Vcx nano error 126 using PCM hammer SOLVED!

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: Vcx nano error 126 using PCM hammer

Post by Gampy »

My gut feeling is it has to do with vcx.dll being in the Windows directory structure ...
(That is so wrong in my book)

Sandbox was the word I was looking for earlier ... Thanks!

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

It's looking like J2534 and Windows Store are inherently incompatible, for two reasons.

J2534 works by having applications load DLLs that are created by the tool vendor, and Windows Store apps are only allowed to load DLLs that are packed with the app when the app is submitted to the store. If that was the only issue, we could probably work around it bundling third-party J2534 DLLs with the app - technically that would run afoul of copyright, but realistically I suspect tool vendors would be happy to have their tools supported. But wait there's more...

DLLs loaded by Windows Store apps are only allowed to use the same APIs that Windows Store apps use. The Windows Store API limits access to low level APIs, like those that interface with hardware. The J2534 spec is older than Windows Store. So it seems pretty unlikely that any J2534 DLLs are accessing J2534 hardware in a way that is Windows-Store compliant.

So it looks like the closest thing to a solution to this problem would be to put "Warning: does not support J2534 devices" in the Windows Store app description, and remove the J2534 option from the device picker dialog box.

That kinda sucks, so I'm going to reach out to a couple people I know at Microsoft to see if there's way to make this actually work. But I think I already know what they're going to say.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

My MDI clone works ... Yes, PCMHammer is from the app store, and this box is a virgin, it's never seen either before, PCMHammer or the MDI.

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Focking MS always trying to save us from ourselves :( Stop helping me Gary(that's a guy at my shop always trying to help and fooks shite up all the time, lmao, nice guy but sheesh).
I have win10 and xp on my dual boot lappy, hate 10.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Gampy wrote:My MDI clone works ... Yes, PCMHammer is from the app store, and this box is a virgin, it's never seen either before, PCMHammer or the MDI.

-Enjoy
That's weird, I wonder how it works. :) Where can I buy one?
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I didn't go the cheapest route ... I bought this one: obd2tool.com GM MDI
I bought it with hard drive, I have yet to plug the drive into anything, I just downloaded the drivers from Bosch.

Happy as a pig in mud on a warm summer day!

It doesn't do twisted shit like the Nano ...

-Enjoy

In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya Gampy,
The last time I checked with my nano, it wouldn't do GM sps. Does this mdi clone do GM SPS? That's a good price, I think I'll pick one up if the GM SPS works with it. I was curious about the hard drive option, is it worth doing if I don't need an extra HD, it doesn't appear to be a solid state drive or it would be a no-brainer for one of my dell D630's?
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Hey InTech, when did you last try sps? I haven't done it recently, but it did work multiple times in the past. I haven't used it it months though.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Says it does, shows it does on that page, haven't personally tried it though ...

It's just a WD Blue 500GB Sata, nothing special that's for sure.

-Enjoy

In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Cinci, it's probably been at least a year since I tried. I did like using the teck2win app a couple times. Guys, if the nano will do the sps, is there any reason I should get the mdi clone?
I like being a gadget junkie so I don't mind buying crapola :mrgreen: