PCMHammer: Unable to erase flash memory: Error

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: PCMHammer: Unable to erase flash memory: Error

Post by Gampy »

wsbadmf wrote:Is there something PCM Hammer does that prevents other software from being able to write afterwards?
No, it does not.

What some do is change the Seed/Key and that creates a slight detour in the process, not a road block!

To do a test Calibration Write, use the original GM OS on the PCM, read the bin off, make a change to the bin using TunerPro or UniversalPatcher, what the change is doesn't matter as long as the checksums are corrected, write the calibration back ...
Or find a bin of the same OS for a different vehicle that has a different calibration. Plenty of them out there, or ask!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
wsbadmf
cars: 1969 Olds F85 TT LQ4/4l80 in progress
1986 IROC lS1/T56 in progress
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT stock
1999 Corvette FRC A&A Ti Kit
2016 GMC Sierra E-Force TVS2650

Post by wsbadmf »

Gampy wrote:
wsbadmf wrote:Is there something PCM Hammer does that prevents other software from being able to write afterwards?
No, it does not.

What some do is change the Seed/Key and that creates a slight detour in the process, not a road block!

To do a test Calibration Write, use the original GM OS on the PCM, read the bin off, make a change to the bin using TunerPro or UniversalPatcher, what the change is doesn't matter as long as the checksums are corrected, write the calibration back ...
Or find a bin of the same OS for a different vehicle that has a different calibration. Plenty of them out there, or ask!
If I understand what you are saying some of the plug and play "tuners" will change Seed/Key but that should not have happened when cloning my PCM.

I am running a HP Tuners 2 bar OS as my c5 is supercharged so I'm guessing there are not other bins for the open source programs. I was under the impression that I could clone my existing PCM then have this one ready on the shelf should I brick the one in the car. Then swap it in and continue using it as if it was the old one including update the calibration. If that should be possible do you (or anyone who sees this) have any tips on what I may have done or be doing wrong? Anything different about a drive by wire PCM to a drive by cable? If I remember correctly it is only the P59s that differ where some do not have the IAC drivers for drive by cable.

Maybe I could pull the original PCM out of the car and put it on the bench and see if I can write to it and see if the car will run on this one.

Thank you
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

You are cloning 99 OS to a 02 pcm. That might be a problem, since the pcms between 99-00 and 01-02 are not completely identical.

Usually people put newer Os to an older pcm. Never seen one put older OS on a newer pcm.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Nothing about HP Turers has ever been a consideration during the development of PCM Hammer.

I don't know why HPT wasn't able to work with the 2nd PCM. My only guess is that your power supply caused this problem too.

That said... using PCM Hammer to duplicate a PCM with an HPT custom OS seems ethical when its for your own personal use, but it is ethically and legally perilous if anyone does it to avoid paying HPT. So I don't want PCM Hammer to become famous for being able to work around HPT's licensing or pricing. So, personally, I'm not inclined to put much effort into this kind of thing.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
wsbadmf
cars: 1969 Olds F85 TT LQ4/4l80 in progress
1986 IROC lS1/T56 in progress
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT stock
1999 Corvette FRC A&A Ti Kit
2016 GMC Sierra E-Force TVS2650

Post by wsbadmf »

kur4o wrote:You are cloning 99 OS to a 02 pcm. That might be a problem, since the pcms between 99-00 and 01-02 are not completely identical.

Usually people put newer Os to an older pcm. Never seen one put older OS on a newer pcm.

You were exactly right! I realized the other P01 PCM I had was from a 99 2500 so I cloned my C5 PCM onto that and was able to make a calibration change from HPTuners. Thank you!

NSFW wrote:Nothing about HP Turers has ever been a consideration during the development of PCM Hammer.

I don't know why HPT wasn't able to work with the 2nd PCM. My only guess is that your power supply caused this problem too.

That said... using PCM Hammer to duplicate a PCM with an HPT custom OS seems ethical when its for your own personal use, but it is ethically and legally perilous if anyone does it to avoid paying HPT. So I don't want PCM Hammer to become famous for being able to work around HPT's licensing or pricing. So, personally, I'm not inclined to put much effort into this kind of thing.
I completely understand and that is my intended purpose here...a backup PCM to keep on the shelf. As I said to kur4o above, it worked on another 99 PCM exactly as expected. I simply had no idea there were differences between the 99/00 P01s and the 01+. Guess they are unique like the LQ4 engines that way. The program rocks and did exactly what it was supposed to. All of my issues were due to my lack of knowledge but thanks to the replies here I was able to work through them.

Thank you for your and other's work creating and improving PCMHammer and thank you all who replied and helped me out. Now onto learning how to make tuning changes!