PCM Hammer Release 021

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
User avatar
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:11 am

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Postby Vetteyog » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:45 pm

Gampy wrote:Please post a debug log so we can see what's happening.

Thank you
-Enjoy


I posted this issue on the Facebook group as well, with a screenshot of my read attempt. Someone noted that I am using PCMHammer version 20. When I get home this afternoon I will double check that and download the latest version and give it another try. I will also post my findings.

Envoy Snip.jpg
Envoy Snip.jpg (71.09 KiB) Viewed 334 times


Envoy Snip2.jpg
Envoy Snip2.jpg (84.82 KiB) Viewed 334 times

User avatar
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:38 am

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Postby Gampy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:02 am

They are correct, the minimum version for P10 (or P12) is Release 021.

Please always post a debug log when having issues.

Edit:
A link to Release 021

FYI, Screen shots are not always capable of showing the whole log ... In this case they got the job done.
PcmHammer makes it very easy to save logs from the File menu, or you can set it up via the Option menu to automatically save logs.


-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!

User avatar
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:11 am

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Postby Vetteyog » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:18 am

Gampy wrote:They are correct, the minimum version for P10 (or P12) is Release 021.

Please always post a debug log when having issues.

Edit:
A link to Release 021

FYI, Screen shots are not always capable of showing the whole log ... In this case they got the job done.
PcmHammer makes it very easy to save logs from the File menu, or you can set it up via the Option menu to automatically save logs.

-Enjoy


I downloaded the newest version and it started to read and then I got this message:

"The flash memory in this PCM is not supported by this version of PCM Hammer."

Debug log...
DebugLogt.txt
(41.16 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

User avatar
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:38 am

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Postby Gampy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:20 am

Do you have a different VCI ??

That VCI does not report what is being received ...

Also, this is obviously in vehicle and the other modules are not shutting up as requested, you may have to build a bench harness.

Edit:
BTW it would be beneficial when testing/asking for help, to fresh reboot everything, attempt a single operation (like read), nothing else, then post the log from that single operation attempt.
This limits the possibilities of other things instigating the issue ...

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!

Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:30 am
Location: North TX, USA

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Postby MudDuck514 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:58 am

As you are using the OBDXPro VT, is that a V3?
If yes, AND it is an early version, does it have the latest firmware?
Not sure if THAT would cause the issue you are experiencing, but...

Mike

User avatar
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:11 am

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Postby Vetteyog » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:13 am

Gampy wrote:Do you have a different VCI ??

That VCI does not report what is being received ...

Also, this is obviously in vehicle and the other modules are not shutting up as requested, you may have to build a bench harness.

Edit:
BTW it would be beneficial when testing/asking for help, to fresh reboot everything, attempt a single operation (like read), nothing else, then post the log from that single operation attempt.
This limits the possibilities of other things instigating the issue ...

-Enjoy


Not sure what you mean by VCI, I'm using a OBDx Pro VT.
I am planning to build a bench harness for this and my '01 Corvette.

I will look do that with any other debug files I post.

Thanks for the advice.

User avatar
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:38 am

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Postby Gampy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:24 am

VCI = Vehicle Communication Interface.

Other then that OBDx Pro VT VCI.

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!

User avatar
Posts: 3192
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 pm
Location: WA

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Postby Tazzi » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:31 am

Issue appears to be due to being in car.
Theres a couple spots in the log there where a tester present was not sent while it was searching for a response from the engine computer, which results in all the modules in the car waking up and resulting in failed read/write.

One of the last tester presents sent before uploading the kernel is at this timestamp
[04:35:57:187] TX: 8C FE F0 3F

We then see our first part of the kernel successfully upload, this has been almost 1second.
We hit out first timeout check in pcmhammer looking for the response from sending the next chunk. OBDX successful write is always 21 01 00 DD.

Time stamp by this point is now almost 2seconds worth. Some modules in the vehicle may start waking up, or already woken up at this point, and would be attempting to communicate at 1x speed which will drop the ECU out of the 4x highspeed mode.

Code: Select all
[04:35:58:042] Kernel upload 48% complete.
[04:35:58:047] Sending block with offset 0x000000, start address 0xFFB800, length 0x1000.
[04:35:58:631] Timeout.. no data present A
[04:35:58:853] XPro: 21 01 00 DD



Try disabling 4x from the settings if you are using in vehicle.

For PCM Hammer, I believe forcing tester present messages being sent between each chunks, and also immediately after sending the kernel will help this issue :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Site:www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Image

User avatar
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:11 am

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Postby Vetteyog » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:34 am

Tazzi wrote:Issue appears to be due to being in car.
Theres a couple spots in the log there where a tester present was not sent while it was searching for a response from the engine computer, which results in all the modules in the car waking up and resulting in failed read/write.

One of the last tester presents sent before uploading the kernel is at this timestamp
[04:35:57:187] TX: 8C FE F0 3F

We then see our first part of the kernel successfully upload, this has been almost 1second.
We hit out first timeout check in pcmhammer looking for the response from sending the next chunk. OBDX successful write is always 21 01 00 DD.

Time stamp by this point is now almost 2seconds worth. Some modules in the vehicle may start waking up, or already woken up at this point, and would be attempting to communicate at 1x speed which will drop the ECU out of the 4x highspeed mode.

Code: Select all
[04:35:58:042] Kernel upload 48% complete.
[04:35:58:047] Sending block with offset 0x000000, start address 0xFFB800, length 0x1000.
[04:35:58:631] Timeout.. no data present A
[04:35:58:853] XPro: 21 01 00 DD



Try disabling 4x from the settings if you are using in vehicle.

For PCM Hammer, I believe forcing tester present messages being sent between each chunks, and also immediately after sending the kernel will help this issue :thumbup:


Thanks, I will give that a try. But like I stated I'm going to build a bench harness soon.

User avatar
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:11 am

Re: PCM Hammer Release 021

Postby Vetteyog » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:56 am

I was able to read my P10 pcm and save a bin file, but i also got some errors. Bin was read with 4x turned off.

Debug log...
DebugLogt.txt
(406.48 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

I also tried to read it in 4x mode and it failed again.

I attached the bin.
Attachments
2004 GMC Envoy.bin
(512 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

PreviousNext

Return to GM LS1 512Kbyte and 1Mbyte and newer

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests