Vcx nano error 126 using PCM hammer SOLVED!

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Re: Vcx nano error 126 using PCM hammer

Post by Cincinnatus »

I have amd a6 processor and got my nano to work installed directly on windows 10 without running VM. I read that it would only work that way because of my processor being amd instead of Intel. Don't know if windows is built (structured) differently on my PC.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Sorry, not buying the AMD chip thing, I just don't believe it.

IMO it was the VM, things were not properly setup ...

PCM Hammer looks to the following standardized locations in the registry for the dll location.

Code: Select all

"Software\\PassThruSupport.04.04";
        "Software\\Wow6432Node\\PassThruSupport.04.04";
Just because it says LoadLibrary(VCX.DLL) does not mean it cannot find the VCX.DLL ... It just means it could not load it!
It very well could have found VCX.DLL and VCX.DLL was not able to find something like VCRUNTIME140.dll or any one of the number of imports VCX.DLL requires.

Only the authors of VCX.DLL know EXACTLY what error 126 means, but I'm pretty sure it's along the lines of cannot find a required import ...

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

So am I correct in assuming that vcx.dll is part of the nano software? Just wondering how forscan was able to use my nano as installed if I'm missing something in windows (I disabled auto update if that would matter) such as the vc_redist 2015. This computer is only 3 years old, and I updated when I set it up but haven't recently. I just don't want to install anything I don't need or might cause problems. I realize this is beta software and I don't expect anything and really appreciate you taking time to try and help me. I'll check my registry and post what I find. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Cincinnatus wrote:So am I correct in assuming that vcx.dll is part of the nano software? Just wondering how forscan was able to use my nano as installed if I'm missing something in windows (I disabled auto update if that would matter) such as the vc_redist 2015. This computer is only 3 years old, and I updated when I set it up but haven't recently. I just don't want to install anything I don't need or might cause problems. I realize this is beta software and I don't expect anything and really appreciate you taking time to try and help me. I'll check my registry and post what I find. Thanks!
yes sir, that is correct, vcx.dll belongs to the Nano, it is the Nano's public J2534 API (Application Programmers Interface).

Any software that uses the Nano would load that vcx.dll ...

vc_redists are not a big deal, they are required by many applications and are typically installed without user knowledge!
They are also pretty cleanly removable.

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

20210802_233504.jpg
So I checked registry. There is no pass thru directly under software, but there is under wow6432node. I'll try the vc_redist and see if that fixes it.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

See "FunctionLibrary", that is what all software looks for to find the devices driver, in this case it's vcxpt32.dll, vcxpt32.dll loads vcx.dll.

What are you using for a VM ??

-Enjoy

antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

The AMD A6 is an old low end processor. There are several variations but I believe at least some, maybe all, dont support hardware virtualisation. So this means the VM runs slower and as software emulating hardware compared to newer or bigger processors where VM software offloads the VM heavy lifting to the CPU hardware. Virtualisation back in the old days was 100% software, so it can work, but its less reliable and more subject to problems. So this has been a strange one, but you have confirmed there is a bug in the VM that is triggering when the VCX dll tries to load. Its possible there might be some type of anti-tamper code in there that does something strange too due to the vcx devices having been cloned in the past. You can keep using what you have of course but i'd suggest starting to think about updating to a newer amd ryzen or intel system when you can.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

I'm not running any VM. I downloaded the software and Installed directly on windows 10 64bit. I knew this processor was weak and my past experience with VM was torture so I tried it without VM and it worked. I read this processor works like the older 32 bit and that's why it worked but I only know it always worked.
Last edited by Cincinnatus on Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ahh gotcha, thought you meant the other way around! Thats still strange and interesting :thumbup:
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Where is functionlibrary? I couldn't find it in registry or anywhere else.