now disabled. I'll attach the bin I used to settle any conflict on checksum or such issues.
tt03

Post by tt03 »

Here's the bin. Vats and a couple DTC disabled.
Attachments
1mbOriginalBin(NO VATS, NO REAR O2).bin
(1 MiB) Downloaded 136 times
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

tt03 wrote:My apologies for the late response, I was doing this for a buddy and still haven't gotten the service number so I'll let you know when or if I get it from him. I kept the value at 2 and my buddy states that after disconnecting his battery and connecting it back it now fires up. Unsure what happened but he says that has done the trick and vats is now disabled. I'll attach the bin I used to settle any conflict on checksum or such issues.
Thank you for responding what worked!

Something that doesn't happen so often ... Many ask questions, get answers then disappear never responding with what actually worked!
Thank You!

About the full power cycle as well.
I assume everyone does that ... Bad assumption!

Notes made ...

tt03

Post by tt03 »

Gampy wrote:
tt03 wrote:My apologies for the late response, I was doing this for a buddy and still haven't gotten the service number so I'll let you know when or if I get it from him. I kept the value at 2 and my buddy states that after disconnecting his battery and connecting it back it now fires up. Unsure what happened but he says that has done the trick and vats is now disabled. I'll attach the bin I used to settle any conflict on checksum or such issues.
Thank you for responding what worked!

Something that doesn't happen so often ... Many ask questions, get answers then disappear never responding with what actually worked!
Thank You!

About the full power cycle as well.
I assume everyone does that ... Bad assumption!

Notes made ...
Ohh alrighty man, I like learning and it doesn't bother me to spend a few hours to learn the basics of something like this and hex/checksums or such related things to flashing these. Community is amazing, people like you are the reason I know the little bit that I do know, Thanks! Also the power cycle could you explain that? From your experience does that make a difference? It seems to have done the trick in this situation but unsure if it's common or not. Also if you wouldn't mind could you explain a bit about hex and checksum if you do happen to know? From my understanding or honestly guess a checksum is a value that corresponds to the body or other hex values other things to check whether its modified? (Basically like when using PCM hammer it show *modified* or *stock*). Honestly just a curious person who likes to learn and doesn't mind spending time learning this stuff, Thanks once again for the help!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I'm not real hip on the boot process, however I suspect there are some parameters that are not intended to be changed once written and are only read during a full power up after a total power shutdown.
Hard boot as I call it ... i.e. when the battery is disconnected for a short period of time then reconnected.
I call Ignition off/on a soft boot.

Another thought is, it could also be GM's way of trying to prevent an OBD Dongle from being able to disable VATS in nano seconds ...

Battery disconnect and Key off are two different things ... Even though the Key is off, the PCM is still running, the only way to stop the PCM completely is to unhook the battery!

Does it make a difference ... I make it a practice to hard boot what ever kind of computer I'm working on after making changes, it's my rule, I stick to it!
I follow that rule because I have chased my tail with an issue more then once, only to discovery I had fixed the issue with the first attempt, but failed to hard boot the computer for the fix to take affect.

Being in hurry most typically costs more time!

Checksums are the addition sum of bytes of a specific region, yes they are meant to detect corruption.
That is why In-Tech stated,
1 = PWM Vats
2 = No Vats

If you change the parameter from 0 to 2 ... That adds two to the math, now the Checksum is off, so you find an unused byte in the same region (module) and subtract two ... i.e. change a 0xFF to 0xFD to compensate.

The only thing that bothers me about his comment is that HP Tuners was right! Arrrg! :evil: ;)
O-wells, they are the BIG BEAST after all, I just don't like feeding beasts, they just get bigger!

Curiosity is the path to intelligence!

tt03

Post by tt03 »

Gampy wrote:I'm not real hip on the boot process, however I suspect there are some parameters that are not intended to be changed once written and are only read during a full power up after a total power shutdown.
Hard boot as I call it ... i.e. when the battery is disconnected for a short period of time then reconnected.
I call Ignition off/on a soft boot.

Another thought is, it could also be GM's way of trying to prevent an OBD Dongle from being able to disable VATS in nano seconds ...

Battery disconnect and Key off are two different things ... Even though the Key is off, the PCM is still running, the only way to stop the PCM completely is to unhook the battery!

Does it make a difference ... I make it a practice to hard boot what ever kind of computer I'm working on after making changes, it's my rule, I stick to it!
I follow that rule because I have chased my tail with an issue more then once, only to discovery I had fixed the issue with the first attempt, but failed to hard boot the computer for the fix to take affect.

Being in hurry most typically costs more time!

Checksums are the addition sum of bytes of a specific region, yes they are meant to detect corruption.
That is why In-Tech stated,
1 = PWM Vats
2 = No Vats

If you change the parameter from 0 to 2 ... That adds two to the math, now the Checksum is off, so you find an unused byte in the same region (module) and subtract two ... i.e. change a 0xFF to 0xFD to compensate.

The only thing that bothers me about his comment is that HP Tuners was right! Arrrg! :evil: ;)
O-wells, they are the BIG BEAST after all, I just don't like feeding beasts, they just get bigger!

Curiosity is the path to intelligence!

Ohh alright the Hard Boot makes sense now! As far as checksums that makes sense, I did change vats using tuner pro after modifying the xdf from UP because it only allowed a value of 1 and did add the checksum plugin from here (https://github.com/joukoy/gm-checksum-plugins). Not sure if I did it right after all I am just learning but hey it worked!