03+ cluster crashing PCM reflash

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
RADustin

03+ cluster crashing PCM reflash

Post by RADustin »

In GMT-800, I have a P01 truck (2001) that is now P59 swapped with a 03 cluster. Everything is working except during a reflash of the PCM I have to unplug the gauges for it to work. The gauges will reflash with IPChammer fine. I tried using either 1 of 2 possible ignition feeds for the IPC, as the 2001 has two and the IPC only needs 1- didn't make a difference.

Can anyone think of what may be going on? I guess my next plan of action is to log the bus with the logger program during a reflash event. Using EFILive for the tuning tool, it just errors saying no communication. Same error I get when people have aftermarket radios.

Thanks
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: 03+ cluster crashing PCM reflash

Post by antus »

Some devices through hardware fault or bad design wont silence when requested by the flash tool. Its likely your cluster is one such device. If thats the case you cant do anything about it, other than flash on the bench or disconnect the offending cluster.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

I tried a different cluster, another 2003 stock cluster. Same results.

The P59 trucks have a more integrated BCM, and my thought is this BCM is telling the IPC to hush while re-flashing. But I need to confirm that, and see if there is a work around like with the volt gauge.
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

to follow up- its a shifty experience. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It has a higher chance to work if I reflash the pcm soon after turning the ignition on. If the ignition is on for a few minutes, it'll generally fail. But cycling key, or unplugged IPC will allow the reflash.

Due to it sort of working and finding strange workarounds, I haven't datalogged it or worked this any further.
Phoenix
cars: 1983 Chevy C10
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
2004 Pontiac GTO
2005 Pontiac GTO

Post by Phoenix »

I know that sometimes people have more success when they remove the Onstar and radio fuses.
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

It's definitely the IPC. I tried all sorts of different combinations of pulling fuses. Only works reliably when IPC is dead or completely unplugged. Also truck doesn't have onstar.

There was never a problem before I swapped the IPC...very strange.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Maybe its looking for a module thats not installed in your vehicle but was in the donor vehicle, and without it having initialised everything it thinks should be there it might not be able to go silent, or something like that. Something that doesnt trigger a CEL so you dont know its doing it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396