VY BCM / PIM / PCM Trip Computer to Gauge issue

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
evilstuie
cars: 1985 Pontiac TransAM

VY BCM / PIM / PCM Trip Computer to Gauge issue

Post by evilstuie »

Hi All,

I have to swap out my LS1 harness for a new one due to a short that fried a good portion of it and had to go with a standalone harness which needs to be modified to suit my setup where I have the bulk of VY wiring in it including BCM and PIM.

I don't use VATS, don't have tractions control or ABS, no SRS etc, so I'm looking to get rid of as many "Ding ding dings" as I can on startup.
Another issue I have is that most of the level3 cluster data doesn't work/show up, so I can't see fuel usage, kms to empty and a few others, but all the class 2 messages come through fine,
including:
"low coolant level"
"ABS Failure"
and SRS light

I guess I have 2 issues here, one is what would cause the trip computer to not show those values?

And the other is, does the PIM actually do anything other than convert ALDL to class2 and back and let the ignition relay activate?
Is everything else stored in the BCM, and can it be programmed out, or is there a non-ABS version of a vy commodore I could get a BCM from?
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: VY BCM / PIM / PCM Trip Computer to Gauge issue

Post by Tazzi »

Have you mismatched parts by anychance? If you fit a VX BCM/PIM and mix with a VY BCM/PIM, then you will find data no longer flows.

PIM is there for passing data, and for security. Even if you had VATs off on a LS1 ECU, a factory vehicle setup will still fail to start if the BCM/PIM side is unhappy.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: VY BCM / PIM / PCM Trip Computer to Gauge issue

Post by antus »

a lot of the 'ding ding ding' comes from the dash and thats ALDL, so you need the pim for it to get data from the pcm. then you need to tune the dash to tell it the things you've removed are not expected to be present in the car.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396