E38 problems

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
In-Tech

Re: E38 problems

Post by In-Tech »

All of it can be fixed but it IS a chore. I am not sure Tazzi's software is available but it handles all of the e38 problems except the slaves. I think we all use multiple software's to fix a lot of ecm's when needed :(
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Vampyre, what did u use to write the 11 os to it?
ShorTuning
cars: 2002 Camaro
2002 Formula

Post by ShorTuning »

I see this stuff all the time when new tuners try to do write entires on these E38/E67/E40's with a different OS. SPS usually is the only way to correct it.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Usually :think: I can write any year to any year :thumbup:
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Well, with the bdm tool that I bought and a VERY big lighted magnifying glass I can bring any e38 back to life that is software bricked.. Only had to do that once though, and that was my own accord, don't remember what I was doing but wrong OS started it, after that I have no idea what happened.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Killed a few myself, I haven't had to bdm one yet but I have the stuff if I need to. I am gonna make a jig soon for that :)
Vampyre
cars: grand am, trans am

Post by Vampyre »

Tunercat, unfortunately I used older version so it didnt write slave. Still bruting it to find new key so I can do a new recovery with slave also.
BillNobody
cars: 2001 Camaro 3.8L 1990 Chevy 1500 5.7L

Post by BillNobody »

I've just been reading this thread and noticed some with questions regarding the use of Techline Connect. I can agree that it can be a PITA to use/deal with bugs. I have been forced to use it for several weeks now as it rolled into use in my region of the U.S.. Initially, it was nothing but garbage, but over the past few weeks, it's still garbage but in the end it did get the job done. Most recently, last Wednesday, I had a 2016 6L80 TCM flash job. On the 8th attempt I was finally blessed with a completed and verified flash procedure. I will add the flash was only finally successful when using an MDI clone but it still took a couple of attempts, not sure if it was a device or Techline Connect issue as the error code did not have any descriptors. Using 2 other BIG name brand J2534 devices, I experienced failures to connect to the tools during pre-flash setup, as well as loss of connection with the tools mid-flash along with a full blown Techline Connect Java runtime error and the program closed. The T43 TCM is quite robust as mentioned and showed no signs of giving a damn that the process was aborted mid sentence, so-to-speak. As for hardware, I would recommend using a MDI/MDI 2(or a good clone) or a VCX GM Nano in an attempt to avoid tool connection issues.

FYI, Tech2Win and GDS2 are now somewhat Techline Connect dependent. Tech2Win can be opened independently, and if you have a cracked version you may get away without having to let it know Techline Connect exists. Tech2Win renewal licenses are only updated through Techline Connect via a SWDL or Security process meaning you will have to download and install Techline Connect to renew any subscriptions. GDS2 however, can only be opened from within Techline Connect unless you have an older cracked version of GDS2. Any GM updates to the cracked versions of GDS2 will likely result in them no longer being usable without Techline Connect.

Earlier in the thread I saw mention of Global A. Real quick, Global A does not apply to full-size trucks before 2016. Global A DOES apply to passenger cars beginning in 2010. It is largely in cars that module swapping can be near impossible. But we can swap most modules, within reason, on 07-up trucks with e38's as long as we adhere to certain year model restrictions.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Bill, when you say module swapping, do you mean without programming in the trucks? Or do you mean you can't even program a module to swap into global A?
BillNobody
cars: 2001 Camaro 3.8L 1990 Chevy 1500 5.7L

Post by BillNobody »

Cincinnatus,

There can be pairing/programming of modules to some degree depending on the module in trucks up to 2015. In this article from 2019 https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11221 GM Techlink lists Global A vehicles and some of the modules affected by the architecture along with some of the possible issues that may arise from module swapping.

But wait, there's more! Global B architecture is available in select models starting with 2020 and adds, in conjunction with other "benefits", OTA - Over The Air software updates to various vehicle systems. While this may sound like a neat idea, it only furthers the loss of owner/user control and possibly affects some areas of R2R, or the Right to Repair. I could go on about how this technology is a bad idea however I don't want that in print. Anyhow, Hope this scares the hell out of you and keeps you awake at night.

Bill