Tuning basics, where to start?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
rharrison
cars: VY SS Crewman, VS Commodore wagon V6, VK Commodore Buick V6

Tuning basics, where to start?

Post by rharrison »

Hello everyone.
Just wondering what changes to my tune would be worth while. Other than exhaust my car is stock. VY Crewman LS1 4L60E OS is 12225074. So far I've changed PE to come in at 3000rpm and adjusted abuse management and torque management, flashed it back to PCM successfully using an OBDX Pro VT. Is there any HSV tunes out there that would suit my car? How does a mail order tune work? Is there a set of adjustments that perform better than stock tunes for many different vehicle types?
Thanks for all your help in getting as far as I have. PCM Hammer is awesome!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Tuning basics, where to start?

Post by antus »

Yes. You can compare a 2004 hsv tune on OSID 12225074 to yours. Then copy the platform specific stuff (drive train related ratios, speed sensor pulses per km etc) where different from your car in to the hsv tune. Then flash that calibration in to your car.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
rharrison

Post by rharrison »

Thanks Antus.
Where would I find a suitable tune?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

First thing you need to do is tools/read entire pcm. This will get a bin file that includes all of your car specific data. You will be able to write this entirely or partially back to the car if you get yourself in to trouble and get a no start situation.

Ive attached a bin from my system that you can use to compare against. Note that you didnt state auto or manual, this is a manual tune. Go slowly and make sure you know what you are doing and why. You should only flash the calibration section. If the parameters section is written you'll break the link to the bcm for security, and it'll also change the vin in the ecm. Because its the same OS you know data in the parameters block will be compatible with this OS.

As above you'll need to migrate the stuff specific to your car to do with pulses per km or drivetrain differences. You can also tweak the torque, abuse, enrichment stuff which you otherwise would once you are on this calibration but it'll give you some of the finer tweaks HSV apply more easily.
Attachments
2004 HSV GTS Sedan Manual LS1 5.7 Litre (12225074).bin
(512 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
rharrison

Post by rharrison »

Thanks mate. My car is an auto 4L60e
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

try this one for auto
Attachments
2004 HSV Clubsport Sedan Automatic LS1 5.7 Litre (12225074).bin
(512 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
rharrison

Post by rharrison »

Thanks again Antus. :thumbup:
Will have a play around with it on the weekend.
Motox
cars: 2004 Holden vy crewman ss ls1 auto

Post by Motox »

Sorry to jump on this post but saves me starting a new topic, iv also got a 04 vy ss crewman I want to tune, I had a v6 crewman I used to tune using tunerpro and aldl cable, I found it fun and easy, can I use the same program and cable of the ls1 pcm? There obd2? Mods are 3" cat back, otr, has 4l60e with stage 1 shift kit and 3500 high stall, apparently it had a tune when thay put the auto in but I want to change when the tcc lock up and a few other things that are annoying me, thanks
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

no because its the ls1 its the VPW variant of OBD2. Look in to PCMHammer and you'll need one of its supported cables. The low cost recommended cable is the xpro either vt or gt.
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Just a recommendation. I have a gm vcx nano, and it is a functional gm (and probably ford) j2534 flashing tool, comes with gm diagnostic software that works, and will work with forscan (including mscan) and pcmhammer. I haven't found anything else yet as capable for the money. It does have an annoying 60 day license you renew for free, hopefully forever.