PCM Hammer P12 development

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
darkman5001
cars: 2004 Suburban, 2001 Tahoe, 2002 Envoy, 2006 Envoy, 2003 Lincoln LS

PCM Hammer P12 development

Post by darkman5001 »

Maybe this has been asked before and I missed it, but I am trying to read the flash from a P12 PCM. Everything works exactly as if reading an LS PCM up to the point where it uploads the kernel and then it is denied. Is there anything that fix that? I also have much interest in reading flash from a P10 PCM as well. I have included a screenshot of the error with the P12. Thank you in advance and awesome work.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (84.93 KiB) Viewed 9329 times
Gampy

Re: PCM Hammer fails on P12

Post by Gampy »

Sorry, the PCMHammer suite works only with the P01 and P59 at this point in time ...

No one has stepped up to the plate to add other VPW speaking units ...

The source code is here: LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks If you (or someone you know) has the skills to add them.

I suspect if I had them laying about I'd at least see what it would take ... I don't.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
darkman5001

Post by darkman5001 »

What are VPW Speaking Units? Pardon my ignorance but I am trying to learn.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

No apologies necessary ... None of us knows everything, we are all ignorant in some way or another!

VPW is J1850VPW, it is a communications protocol.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Units that speak VPW. :)
More verbose: PCMs that use the same version of OBD2 that the P01 and P59 PCMs use.

Even if the kernel could be uploaded successfully, I'd be surprised if it worked on anything but a P01 or P59. To support other PCMs, we need to know:
* which address to upload the kernel to
* the addresses of the registers that the CPU uses to communicate to the VPW chip
* the ID of the flash chip, so that we can find out how to write to it

And if the VPW chip isn't the same in the other PCMs, someone will have to figure that out as well.
The P04 has some quirks in the way the kernel gets uploaded that will require making the kernel much smaller, possibly using two kernels.

None of this is impossible but it takes time and effort to figure it out. And some times it takes a lot of trial-and-error.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
darkman5001

Post by darkman5001 »

Okay, I can tell you this; I have plenty of PCMs, a Tech2, reworking station and also a chip programmer that can read and write. Is there something that I can do? Is there a way to sniff out the successful communication between the PCMs and a tech 2? I don't know how to program but I know electronics and computers. Tell me what I can do. One thing I know for a fact is that PCM hammer can successfully read and write to all 3 versions of the P01, and to my knowledge there are only three. I have plenty of P10 and some P12s also.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I don't have a Tech2 ...

There are many ways to sniff ... I believe the least expensive technique is to use an OBDII splitter and a recording device.

The recording device can be as simple as an ELM device that supports the MA (ATMA) monitoring command.
Hook, the ELM to one side of the Y-cable, the Tech2 to the other.

Use a Terminal program to connect, setup and record the traffic with the ELM ...

However if the Tech2 works in high speed mode, an ELM is not going to get the job done!

I was unaware there were 3 versions of the P01, I'm only aware of 2, the LS1A and LS1B, what is the other ??

What vehicles (Year, Make, Model and Engine) does the P10 and P12 come from ??, maybe I'll order up some and have a look see what it would take ...

darkman5001

Post by darkman5001 »

Gampy wrote:I don't have a Tech2 ...

There are many ways to sniff ... I believe the least expensive technique is to use an OBDII splitter and a recording device.

The recording device can be as simple as an ELM device that supports the MA (ATMA) monitoring command.
Hook, the ELM to one side of the Y-cable, the Tech2 to the other.

Use a Terminal program to connect, setup and record the traffic with the ELM ...

However if the Tech2 works in high speed mode, an ELM is not going to get the job done!

I was unaware there were 3 versions of the P01, I'm only aware of 2, the LS1A and LS1B, what is the other ??

What vehicles (Year, Make, Model and Engine) does the P10 and P12 come from ??, maybe I'll order up some and have a look see what it would take ...

I am still trying to learn all these PCM models so the problem is probably me. I have 3 PCMs here that ran the 4.8L, 5.3L and the 6.0L from 1999 through 2007. The first one I know is the 411, service number 12200411. The second is service number 12576106, and the last is service number 12602802. All three of these were totally successful with PCM Hammer. As far as the P10s I have (service number 12574976) came in 2002-2005 GMC Envoys and Chevy Trailblazers with 4.2L, and the P12s (Service number 12597521) came in 2005-2006 GMC Envoy and Chevy Trailblazers with 4.2L. I am sure there were other models they were used on also. Correct me if I am wrong on any of the PCM names I used. Also have a few Ford PCMs from 1997 F-150s with 4.6L and 5.4L and 2005 F-150 with 5.4L 3V that I don't know proper models and am trying to find a way to break into them.

I'll have to see what I can come up with for sniffing out my Tech2s communication with these. Also didn't mention earlier that I also have a digital microscope so if I can pull any numbers off the circuit boards or chips I will.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

No problem, a little clarity for ya!

12200411 (Hardware: 9386530) = P01 a 512k Intel chipped unit (also referred to as LS1B)
12576106 (Hardware: 12570558) = P59 a 1m Intel chipped unit
12602802 (Hardware: 12589162) = P59 a 1m AMD chipped unit
Thanks for the vehicle info.

NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Also, if you have an XPro, you can use JLValdez's super cool tool to monitor the VPW bus:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7718

I have an Arduino tied into my bench harness, which is not as user-friendly, but it works.

If you can open a P10 and P12 and get the part numbers from the chips that would be great. The two biggest ones are probably the CPU and flash chip, and those are the important ones. Hopefully the CPU is a Motorola 68000 derivative.

It would also be interesting to flash the PCM using the Tech2 and record that whole session. If the protocol is similar to the P01 and P59 it should be easy to figure out which messages are doing what. Then extract the GM kernel code from them, and reverse engineer the code. If the code it uses to the talk to the VPW bus is similar to what PCM Hammer uses, we can adapt our kernel to run on those PCMs.

Please start a separate thread for all of this stuff though. It's going to be a long term project, and I'd like to keep this thread focused on the latest version of PCM Hammer.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!