Using map volts to log boost?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Boostedforlife

Using map volts to log boost?

Post by Boostedforlife »

Okay this is in pcm logger. Asking the experts on thoughts.

For the boosted os can we just edit the map volts to read boost like we do for egr wideband? Is this a bad idea?

I've tried using the ram parameters file but keep doing something wrong and crashes the logger. I've read through the thread that discusses this but still don't understand my problem. To simplify this why don't we just get a calculation for 2/3 bar sensors. And uses the volts pid to have an idea what we are hitting?

Just an idea criticism is welcome. If there is a reason not to do this I would like to learn why they are.
Gampy

Re: Using map volts to log boost?

Post by Gampy »

Boostedforlife wrote:Okay this is in pcm logger. Asking the experts on thoughts.

For the boosted os can we just edit the map volts to read boost like we do for egr wideband? Is this a bad idea?
Above my pay grade ...
Boostedforlife wrote:I've tried using the ram parameters file but keep doing something wrong and crashes the logger. I've read through the thread that discusses this but still don't understand my problem. To simplify this why don't we just get a calculation for 2/3 bar sensors. And uses the volts pid to have an idea what we are hitting?
However I may be able to help here ...

If you post your RAM parameter entry I'll take a look at it.

I would also like to see this crash, does it log an exception or anything ??
Please post the log if it does.

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I cant say for sure, but I would expect the map volts to be hard wired to the map volt supply pin in the pcm, so cant be changed. I stand to be corrected on that, but normally if your re-purposing an input you need something you can turn off in software and then repurpose the data pid.

You cant (yet) read a 3 bar pressure on the map pid because there is something unknown that is limiting that variable in the data stream. Some more OS hacking needs to happen to figure out where that limitiation is and to remove it. I expect this will be possible and will happen in time.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Boostedforlife

Post by Boostedforlife »

antus wrote:I cant say for sure, but I would expect the map volts to be hard wired to the map volt supply pin in the pcm, so cant be changed. I stand to be corrected on that, but normally if your re-purposing an input you need something you can turn off in software and then repurpose the data pid.

You cant (yet) read a 3 bar pressure on the map pid because there is something unknown that is limiting that variable in the data stream. Some more OS hacking needs to happen to figure out where that limitiation is and to remove it. I expect this will be possible and will happen in time.
I'm not talking change the purpose of the map volt. I'm just talking log the input from the map volt pid with a conversion to read the kpa of the sensor.like and start up (96kpa) where I live it's 1.41 volts and at idle (36-37kpa) it's 0.40 ish if I remember correctly don't have the logs here. So create an expression to turn that to kpa, should be easy enough to compare it to the map kpa output to dial it in because ever sensor is a little different.vat least tell we find the variable capping the map kpa pid.
Gampy wrote:
Boostedforlife wrote:Okay this is in pcm logger. Asking the experts on thoughts.

Above my pay grade ...

[quot

If you post your RAM parameter entry I'll take a look at it.

I would also like to see this crash, does it log an exception or anything ??
Please post the log if it does.

-Enjoy
Will do tonight when I get the laptop home. I think is my xml file really my first time doing any of this just learning as I go.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Boostedforlife wrote:Will do tonight when I get the laptop home. I think is my xml file really my first time doing any of this just learning as I go.
None of us were born knowing all, we all had to start someplace! :thumbup:

Though some may argue whether we actually get smarter or not ... :hmm:

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I was but I have forgotten most of it.
Boostedforlife

Post by Boostedforlife »

This is how i set it up just was messing around trying to get an idea of what would happen when i just changed the original ram file from nsfw had in there to the 61250002 o.s. would look likd with those ram addresses not expecting it to have a handling expreaaion problem.

so i remaned the 3358.RAM file to 6125.RAM dont know if that matter. should it be 0002.

then Parameters.12593358 changed the name to 61250002

last took the Paremeters.Ram and changed the o.s. number on all to look like this

<RamParameter
id="RamOnTime"
name="On Time"
description=""
storageType="uint16"
bitMapped="False">
<Location os="61250002" address="0xFFB04C" />
<Conversion units="Seconds" expression="x/160.0" format="0.00" />
</RamParameter>

hope i dont look like an idiot here but thats what i did and the whole logger didnt work had to delete and extract all new file.
Attachments
Parameters.RAM.xml
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Parameters.61250002.txt
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
6125.RamParameters.txt
(684 Bytes) Downloaded 110 times
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Best thing to do here is start over ...
Restore everything back to as delivered.

I recommend getting an XML aware editor like Notepad++.
There are several xml errors that would be identified with a xml aware editor.

Then, we'll chew this one bite at a time ...

Give me one Ram Parameter that you would like to log that you have the RAM Address for in your OsID 61250002 ...
I personally don't have any RAM addresses for any Os's except what is currently in Parameters.RAM.xml and those addresses are for OsID 12593358 and will not work.

-Enjoy

Boostedforlife

Post by Boostedforlife »

Okay I got a easy conversation that's by far from complete but will give me an idea in low-mid range boost. I got to 105 kpa and compared volts to kpa. So I figured (x/51)*65.8 gets me close at 105 kpa. If you go low if gets of and higher. I'm assuming because the sensor is not true linear or does not use the full 5 volt range.

If it the second should be easy to figure out. Just mightyvac it to the lowest volt outputed and to the highest and divided by that volt range more accurate.

If it's a linear problem I don't think I can fix that. It's the cheap efi source plug and play 3bar. But they don't give a datasheet to look at. But it's cheap so can't expect much. They say it's a 0-305 koa sensor with a 1.11 offset also seen 315 with 3.xx but to get my baro pressure right I have 310.xx and a 9.Xx offset.
The lowest I've seen on the motor is .25 volts and the highest is 2.02v. with my inaccurate figure it's 132 kpa which just give me an idea but it's a start right. I see the problem now with using volts it's just so many variables in sensors but it will give you an idea of where you are. Not prefect but better then nothing.

I'm going to test the sensor and figure out max and min volts and try that. And will update the out come. I'm sure a more expensive sensor with good datasheet would be far easier to work with. But the challenge is what we live for.
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

Post by bubba2533 »

These should be the proper addresses and correct formula for all 3 OS's and respective Boost OS.

Code: Select all

<RamParameter
    id="RamManifoldAbsolutePressure"
    name="ManifoldAbsolutePressure"
    description="2-Byte Manifold Pressure"
    storageType="uint16"
    bitMapped="False">
    <Location os="12587603" address="0xFFB292" />
    <Location os="76030002" address="0xFFB292" />
    <Location os="12216125" address="0xFFAFF4" />
    <Location os="61250002" address="0xFFAFF4" />
    <Location os="12212156" address="0xFFADAE" />
    <Location os="21560002" address="0xFFADAE" />
    <Conversion units="kPa" expression="x/51.2" format="0.00" />
  </RamParameter>
I'm going to try my hand at pushing these to the github repo so that they should be available in the next release.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.