PCMLogger (PCMHammer v20) output?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
draz53
cars: 2000 Camaro SS

PCMLogger (PCMHammer v20) output?

Post by draz53 »

I realize this is a work in progress, just wondering what I should expect (if anything) as output from PCMLogger after a logging session. I've tried it, seemed to be working and logging, and then did a Save (and also SaveAs) after logging, and no output file was produced, just a copy of the profile (parameters?). I had turned the ignition off before I did the save though, did that cause it to throw away the data? This is using OBDX Pro.
Gampy

Re: PCMLogger (PCMHammer v20) output?

Post by Gampy »

On the configuration tab there is a button to set the log directory, that is where you will find the logs, it defaults to the user's Document directory.

It does not create a log unless you select the Start Logging button ...

The buttons on the Profile tab are for LogProfiles ... To Create, Open and Save LogProfiles.
LogProfiles are created from the selected Parameters ... They define what you want to log.

IMO there is a bit of brokenness in how to get it logging!
The only way I seem to be able to get it to work is by,
1. Open PcmLogger
2. Select Device
3. Select Some Parameters (they make up the LogProfile)
4. Save the LogProfile
5. Close PcmLogger
6. Open PcmLogger
NOTE: If you look at the parameters tab the logger should be running and the Start Logging button is now enabled,
7. Start Logging
Log until your heart is content
8. Stop Logging
9. Exit PcmLogger (if you choose to exit)

The log will be in the selected directory named as 'date_time_LogProfileName.csv'

It appears to require a LogProfile on startup or it chokes ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
draz53

Post by draz53 »

Thanks. I did have a profile I'd saved previously, and did click the Start Recording button which was enabled, but there's no date_time_LogProfileName.csv file (searched for all *.csv files) from logging. After switching off ignition I did a Stop Recording and then SaveAs 'log1', which saved a file 'log1.LogProfile', which is just a copy of 'camaro.LogProfile' that I'd saved previously. Does clicking Stop reset the data, I should just exit the program?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Once you have a Device Selected and a simple LogProfile created ... Close/Exit PcmLogger.

Now, start PcmLogger again.
Select the Parameters tab ... The logger should be running, you should see the parameters you added to the LogProfile, it should be showing values and a Query time.
If not, something is wrong with the LogProfile ... Trim it down to a minimal, exit PcmLogger, then re-open PcmLogger again until you do see the logger running on the Parameters tab.

If the logger is running, you should be able to select Start Recording, after your logging session, Select Stop Recording, it should save the logger recording in your 'Documents' directory.

If you select a different logprofile, the Start Recording button will become disabled, you can re-enable it by re-selecting the device (Select Device, select Ok).
Another little quirk.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Apparently I really need to do some testing. This kind of thing should just work. The fact that it doesn't suggests that I've screwed something up somewhere.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
draz53

Post by draz53 »

Did a small test, this time just with ignition on but engine not even running, and the data file was saved! While it was logging I looked in Parameters and could see the values displayed.

UPDATE: I believe I found the problem. My laptop power settings have it automatically sleeping after 15 minutes. <-- WRONG

By the way I also verified that it works whether the ignition is switched off, which I had first suspected was the culprit.

UPDATE2: I was wrong about the power settings being the cause, in fact the laptop was not in sleep mode at the time. So it's a mystery, hopefully will not recur.
draz53

Post by draz53 »

Did another longer (20 minute) test run, logger and saving data worked perfectly.

On the same topic of output: importing the data directly into a spreadsheet seems a little unwieldy, so I'm planning on writing a program to take the pcmlogger output as input and consolidate it (for example compute averages) and output that to a file, that could then be imported into a spreadsheet, or whatever. Or is something like that already done, or in the works? If not I'd post it here, the catch being it will be for Linux (I haven't done Windows software development for many years) but should be easily portable.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Check out something like Megalog Viewer ...

NSFW

Post by NSFW »

draz53 wrote:Did another longer (20 minute) test run, logger and saving data worked perfectly.

On the same topic of output: importing the data directly into a spreadsheet seems a little unwieldy, so I'm planning on writing a program to take the pcmlogger output as input and consolidate it (for example compute averages) and output that to a file, that could then be imported into a spreadsheet, or whatever. Or is something like that already done, or in the works? If not I'd post it here, the catch being it will be for Linux (I haven't done Windows software development for many years) but should be easily portable.
Are there changes I/we could make to the logger to make that spreadsheet import... more wieldy? :)

When I was doing a lot of Subaru tuning I used a spreadsheet with multiple tabs, where I'd paste the raw CSV data into one tab, and other tabs would render scatter plots and stuff like that to help visualize the data. I'll admit I haven't tried that with CSV files from this logger, but I was assuming that the same kind of thing would work.

The logger supports "math" parameters that compute a new value based on two other parameters. See the Parameters.Math.xml file for some examples. It's a far cry from what's possible in a spreadsheet of course - I just want to make sure you're aware so you don't reinvent that particular wheel.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Phoenix
cars: 1983 Chevy C10
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
2004 Pontiac GTO
2005 Pontiac GTO

Post by Phoenix »

Gampy wrote:Check out something like Megalog Viewer ...
I k iw this is slightly off topic, but I have Megalog viewer HD and I have successfully brought in a CSV, but I seem unable to build tables that match what's in the tune. Do you know where I could read up on that?