reflash P59 tac module

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
RADustin

reflash P59 tac module

Post by RADustin »

Question- has anyone ever successfully re-flashed the TAC module for a P59 truck?
NSFW

Re: reflash P59 tac module

Post by NSFW »

I don't know of anyone who has worked on flashing TAC modules.

What would you do if you could flash one?
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I did a swap and try in a 2003 TAC truck with no issues beyond it was a different problem with the cruise control on the column.
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

NSFW wrote:I don't know of anyone who has worked on flashing TAC modules.

There seems to be a max idle TPS idle value I'd like to increase. Currently it appears it is around 25.7%. The PCM bin shows a little higher at 27.xx%...so maybe its that and I'm being limited by area or something else.

It would be really nice to have an idle airflow area DMA pid as well.... or at least a very clear understanding of how idle airflow is converter to area and is then converted to [ETC] TPS.

Basically I was working on tuning in a large 103mm TB and what I found out initially is that they flow like crap at very low TPS and therefore take large amounts of TPS at idle and startup on a big inch engine with lots of cam overlap.
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

also, do you happen to know if a pcm can be recovered from messing with the ETC settings within the red folder of EFIlive? I bricked one after pissing it off by changing some of these settings :comp:

It communicates fine, but won't accept the bootloader from EFI, winflash or pcmhammer. I can read the vin and clear codes...but they immediately reappear and the pcm is just in this deadpoll state.

edit- popped the cover off and grounded the reset pad and was able to write entire (clone) another P59 dump I have on it using PCM hammer. so back in business. :punk:
Highlander
cars: Z06

Post by Highlander »

RADustin wrote:

also, do you happen to know if a pcm can be recovered from messing with the ETC settings within the red folder of EFIlive? I bricked one after pissing it off by changing some of these settings :comp:

It communicates fine, but won't accept the bootloader from EFI, winflash or pcmhammer. I can read the vin and clear codes...but they immediately reappear and the pcm is just in this deadpoll state.

edit- popped the cover off and grounded the reset pad and was able to write entire (clone) another P59 dump I have on it using PCM hammer. so back in business. :punk:
yes using boot pin
Highlander
cars: Z06

Post by Highlander »

RADustin wrote:

There seems to be a max idle TPS idle value I'd like to increase. Currently it appears it is around 25.7%. The PCM bin shows a little higher at 27.xx%...so maybe its that and I'm being limited by area or something else.

It would be really nice to have an idle airflow area DMA pid as well.... or at least a very clear understanding of how idle airflow is converter to area and is then converted to [ETC] TPS.

Basically I was working on tuning in a large 103mm TB and what I found out initially is that they flow like crap at very low TPS and therefore take large amounts of TPS at idle and startup on a big inch engine with lots of cam overlap.
There is... its 18.3% and yes I would love to get rid of it too. I wonder if its the same chip as the E38s
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

Highlander wrote:
RADustin wrote:

There is... its 18.3% and yes I would love to get rid of it too. I wonder if its the same chip as the E38s
I was stuck around 18% at one time, but I lowered the throttle body scalar and then hit this other limit around 27%. The 8.1L big block uses 26% in the pcm IIRC stock- so I just kept those values. Going higher bricked things- but yeah the reset pin trick and PCM hammer got me going again.

I've got good results with setting the scalar to no higher than .2 and then tuning the throttle area to TPS tables. I also drilled a 5/16" hole in the blade, and may drill another smaller hole. Warm idle tps is down to around 8%, I'd like to be at 4-5%. Motor runs great but would be nice for really cold starts to have more TPS available.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

RADustin wrote: also, do you happen to know if a pcm can be recovered from messing with the ETC settings within the red folder of EFIlive?

[...]

Thanks for confirming that it's recoverable. I have a hunch - but don't know for sure - that the problem is that there are two copies of many of the tables and parameters used for ETC, and parallel code paths as well, and if both versions don't agree then the PCM assumes that something is wrong with the flash chip.

If I'm right, you could probably edit those ETC settings and still have a working PCM, if you have an XDF that lets you modify both copies of the tables and parameters, and if you make identical modifications to both copies. CPersing's 7603 XDF has a bunch of the primary/backup table pairs defined. I haven't played with this stuff myself, but I think it's worth trying, if the parameter you want to change is in there.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Phoenix
cars: 1983 Chevy C10
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
2004 Pontiac GTO
2005 Pontiac GTO

Post by Phoenix »

NSFW wrote:
RADustin wrote: also, do you happen to know if a pcm can be recovered from messing with the ETC settings within the red folder of EFIlive?

[...]

Thanks for confirming that it's recoverable. I have a hunch - but don't know for sure - that the problem is that there are two copies of many of the tables and parameters used for ETC, and parallel code paths as well, and if both versions don't agree then the PCM assumes that something is wrong with the flash chip.

If I'm right, you could probably edit those ETC settings and still have a working PCM, if you have an XDF that lets you modify both copies of the tables and parameters, and if you make identical modifications to both copies. CPersing's 7603 XDF has a bunch of the primary/backup table pairs defined. I haven't played with this stuff myself, but I think it's worth trying, if the parameter you want to change is in there.
What OS are you using? I'm attaching an updated version of CPersing's 7603 XDF that has all of the ETC table defined. Look at the ETC Parameters that have "REDUNDANT" in the title. Some of them match exactly while others are double the value. I think what ever you change in the regular table must also be changed in the REDUNDANT table and follow the way they are laid out. IF they match, match them, if the REDUNDANT is doubled make sure that it stays that way with the new value. Since you are to recover the PCM if something is out of whack I think it would be an interesting experiment to see exactly what causes these issues.
Attachments
12587603 - Release 07-07-22.zip
(170.97 KiB) Downloaded 136 times