reflash P59 tac module

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
RADustin

Re: reflash P59 tac module

Post by RADustin »

NSFW wrote:
RADustin wrote: also, do you happen to know if a pcm can be recovered from messing with the ETC settings within the red folder of EFIlive?

[...]

edit- popped the cover off and grounded the reset pad and was able to write entire (clone) another P59 dump I have on it using PCM hammer. so back in business. :punk:
Thanks for confirming that it's recoverable. I have a hunch - but don't know for sure - that the problem is that there are two copies of many of the tables and parameters used for ETC, and parallel code paths as well, and if both versions don't agree then the PCM assumes that something is wrong with the flash chip.

If I'm right, you could probably edit those ETC settings and still have a working PCM, if you have an XDF that lets you modify both copies of the tables and parameters, and if you make identical modifications to both copies. CPersing's 7603 XDF has a bunch of the primary/backup table pairs defined. I haven't played with this stuff myself, but I think it's worth trying, if the parameter you want to change is in there.
I can try on the bench. I'm pretty sure just powering up the pcm with the data will cause it to error out.

worth noting- I have 'tuned' the 'ETC TPS to area' table, and both the 'ETC angle to area' tables(normal and redundant)- to me its like tuning the IAC to area tables but for ETC. These tables are what finally made my 102mm work beautifully, even with a not so correctly set throttle area scalar- I kept it smaller to allow more TPS at idle.

Phoenix wrote:
NSFW wrote:
RADustin wrote: also, do you happen to know if a pcm can be recovered from messing with the ETC settings within the red folder of EFIlive?

[...]

edit- popped the cover off and grounded the reset pad and was able to write entire (clone) another P59 dump I have on it using PCM hammer. so back in business. :punk:
Thanks for confirming that it's recoverable. I have a hunch - but don't know for sure - that the problem is that there are two copies of many of the tables and parameters used for ETC, and parallel code paths as well, and if both versions don't agree then the PCM assumes that something is wrong with the flash chip.

If I'm right, you could probably edit those ETC settings and still have a working PCM, if you have an XDF that lets you modify both copies of the tables and parameters, and if you make identical modifications to both copies. CPersing's 7603 XDF has a bunch of the primary/backup table pairs defined. I haven't played with this stuff myself, but I think it's worth trying, if the parameter you want to change is in there.
What OS are you using? I'm attaching an updated version of CPersing's 7603 XDF that has all of the ETC table defined. Look at the ETC Parameters that have "REDUNDANT" in the title. Some of them match exactly while others are double the value. I think what ever you change in the regular table must also be changed in the REDUNDANT table and follow the way they are laid out. IF they match, match them, if the REDUNDANT is doubled make sure that it stays that way with the new value. Since you are to recover the PCM if something is out of whack I think it would be an interesting experiment to see exactly what causes these issues.
I am using ...618OS because I am using the single bar speed density EFI COS. I have a copy of CPersing's 7603 XDF, and I regularly map out variables and tables from his XDF to OS...618 within a CAX so I can use EFI's environment.

I have tuned the ETC to area tables, including the redundant and it works fine. I can dig around for the other redundant variables and see what happens.
Phoenix
cars: 1983 Chevy C10
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
2004 Pontiac GTO
2005 Pontiac GTO

Post by Phoenix »

RADustin wrote:
I am using ...618OS because I am using the single bar speed density EFI COS. I have a copy of CPersing's 7603 XDF, and I regularly map out variables and tables from his XDF to OS...618 within a CAX so I can use EFI's environment.

I have tuned the ETC to area tables, including the redundant and it works fine. I can dig around for the other redundant variables and see what happens.
Here is a copy of the XDF for the 12592618 OS based on the 7603 XDF.
Last edited by Phoenix on Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

Phoenix wrote:
RADustin wrote:

awesome. I'm sure this will save lots of time :punk:
Phoenix
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
2004 Pontiac GTO
2005 Pontiac GTO

Post by Phoenix »

:worthless:
RADustin wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
RADustin wrote:

awesome. I'm sure this will save lots of time :punk:
I just posted and updated versio today, please use that one.
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

I added a few variables to it the last few days. I can send it to you after a while to incorporate into the main release. :thumbup:
Phoenix
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
2004 Pontiac GTO
2005 Pontiac GTO

Post by Phoenix »

RADustin wrote:I added a few variables to it the last few days. I can send it to you after a while to incorporate into the main release. :thumbup:
That would be great, thanks!
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

NSFW wrote:

[...]

edited all the normal and redundant tables and the pcm still works.

now we wait for the engine to cool off (tomorrow morning) to see if the TPS will breach the old threshold. :punk:
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

so far it has worked but I'm still stuck currently at like 22.5tps while running. I can get a little higher TPS on start up by adding a crap ton of friction or startup air flow, but it seems to come down to 22.5/22.9 tps once its running.

really wish I could figure out what is limited it. I doubled all the previous limiters.
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

bringing this back up. I'm slightly motivated to get it going.

Does anyone know the main chip and have a datasheet? I'd like to dump it with JTAG if I can.

It's an 80pin.
H1 Cased-
6433038MB6F
TMD1-160
ETM719 J 0512
AC05812
JAPAN

E1 Cased-
6433038MB6F
TMD1-160
ETM719 J 0503
AA03502
JAPAN
IMG-0089.jpg
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

How tac and pcm communicate. Do they use aldl protocol. If you can log communication between TAC and PCM, there might be much more left there. Even a possibility to dump rom. Just a wild speculation.