E38 Vin Change

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
bojimmy35
cars: Don't have a shed

Re: E38 Vin Change

Post by bojimmy35 »

ironduke wrote:
bojimmy35 wrote:
The as_found2014_tahoe bin is kind of interesting, there's 2 vins in that.. Is this read before or after you changed the vin? Thought it was before you touched it.

Admittedly that is pulled from after using your tool to successfully change the vin, forgot to pull it before, then when I pulled it, it was still showing the original vin so assumed not much had changed. Makes sense about the tool I am using to try and flash in calibrations.
Rando
cars: couple old camaros

Post by Rando »

okay guys pardon my ignorance here, but im new to this and trying to figure out how to make it all work to change vins in my pcm which is 2010 3238 e38. Im Trying to reflash via SPS but am learning that i cant due to it not changing the vin? How do i use this tool in conjunction to get the job done? or is that possible with this tool at all?
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Rando wrote:okay guys pardon my ignorance here, but im new to this and trying to figure out how to make it all work to change vins in my pcm which is 2010 3238 e38. Im Trying to reflash via SPS but am learning that i cant due to it not changing the vin? How do i use this tool in conjunction to get the job done? or is that possible with this tool at all?
It's possible with the tool for most E38 ecm's.. I do know some of them refuse to change the vin for me with this tool until I perform a sps programming event.. Watching an sps event and you can see that's how they do it.. write Os, write calibrations, and then change the vin using the same procedure my software does..

One thing to try but I am not sure how to do it for people who pay by the vin.. When you start techline connect do not connect to the vehicle, click past that screen and start sps2.. type in the vin you want.. then year,make, and module if needed, then when you click next it will connect to the ecm and you'll get a popup stating vin mismatch.. There may be an override button you can click on that will attempt to program the E38 ecm and then after programming it will try to write the vin using the same method and steps as the little program I wrote..

If you want to try my software feel free to give it a try, pretty self explanatory on how it works, if you have a j2534 device to use with sps then it should work with my software as well.. Please give some feedback on it though if you do..

One thing to mention is that not all E38's are the same.. Depending on the year and the operating system you cannot hop back and forth, attached is a pdf explaining that for the e38 and a few other ecu's..
Last edited by ironduke on Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Reading between the lines you'd need to change the vin in eeprom using tool in this thread, but then also have a tool to read calibration in binary & find the vin in there & change that location too maybe?

But remember after changing the vin you need to have ecu battery powered still & just loose the ign power for a minimum 10 seconds.
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Reading between the lines you'd need to change the vin in eeprom using tool in this thread, but then also have a tool to read calibration in binary & find the vin in there & change that location too maybe?

But remember after changing the vin you need to have ecu battery powered still & just loose the ign power for a minimum 10 seconds.
The tool in this thread uses a j2534 device and reads out the vin.. You can then type in a vin and it will try to change it.. There is no need to edit the eeprom after. Universal patcher isn't reading from the correct location after it's been changed..
And yes.. Turn the ign power off for 30 seconds after vin change was successful !!!!!! This is not the same as removing battery power.. the ecm needs battery power to actually write the changed vin to eeprom
bojimmy35

Post by bojimmy35 »

ironduke wrote:
VX L67 Getrag wrote:Reading between the lines you'd need to change the vin in eeprom using tool in this thread, but then also have a tool to read calibration in binary & find the vin in there & change that location too maybe?

The tool in this thread uses a j2534 device and reads out the vin.. You can then type in a vin and it will try to change it.. There is no need to edit the eeprom after. Universal patcher isn't reading from the correct location after it's been changed..
And yes.. Turn the ign power off for 30 seconds after vin change was successful !!!!!! This is not the same as removing battery power.. the ecm needs battery power to actually write the changed vin to eeprom
I can confirm this tool will work on 2010+ e38 ecm's. For whatever reason however powering the ecm on the can network alone wouldn't allow me to change the vin. Seems similar to some of how the 2010+ sps programming works. For a 2010+ e38 you will need your bench harness that is slightly different. I can post mine if desired.

ironduke, I also now have a t43 to test with but have no idea what tools(software) to use with it. I know of the vehicle it came from but when connecting to it with a tech2 I have to keep an ecm on the bus. When I try and pull the module ID info down it will give me whatever the ecm's vin is and not the actual tcm. Not sure what service number it is as it is still buried in the pan, but it currently has OS 24265260 in it with plans to be going to OS 24261871. I can also pickup another 2010+ e38 if desired for testing and do better about before and after vin change bin's if you want. I have plenty of 07's kicking around as well for any type of testing.
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

bojimmy35 wrote:
ironduke wrote:

I can confirm this tool will work on 2010+ e38 ecm's. For whatever reason however powering the ecm on the can network alone wouldn't allow me to change the vin. Seems similar to some of how the 2010+ sps programming works. For a 2010+ e38 you will need your bench harness that is slightly different. I can post mine if desired.

ironduke, I also now have a t43 to test with but have no idea what tools(software) to use with it. I know of the vehicle it came from but when connecting to it with a tech2 I have to keep an ecm on the bus. When I try and pull the module ID info down it will give me whatever the ecm's vin is and not the actual tcm. Not sure what service number it is as it is still buried in the pan, but it currently has OS 24265260 in it with plans to be going to OS 24261871. I can also pickup another 2010+ e38 if desired for testing and do better about before and after vin change bin's if you want. I have plenty of 07's kicking around as well for any type of testing.
Are you in the transmission section of the tech2??? Instead of engine you need to select transmission.. I have read,wrote,scanned,etc my bench T43 many times, lol.. Well it's under the bench, the whole transmission is..
bojimmy35

Post by bojimmy35 »

ironduke wrote: Are you in the transmission section of the tech2??? Instead of engine you need to select transmission.. I have read,wrote,scanned,etc my bench T43 many times, lol.. Well it's under the bench, the whole transmission is..
I am oddly enough, I will get some screenshots of it tomorrow evening when I can get it pulled back out. I have yet to try connecting with any other software yet.

Edit:

As promised photos from my tech2win, all kinds of different e38's plugged in but all the same t43 ( suppose it would be the same for the t42 I have ) but vin always matches ecm for some reason.

https://imgur.com/a/USeWpLv
julespatch
cars: liberty gen 5

Post by julespatch »

There is no vin in the TCM on these units, only software that is loaded that is assigned to the vin.
You can get lucky just swapping them out, or just write the software in with whatever tool you have(HP, EFI, flex etc)if you have the files. Even works on brand new units!
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

julespatch wrote:There is no vin in the TCM on these units, only software that is loaded that is assigned to the vin.
You can get lucky just swapping them out, or just write the software in with whatever tool you have(HP, EFI, flex etc)if you have the files. Even works on brand new units!
There is a vin in these, I just don't think GM really looks for it, don't remember but I thought using sps on a bench T43 that it pulled the vin but I could be wrong..
You can send a T43 a 1a 90 vin request just like every other ecu out there.. Stock will have the vin of the vehicle.