Bench harness and VCX Nano, cannot get full read p01\p59

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Bench harness and VCX Nano, cannot get full read p01\p59

Post by antus »

Thanks for all the logs and details. Its good to know you were able to get a read at 1x, and its likely a PSU issue. You can also use a car battery, which should do many flashes, but car battery chargers are noisy and can cause problems if you have them on charge while flashing. So best to just leave the battery be and top it up every now and then.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
MercRising
cars: 72 GMC C10 LS swapped and turbo
09 Yukon XL
18 Audi Allroad

Post by MercRising »

antus wrote:Thanks for all the logs and details. Its good to know you were able to get a read at 1x, and its likely a PSU issue. You can also use a car battery, which should do many flashes, but car battery chargers are noisy and can cause problems if you have them on charge while flashing. So best to just leave the battery be and top it up every now and then.
Thanks for all the feed back so quick, as I edited the hell out of the posts when I found info on my issues in previous posts along the way too:) .

I am going to test on car battery and see if 4x will function.

I don't have any laptop wall power sources under 19v 6.7a. Will that cause issues that much higher or, OK?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Good help is hard to find ... Tazzi should have added it was in the Select Device dialog! :P :lol:

There are many grounds in the pinout, each one is for it's intended circuit, they may or may not be tied together internally, you must use the ground that belongs with the circuit.

If you do not unpin unused wires, ensure they are not shorting out with each other or against anything else!
I personally have had this issue.

You have a power supply that was showing 13.8 something yesterday, I suspect that might be the one to use now that you may have the wiring correct.
I would not buy the Amazon one personally, it's 14v, they typically produce a couple volts high!
You want 12v, and they usually wind up around 13-14 volts.

Yes, I would try a FULLY CHARGED battery ...

There are no links (or tips) on cleaning up the signal, there should be no need when wired correctly ...

It really is very tolerant when wired correctly, see: My original bench harness
Yes, that is a bent galvanized nail in the power supply connector!
This harness worked perfect for a couple of years, I recently re-did all my harnesses up nice neat and clean with proper connections, heck I even soldered up and shrink tubed everything!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
MercRising
09 Yukon XL
18 Audi Allroad

Post by MercRising »

Gampy wrote:Good help is hard to find ... Tazzi should have added it was in the Select Device dialog! :P :lol:

There are many grounds in the pinout, each one is for it's intended circuit, they may or may not be tied together internally, you must use the ground that belongs with the circuit.

If you do not unpin unused wires, ensure they are not shorting out with each other or against anything else!
I personally have had this issue.

You have a power supply that was showing 13.8 something yesterday, I suspect that might be the one to use now that you may have the wiring correct.
I would not buy the Amazon one personally, it's 14v, they typically produce a couple volts high!
You want 12v, and they usually wind up around 13-14 volts.

Yes, I would try a FULLY CHARGED battery ...

There are no links (or tips) on cleaning up the signal, there should be no need when wired correctly ...

It really is very tolerant when wired correctly, see: My original bench harness
Yes, that is a bent galvanized nail in the power supply connector!
This harness worked perfect for a couple of years, I recently re-did all my harnesses up nice neat and clean with proper connections, heck I even soldered up and shrink tubed everything!

Cheers, battery on charger now and will try that.

14v wally plug failed again at 4x but, was successful with that off when selecting device.
MercRising
09 Yukon XL
18 Audi Allroad

Post by MercRising »

Still cannot get it to go 4x. Just tried 2x more power sources, these were both about 14v and 2a+. That takes power source attempts up to 7 now, none that allow 4x read/write.

Now I am just straight up curious of cause/fail?!?!
PcmHammer_debugLog_20220627@124620.txt
(4.83 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
PcmHammer_userLog_20220627@124609.txt
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
And at least I am able to function, pretty happy with that for sure.
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

MercRising wrote:Still cannot get it to go 4x. Just tried 2x more power sources, these were both about 14v and 2a+. That takes power source attempts up to 7 now, none that allow 4x read/write.

Now I am just straight up curious of cause/fail?!?!
PcmHammer_debugLog_20220627@124620.txt
PcmHammer_userLog_20220627@124609.txt
And at least I am able to function, pretty happy with that for sure.

I would do a full battery test to rule out any noise from PSU. PCM connected to a car battery and Laptop running on battery.

Than you can also do some test from this post to rule out any pcmhammer issues.
viewtopic.php?p=116949#p116949

If both tests fails It it likely a vcx-nano x4 mode issues.
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Wondering if your nano has a problem. Mine has always worked perfectly. Try another laptop with your nano, if that doesn't work, I would warranty the nano.
Edit: also try another bench harness, or try in a vehicle
Last edited by Cincinnatus on Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Three biggest things that affect VPW timings:
1) power supply (noisy power results in noisy comms line)
2) Poor grounding. (Bad grounding mades 4x almost impossible to occur)
3) ECU operating system. Believe it or not, the OS of the ECU can affect the timing of each byte sent through the VPW transceiver, little delays due to interrupts ect can throw out the timing enough to make a frame invalid (More pronounced in P04 ecus).

So, if you eliminate 1 and 2, then this would leave you with 3. Some tools can handle it better then others, it could just be ECU not playing nicely.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I know you have looked closely at the data in development of the obd xpro, but Im skeptical of this as the DLC is in hardware. I think the P04 DLC might have less buffer, though, and the later ones have fixed this. P04s are a bit crap in every way, to me they have the feel of being a beta quality design compared to the later ones. Lots of rough edges. For a P01/P59 Ive never seen this due to the operating system. Its always the interface, wiring or power (or a faulty pcm, though Ive never seen that 1st hand as they are pretty reliable)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
FriskyDingo

Post by FriskyDingo »

Does the nano draw any power from the obd port? Have you measured it?