99-02 vs 03+ GM can communication

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
TE27Levin
cars: 04 escalade

99-02 vs 03+ GM can communication

Post by TE27Levin »

Hello all, I have an opportunity to acquire a 2002 GMC Denali quadrasteer rear axle and all of its sensors and its own computer module + wiring.

I have an idea that there was a major rewiring and reworking of GM module communication in the 03 model years +. But since it is a real niche set up and its in a fancy denali, and I have an 04 Escalade I was wondering if the computer used is at all compatible with the Cadillac?

Thank you for any input.
NSFW

Re: 99-02 vs 03+ GM can communication

Post by NSFW »

Corvettes used VPW until 2004. I'm not sure if CAN started with the 2005s, or if that was a couple years later. I have no about about the Escalade or Denali though.

You might need the BCM from a quadrasteer Denali to send the quadrasteer computer the message that it needs. And I'm only guessing about the BCM, it's possible that other modules were also involved.

If you can find some wiring diagrams from the Denali and Escalade, they might have clues about which bus was used. CAN wires will probably be labeled CAN, or CANH / CANL, and VPW wires might labeled J1850 and/or VPW, or "Class 2." Hopefully they're not all just labeled "bus." :)
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

E40 ECM in 2005 was beginning of CAN that I'm aware of. It still has serial as well as CAN. Don't think anything used can before 2005.
TE27Levin

Post by TE27Levin »

Thanks for the response fellas. The seller talked me out of it. He had contact with a guy who did conversions on a few vehicles. He claimed it would be a nightmare to figure it out and I would be better off rewiring my truck as a 2002. lol No way..

Edit

This was the number on the module anyway.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211019-122106_01.png
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

I didn't want to voice my opinion as it would have been an attempt to deter you as well, kinda glad you decided against it.. When we serviced those even new they were a nightmare and parts availability was in issue in less than 2 years, you want it, you can't have it.. water entry into wiring and sensors and module was the main problem as I recall.. I couldn't imagine installing this in any vehicle I owned on purpose, lol.. sure wouldn't purchase one with it for the same reasons.
TE27Levin

Post by TE27Levin »

ironduke wrote:I didn't want to voice my opinion as it would have been an attempt to deter you as well, kinda glad you decided against it.. When we serviced those even new they were a nightmare and parts availability was in issue in less than 2 years, you want it, you can't have it.. water entry into wiring and sensors and module was the main problem as I recall.. I couldn't imagine installing this in any vehicle I owned on purpose, lol.. sure wouldn't purchase one with it for the same reasons.

Eh i am still waiting for a solution to fall out of the sky, I just bought wheels that are six lug and I am doing three quarter ton stuff with a half ton. The six lug and dana 60 ish rear diff seems like a possible solution as well as being able to turn like a honda civic. There is guys making aftermarket steering sensors for the axles now.. unless you can get six lug axles for a H2 rear axle but I would have to figure out brakes and such... As far as communication would this thing https://controls.is/shop/ecu/MPC1 help?