E38 - L77 conversion - Won't start

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Thorwon
cars: 2007 Hemi powered JKUR
1987 YJ
1955 CJ5
1988 MJ Comanche

Re: E38 - L77 conversion - No spark

Post by Thorwon »

Try swapping the sensors one at a time.
Bad things happen FAST!!!
bojimmy35
cars: Don't have a shed

Re: E38 - L77 conversion - No spark

Post by bojimmy35 »

Have you verified that you have 12v at the injectors? Should show a constant 12v when key on.

Should be powered off the engine control ignition relay and 2 separate 20 amp fuses. You can bypass all this for a quick test and provide a constant 12v to the purple/blue wire on the engine harness.
ben_att
cars: VF
VZ
VY

Re: E38 - L77 conversion - Won't start

Post by ben_att »

Thanks for your help everyone.
I haven't had much time lately to spend with this car, but did this week.
So I did recheck the injector wiring and it's all good, however going back to basics, I tried to apply 12V directly to an injector while they were unplugged and didn't hear anything, just a very small arc from the wire I was tapping on the pins. After about 30 seconds of tapping on and off, it slowly started to tick and then get louder and louder. Went to the next injector and same thing. All 8 injectors were stuck closed! I was not expecting this because it came from a running vehicle. I got 6 to free up and sound very positive, one was a bit weak sounding and the last one wouldn't budge. After that I tried starting it and it fired up. Finally. Two exhaust pipes were cold which is the ones I couldn't get to free up properly but after fiddling around a while, got them all to free up and now it starts and runs well. Most of the fault codes have gone away now that it starts too, so it must want to see the issue resolved with the motor running before it would let me clear those errors.
I think I'll take all the injectors out and get them cleaned and tested properly to be on the safe side, but now at least I can get it to drive and get onto the wiring to try and integrate it into the car now.

Thanks again.