"flat response" knock sensors

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Re: "flat response" knock sensors

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all;

NSFW wrote: And I've copied a bunch of knock sensor tables from the 2165 V6 ROM ...
I have NO idea, so I am asking, are the V6 tables usable on a V8?

Mike
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Does your tuner have opinion about this?
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I should probably ask him. :) My thinking is that if he wants to, I'm making his job a little easier. And if he's reluctant, I'm making the case that it's at least worth a try.

Last time I was at the shop he had a carb/distributor car on the dyno, so electronic knock protection doesn't seem to be a prerequisite anyhow.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

MudDuck514 wrote:Hi all;
NSFW wrote: And I've copied a bunch of knock sensor tables from the 2165 V6 ROM ...
I have NO idea, so I am asking, are the V6 tables usable on a V8?

Mike
Yes and no. On the one hand, it's the same OS used in v8s, with all of the same tables. On the other hand, the V6 calibration has two empty columns in some of the per-cylinder tables, so those clearly shouldn't be copied across, and the V6 and V8 differ in more ways than just the cylinder count.

So I went through the knock-related tables one by one. For the tables that are tightly related to the knock sensors themselves (e.g. the ones with units of millivolts) I'm pretty sure it makes sense to just copy the values over. But the center frequency is probably correlated to bore size so I'm still using the Corvette values there. And so on.

What I end up with is surely not perfect, but I think it's a reasonable place to start.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all;

Thanks.
As I said, I was curious as I DO NOT KNOW the answer.
I was under the impression that they were using different values, but since I have never really looked I wasn't sure.
So, good to know.

Mike
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

I'm very curious about this as I have an lh6 5.3l that used an e40 and flat response sensors (dod/afm valley). I want to use a p59 to run it and read the sensors won't work right with the p59/p01 as only v6 (and 4x v8?) engines used them and the ls OS isn't compatible( even though it's the same number, the data obviously used differently). I'm going to do it anyway, and tune it by ear, but I assumed the frequencies are more related to location on the block than bore, though that is an assumption. I would want a tuner that is very familiar with all this with your investment NSFW. I only have hundreds, not thousands, in mine so if I break it it's not a big deal. Mine is a few months away so you'll be first to find out how well sensors respond. Intech said he's tried this and didn't see knock so keep us informed and if I get mine running I'll report as well.
Last edited by Cincinnatus on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlvaldez
cars: '01 - Corvette Z06
'20 - Sierra Denali
'03 - Volvo S80 T6
'16 - Accord V6

Post by jlvaldez »

Very awesome to see you during into this. I saw you post in the Corvette FB group.

I hope your engine runs before mine so you can figure it out lol.

I wish there were a memory location we could read to see the line Knock sensor value so we could at least see if it recognizes anything.

The tables you're referring to I don't think exist in hpt.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

The tables in the XDFs for 7603 and 2156, and I'm guessing they got there via EFI Live.
Unless of course someone has been working from the same leaked docs that EFI Live used. :)

That's a really good point about data logging... Most of the interesting values in the PCM are stored at fixed locations in RAM, for data logging. Knock is a different beast though since the knock events are so short-lived. In the Subaru ECU, there's a "knock sum" parameter that increments every time the ECU sees knock, so you can see the knock events in the log even if they happened in between data rows.

Does anyone know if something similar exists in our PCMs? I mean, if HPT can log it, PCM Logger can log it too. It will take some work to find it for each OS, but I'll do that work for 7603.
jlvaldez
cars: '01 - Corvette Z06
'20 - Sierra Denali
'03 - Volvo S80 T6
'16 - Accord V6

Post by jlvaldez »

HPT has nothing to log a live knock level thing. You just get to record KR.

Its one of the things I miss about my old Honda I tuned... It had a live "knock level" PID that was read at 60 hz and was a 0-100% value. You could see knocks as large spikes. You would also see the relative "volume" get "louder" with load (As you'd expect).

I've found no such functionality in the tech 2 nor HPT. Haven't played with EFI Live, so I don't honestly know.
aaronc7
cars: 2003 C5Z
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

jlvaldez wrote:HPT has nothing to log a live knock level thing. You just get to record KR.

Its one of the things I miss about my old Honda I tuned... It had a live "knock level" PID that was read at 60 hz and was a 0-100% value. You could see knocks as large spikes. You would also see the relative "volume" get "louder" with load (As you'd expect).

I've found no such functionality in the tech 2 nor HPT. Haven't played with EFI Live, so I don't honestly know.
Never saw anything like that (other than standard knock retard) on EFI.