PCM Hammer Release 021

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
abs351
cars: Too many

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Post by abs351 »

@ vwnut8392, just use a VCX nano to support GM , you can also use it for TECH2WIN Gm tool. I just did that.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Or spend more wisely by spending a few dollars more for a GM MDI clone like this one: GM MDI Scan tool with WIFI V2023.03 and not have the problems that POS VCX Nano has/causes ...
Like dying if you don't keep it updated, and that it won't play nice with other J2534 VCI's intentionally by design.

Or buy one of the OBDX Pro devices ... Anything but a VCX Nano!

Sorry, I don't like the VCX Nano, I don't like the attitude of the developers.
One of these days they'll no longer provide updates and you'll have a paper weight ... Intentionally by design, having your foot on your customers throats is low, real low!

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Gampy, do you know if the mdi2 will work with mscan with forscan? That is really the main reason I like the nano for diagnostics. I completely agree with your assessment of the nano's licensing issues, though so far it's merely a nuisance.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

No sir, I do not ... I don't do much outside of PCMHammer, a little CAN/ISO15765 on GM and FCA, I didn't do any of this prior to PcmHammer.

Mine and the one I posted a link to is MDI, not MDI2 ... IMO MDI2 is broke.

I think you have an older nano, it seems the newer ones are having issues ... It's not the nuisance so much that bothers me, it's their foot on my throat!

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
vwnut8392
cars: AAN powered 83 audi 4000 quattro
1983 audi UR quattro
1992 GTI VR6

Post by vwnut8392 »

well the people at scanmatik recognize the problem with their device and it looks like they may work to fix it to make it compatible with PCMhammer! all i did was explain the problem and show them a log from PCMhammer hoping they would understand along with a link to the software on github. honestly the russians have yet to let me down so we will see where this goes. might have to do some testing for them so they can update the driver for it.
Yes, developers of PcmHammer are correct.

SM2 has a limit on J1850 VPW frame length of 12 bytes, because original J1850 spec dictated to do so.

When J2534 spec appeared, I was surprised it has 4128 length limit on VPW messages.

It breaks a lot of features of original VPW (in frame response's etc), that SM has support for.

Because of this controversy, I wanted to find a real case usage of VPW with >12 bytes length.

I searched thoroughly but didn't find one, and no one reported such case, until this day.

So, we are looking forward to implement >12 byte length. But please mind it is not a "five minute task" to increase the limit.

First of all, I will need to setup the bench with ECU exactly like yours.

Can you send me ECU photo (with label)?

Regards,

Alexander Novikov.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I hope they do, but I have to say I've been down this road several times and none of the others have yet to come through ... There is a first time for everything though, for your sake I hope this is it!

I hope it is just a firmware update as well.

-Enjoy

vwnut8392
1983 audi UR quattro
1992 GTI VR6

Post by vwnut8392 »

little bit of an update from the guy at scanmatik about fixing the SM2 pro.
Hi Matt,

This week I successfully finished the firmware & software of SM2PRO to handle long VPW messages. Right now I connected the ECU to do real case testing, and I see some intermittent retries during Firmware read operation (no response from ECU). I need some time to check the root cause of this problem. Will reply to you shortly.

Regards,
Alexander Novikov.
curious if you guys know anything about the intermittent retries during firmware read?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It'll retry if the nessage was bad somehow but it shouldnt happen, especially on the bench. might be a software problem in his firmware he still needs to fix. sounds promising, they're close, hopefully they follow through and get it released.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

vwnut8392 wrote:little bit of an update from the guy at scanmatik about fixing the SM2 pro.
Hi Matt,

This week I successfully finished the firmware & software of SM2PRO to handle long VPW messages. Right now I connected the ECU to do real case testing, and I see some intermittent retries during Firmware read operation (no response from ECU). I need some time to check the root cause of this problem. Will reply to you shortly.

Regards,
Alexander Novikov.
curious if you guys know anything about the intermittent retries during firmware read?
Awesome!

vwnut8392
1983 audi UR quattro
1992 GTI VR6

Post by vwnut8392 »

well you guys can add the scanmatik SM2 pro device to the list of supposed devices now for PCMhammer!! alex at scanmatik fixed the drivers for the SM2 pro. i just tested the beta driver from him personally on both P01 and P59 ECU's with great success! here are the log outputs from it. i will ask alex if he will be adding this functionality to the older scanmatik devices as well and if he does than those can most likely be added to the support list of devices for PCMhammer as well. im not sure if he allows me to share the beta driver for this so i will wait for him to tell me or he pushes out a release for it but either way in the future you guys will most likely have to point people who come here with SM2 pro to go update their drivers if their device isnt working with PCMhammer.
Attachments
PcmHammer_userLog_20230513@161311---P59.txt
P59
(2.78 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
PcmHammer_userLog_20230513@160632---P01.txt
P01
(2.24 KiB) Downloaded 74 times