Finding maps and tables in Universal Patcher

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
darkman5001
cars: 2004 Suburban, 2001 Tahoe, 2002 Envoy, 2006 Envoy, 2003 Lincoln LS

Finding maps and tables in Universal Patcher

Post by darkman5001 »

Greetings. I've been playing around alot lately in Universal Patcher with separating the different elements on the GM flash such as engine diags, calibration, etc and it seems to me that everything needed to find dtc and calibration mapping is already part of the program. I am trying to learn what exactly is needed in order to take a flash bin and make it so the Universal Patcher can use it to make changes. I know my way around the program pretty well. I am semi-familiar with Excel as well. I know there is no instructions for Universal Patcher so I really don't know the ins and outs of how it all works but very interested in learning. Thank you in advance guys. This forum is absolutely great.
darkman5001

Re: Finding maps and tables in Universal Patcher

Post by darkman5001 »

Any input guys???
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

I've used patcher to turn off vats for a swap. Tuning I expect you would have to use tunerpro.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Do you want to understand how to use it? Or how it finds tables? For finding stuff look in the XML files in the source code here: https://github.com/joukoy/UniversalPatc ... er/Patches It means the developers have found those tables or patches in multiple bins, mapped out what to search for to locate them in other bins, and mapped out a formula for the task in XML. To extend this to a new pcm it'd mean manually finding the tables first time, then coming up with similar recipes and defining them in XML.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
joukoy
cars: Pontiac Firebird 1978

Post by joukoy »

TableSeek-*.xml files are used for finding tables
https://github.com/joukoy/UniversalPatc ... aster/XML/
You can edit them using
Patcher -> Settings -> Tableseek

For example, searchstr: 42 43 16 39 @ @ @ @ 78 30
Search this byte sequence. When found, read bytes in "@ @ @ @" and use as table address.

Or you can use static definitions, just add tables in Tuner, Advanced-mode.
Just realized, you can't start new list of tables, need old list and modify it. I need to add button/menu for adding new table...
darkman5001

Post by darkman5001 »

Thanks for the responses, guys. I am going to play around with it some more. I figured out how to separate the bins into segments but after that I didn't know how to use the files generated. I have been looking around a lot in the XML folder trying to put the pieces together on how it works. I also was able to figure out how to find the start address and end address for each segment, so I am getting somewhere, I guess. Still, some of the columns in the different XML file I am trying to figure out what they mean. I have made copies of xml files for other pcms for other pcms and then change the data within the cells as I figure it out more.
darkman5001

Post by darkman5001 »

When I try making some changes to certain files, I get this error message most of the time.

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

What does this mean and how do I fix it?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I doubt anyone can help you without seeing what you are doing ... You'll need to show the xml.

An array out of bounds is just that ... accessing an array out of it's bounds.
Let us say you have an array of memory cells, cell_0, cell_1, cell_2, cell_3, cell_4 ... that array is sizeof 5.

The error is from trying to access a value that is outside of the 0-4 range of that array.

Catchum drift ??
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
darkman5001

Post by darkman5001 »

Gampy wrote:I doubt anyone can help you without seeing what you are doing ... You'll need to show the xml.

An array out of bounds is just that ... accessing an array out of it's bounds.
Let us say you have an array of memory cells, cell_0, cell_1, cell_2, cell_3, cell_4 ... that array is sizeof 5.

The error is from trying to access a value that is outside of the 0-4 range of that array.

Catchum drift ??

Unterstood. I'll have to go through these config files again.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Most typically this error is do to, to many elements for the array.

Check lengths, counts, etc...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!