E38 problems

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Vampyre
cars: grand am, trans am

E38 problems

Post by Vampyre »

My buddy accidentally pulled the cord on his hpt while writing an e38, luckily it was doing tcm, afterwards the vin was all weird so I used tc to recover it and all was good until I changed the vin. I'm thinking it over wrote something important because now we can't get it to unlock anymore says seed/key can't be found. Does anyone know how to do just the vin write on it so i can try and put the wierd vin info back in hex format and see if thats what fudged it up?
kur4o

Re: E38 problems

Post by kur4o »

Seems like eeprom is gone bad, clearing seed/key values to something unknown. Maybe both are FFFFs.

Can you supply custom key and try writing.
Vampyre

Post by Vampyre »

Truck drives fine everything works fine just can't access it to tune anymore. Ive been looking for the commands to just use avt terminal to do it.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Curious what you get back if you send 27 01
that's the seed request...
it should send back 67 01 xx xx where xx xx is the seed..
If it sends 67 02 then it's already unlocked and likely in recovery mode..

If you wrote entire with hpt and it was a different year than that is likely your problem. Not sure exactly what happens but it seems like the eeprom layout is different due to a different boot segment?? It's probably save able with some work..

Bad case is the seed and key got hosed along with the vin and the E38 algo no longer works to unlock it.. You could try the seed as the key, or use a brute force unlock(up to 7 days). Now once your in you still have to fix it, hopefully the original flash with write entire with vin write can fix it.

What hardware do you have available besides hp?

what error was hp giving you trying to read?

you fixed it with tc?? what is tc? techline Connect? If so then you have an mdi, right?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

TC is Tuner Cat, which uses the AVT 852 cable.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Had a customer that wrote an incompatible OS to the vehicle.

Car ran fine, but there was no access to ecu anymore.

I just did an SPS rewrite over it and then all was good.
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Hsv08, elaborate on no access to ECU. You rewrote it so communication had to work somewhat.
roughneck427
cars: 2002 Camaro
2008 Pontiac G8

Post by roughneck427 »

use TC and hit get vehicle info. Post up what the seed is. Sometimes when it gets corrupted the key will be the same as the seed.
Vampyre

Post by Vampyre »

Ecm: OBE2
Tcm 4D28

He was just doing a cal write with hpt and got disconnected on the tcm write process, I used tunercat to fix the tcm but the ecm still had jacked vin and trace code but was read/writeable. I used tunercat to change the vin back to trucks original vin and now it won't unlock anymore. I'm using Duke's brute force right now to find new key and then I'll use tunercat or something else to do a full recovery on it.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Vampyre wrote:Ecm: OBE2
Tcm 4D28

He was just doing a cal write with hpt and got disconnected on the tcm write process, I used tunercat to fix the tcm but the ecm still had jacked vin and trace code but was read/writeable. I used tunercat to change the vin back to trucks original vin and now it won't unlock anymore. I'm using Duke's brute force right now to find new key and then I'll use tunercat or something else to do a full recovery on it.
So if I'm reading this right he got a disconnect during a cal write of the TCM? and the ecm got semi bricked? That doesn't make any sense, does it?

It writes to the ecm, actually uses the gm sps write kernel, writes only the calibration files.. It finishes with the ecm, sends a 120 to reset it, waits, then unlocks the TCM and does the same thing.. ECM shouldn't have been efffected by the disconnect, it would have to have been screwed up during the calibration write somehow? I'm guessing it was actually a full write with OS and calibration, probably even suspect the OS was changed, that's the only thing that makes sense in my head, lol

good luck!!! What is it showing for a seed, there's a topic on that and some of the seeds you can try out of the gate..