V8 bin on 4.3l v6 PCM?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

V8 bin on 4.3l v6 PCM?

Post by Cincinnatus »

So now that I got my nano to read, I was wondering (since I have some v6 pcms) if they can be flashed to V8 OS? I've been reading a bunch and searching for xdf files, but didn't find many. I have a p01 with 2156 OS and p59 6807 OS and didn't find xdf for them. I used another xdf to open them, but assume data won't be accurate to change and flash. Not really trying to tune, just make standalone for swaps in Jeep's, restomods and such. I'm so impressed with what you guys have accomplished!
Last edited by Cincinnatus on Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gampy

Re: V8 bin on v6 PCM?

Post by Gampy »

Cincinnatus wrote:So now that I got my nano to read, I was wondering (since I have some v6 pcms) if they can be flashed to V8 OS?
With the P01 and P59 V6 or V8, they are a Calibration away from each other, the OS is the same.
So, Yes ...

But not the FWD V6 cars, they use a different PCM, the P04, it looks the same but has BLUE and CLEAR connectors.
Cincinnatus wrote:Also wondering if I clone a PCM doesn't hptuners know it's not the one that's been licensed?
We do not support copying commercial tuner binaries.
However, if you want to create a backup PCM for your vehicle, A Full Clone will do it ...

This is how I clone with PcmHammer ... And why.
Read current Pcm, Save original to a safe place and make a Working Original copy ...
Close PcmHammer
Disconnect battery ... (Prevents the OS from Writing Parameters)
Turn Ignition Off
Remove Pcm
Install new Pcm
Connect Battery
Connect Tool
Turn Ignition On
Write Full Flash (Clone) ... (Using the 'Working Original Copy' saved above)
Disconnect Battery ... (Prevents the OS from Writing Parameters)
Turn Ignition Off
Now both Pcms are Identical! (Including the Parameter Sectors)

It is time to fire up and enjoy the thrill of success!

Now, Not only do you have the original Pcm, you have a Safe Copy of the original software as it was the day you did the swap as well as a Working Original copy!
If you want to modify, make a copy of the 'Working Original Copy' and edit this new copy.
Then if you screw up, you have the 'Working Original Copy' to compare against and you never use the 'original' unless things have gone really really bad.
Cincinnatus wrote:I've been reading a bunch and searching for xdf files, but didn't find many. I have a p01 with 2156 OS and p59 6807 OS and didn't find xdf for them. I used another xdf to open them, but assume data won't be accurate to change and flash. Not really trying to tune, just make standalone for swaps in Jeep's, restomods and such. I'm so impressed with what you guys have accomplished!
DO NOT use an XDF that does not match the OS!

The availiable XDF files can be,
found here: GitHub - BoredTruckOwner/LS_Based_Engine_Repository: Collection of LS Based Engine Bins and the Required XDFs for TunerPro
and here: GitHub - Snoman002/Engine-Tune-Repository-TunerPro-EFIlive-TunerCat: Repository for Engine Tune information

That I know of OsID: 12606807 does not have a XDF
OsID 12212156 does ...

However, there is the program by Joukoy called UniversalPatcher that can do a lot of the .bin file modifications, including creating XDF's, tuning, segment swaps and much much more.
See here: Universal Patcher
It's extremely powerful and a bit overwhelming, but well worth the time!

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Most v6 pcm's are not red/blue or blue/green connectors and are clear/blue. The v6 clear/blue are not interchangeable with any other pcm's. Same goes for the others.

edit, just saw Gampy posted ahead of me :thumbup:
Last edited by In-Tech on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Thanks guys, I do not have any professionally tuned pcms. I have my personal car that I did swap work on to allow it to run that i was curious about. Writing parameters is what data exactly? I know of Vin, is there other data? Thanks for the links!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Cincinnatus wrote:Writing parameters is what data exactly? I know of Vin, is there other data?
I wish I knew everything, but this is all I know of ... Seed, Key, Hardware ID, Serial Number, Calibration ID, Broadcast code, VIN.

I would like to see/build a more complete list.

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Cincinnatus,

I just noticed I don't have a 12606807 binary, you willing to share it ??
Post it or PM it if you will.

Thanks
-Enjoy

Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

i did flash a v8 cal on a v6 pcm where they had matching OS 2156. i still have not found a functional xdf for the 2156 OS though after trying several.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

What v6 are you talking about ... the fwd v6 (3.8) or the rwd v6 (4.3).

They are not compatible with each other.
The fwd v6 (3.8) uses the P04.
The rwd v6 (4.3) uses the P01 or the P59.

What is wrong with the 12212156 xdf's at either of the links I provided ??

Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

was rwd 4.3l. i did finally get one xdf to work for 2156. some don't work though
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

The xdf thing is a bleeping mess, it's a hard thing to accomplish, folks give up.

If you noted the ones that you have issues with that would be great.

There is also UniversalPatcher.