IPC Hammer

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
bbmike
cars: Too many!!

Re: IPC Hammer

Post by bbmike »

Thanks for the icon. It’s in the newest release along with hours correction on 03-06 trucks.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

bbmike wrote:Thanks for the icon. It’s in the newest release along with hours correction on 03-06 trucks.
Fast work on that hours request, thanks a lot for all the work your putting into this!!!!!
bbmike

Post by bbmike »

It’s been on the list of things to add for a while now. Thanks for the info on where to find the info on how to do it.
bbmike

Post by bbmike »

Ironduke when using the gm ipc setup does it have you run the vehicle after setting the miles and hours. It’s been pointed out that the 03/04 trucks lose the hours after a power cycle. I’m suspecting that the 03/04 don’t have the need routine to write the hours to the eeprom.
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

bbmike wrote:Ironduke when using the gm ipc setup does it have you run the vehicle after setting the miles and hours. It’s been pointed out that the 03/04 trucks lose the hours after a power cycle. I’m suspecting that the 03/04 don’t have the need routine to write the hours to the eeprom.
The one I just did was an 06 and on that per instructions it had me turn the key off for a minute and then back on..

I'll dig thru my memory banks a bit but I vaguely remember having to start and run the engine per sps instructions for something like 30 seconds before doing an IPC setup but it was years ago. I'm 90% sure it was a truck IPC and I kinda remember being thrown a little by the instructions.. They didn't start letting us program the mileage and hours til about 15 years ago? Don't remember exactly but it was in the middle of the 03-07 trucks I think?

I have an older bench unit that has a newer OS on it, never did get it straightened out, but my plow truck is an 03 and I can probably find some time tomorrow to play around with the mileage and hours settings on that if it would help.. Anything special I should try? I can try changing hours and just cycling power, if that doesn't retain I'll try the same thing but starting and running it for 30 seconds before power cycling it..

Edited... found it.. 07-08-49-015D: Information on Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Odometer and Engine Hour Meter Set Up at Dealership After IPC Replacement - (May 4, 2010)
Something in Red is usually pretty important, lol.. below in the text I found this.. I can upload the whole document if you'd like it?

Important: FOR 2003 FULLSIZE TRUCKS, UTILITIES AND H2, THE ENGINE MUST BE STARTED AND RUNNING PRIOR TO ENTERING THE MILEAGE AND ENGINE HOURS. After the odometer value is programmed, the engine must remain running for 6 minutes 15 seconds before the ignition can be turned off. Failure to do so will result in engine hours not being programmed and a new IPC will have to be ordered.
bbmike

Post by bbmike »

That makes sense on the window in the gm software. That said something about the engine running. I’ve only tried the ipcsetup once. And it didn’t show any text so I wasn’t sure what anything meant.
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

Found another bulletin with some other info, so far it's only 2003 IPC's that are effected with the hours issue? #07187C: Special Coverage Adjustment - Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle Function - (Mar 20, 2009)
I don't know why it HAS to have the engine running? Does it not write the hours to eeprom unless it sees rpm for almost 6 minutes, but only for 2003? lol.. Or are they just wanting the ignition on but afraid the battery will die if left on for 6 minutes? lol.. This was waaay before they came out with battery maintainers at dealers..

2003 Model Year Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Pre-Programming Instructions
Install the IPC. Ensure everything is connected properly. The replacement IPC requires SPS Programming and IPC Setup procedures to be performed. It does not matter which procedure is performed first.
Start the engine and then select IPC Setup. You must have the engine running before performing the IPC Setup.
Select IPC Setup. With the engine running, enter the appropriate mileage and engine hours.
Select "OK". Review the pop up asking you to verify the mileage and engine hours. Move the pop up out of the way if necessary to view the verification screen. This may require a click and drag of the dialog box.
Verify that the mileage and engine hours are correct and select "OK". DO NOT turn the ignition OFF until the engine has "run" for approximately seven (7) minutes. Allowing the engine to idle for this period of time allows the IPC to accumulate 1/10th of an hour and write the correct engine hour value to the permanent memory.
The engine must be running before set up is performed and run for approximately seven minutes after the user selects "OK" confirming their mileage/engine hour inputs. After approximately seven minutes, shut the engine OFF and complete the event. The seven minute clock starts after you select "OK", confirming the entries.
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

Been reading about IPC programming the last few days. Really appreciate everyone's work.

I have a few questions on the 99-02 IPC.

-Is a 7k tach possible with what is currently known in the flash?
-Will IPC Hammer fix the ODO for 99-02?

Regarding the software, the checkbox that is pulled up to modify the flash has a left and right column of checkboxes that appear to be identical. Which side is used to modify the flash? I see there is a 16-bit hex number, then it splits into left and right 8-bit above the left and right columns. Can someone quickly explain what's going on here?

Thanks.
bbmike

Post by bbmike »

A 7k tach is not currently possible on the 99-02. Don’t know if it will ever be possible. I believe they are not reprogrammable. IPChammer will not do 99-02 mileage yet. Still working on that.
The checkboxes are the individual bits of the two bytes that are read and written when modifying the options the left side checkboxes go to the first byte and the right got to the second byte. The 99-02 clusters use both bytes to change the options while the 03-06 clusters mainly just use the second byte.
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

OK got it, thankyou.

Is the thought that 7k is not possible due to only modifying the external mem chip and not the OS? due to the main chip being flashed in the die and non-programmable? I think I read/saw something along these lines.

How well is the 03-06 cluster understood? Maybe it's just easier to use a 03-06 cluster and set it up to work on the earlier trucks if its fully programmable. Has anyone put the cluster dump into IDA or similiar to start mapping it?