VATS Removal from P59 with Universal Patcher

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
LowbuckLS
cars: 2000 Chevy Silverado with Turbo, 1990 Chevy Suburban with LQ4

VATS Removal from P59 with Universal Patcher

Post by LowbuckLS »

Hello, I posted this in the Universal Patcher facebook group but thought I would inquire here as well.

I am experimenting with using Universal Patcher as an alternative to Hp Tuners or Tunerpro and I am trying to remove VATS from a P59 PCM from a 2003 Chevy Silverado with OSID 12579403.

If I open the bin in Universal Patcher, I only have two options under the VTD_Configuration parameter, I can set it to 0 for Class 2 VTD or 1 for none.

If I connect to the PCM with HP Tuners, I have 3 options under the VATS Control parameter... Serial, PWM or None.

If I set the VTD_Configuration to None with Universal Patcher and read the PCM in HP Tuners, the VATS Control setting has changed to PWM from serial. I believe if I could set the VTD_Configuration parameter to 2 in Universal Patcher, I could disable VATS.

Is there a way of doing this?
Broke4speed
cars: 1984 Volvo 244

Re: VATS Removal from P59 with Universal Patcher

Post by Broke4speed »

I had a question about this a while back, and from what I can tell...not all pcms have three options, but the GUI doesn't change. P59 stuff only has two options, 'Class-2/Serial' and 'None', but most of the Tunerpro XDFs have three listed, as does HPTuners. If you open a P59 bin in Tunerpro and set VATS to '2', and then open that in EFILive you'll get an 'out of range' error because the code in the PCM has no idea what to do with the '2'.

Fire up Universal Patcher, use one of their two options, and see if the engine starts. That's really the only way to sort out what works :).

EFILive also only lists two options for VATS delete on a P59, FWIW.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Yes, there is some confusion between competing software ...

0 for Class2, 1 for None!

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
LowbuckLS

Post by LowbuckLS »

Thanks guys, I will set it to 1 to disable VATS with Universal Patcher and see if it works.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Please do let us know so we can chisel it in stone!

That is an Os version I do not have, if you have a factory stock copy and are willing to share it, I would appreciate a copy. Thank You!

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
LowbuckLS

Post by LowbuckLS »

Will do, I am currently working away from home so it will be a little while before I can test and see if it works.

If you private message me with an email address I can send you a copy if the bin file.

Thanks again for the help.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

LowbuckLS wrote:Hello, I posted this in the Universal Patcher facebook group but thought I would inquire here as well.

I am experimenting with using Universal Patcher as an alternative to Hp Tuners or Tunerpro and I am trying to remove VATS from a P59 PCM from a 2003 Chevy Silverado with OSID 12579403.

SNIP
Just to verify,
You have OS 9403 and NOT 9405?

Mike
LowbuckLS

Post by LowbuckLS »

Yes it's definitely 9403
LowbuckLS

Post by LowbuckLS »

Actually, I just reconnected to this PCM to verify the OS and noticed something interesting. PCM Hammer and the sticker on the PCM identify the OS as 12579403. Universal Patcher and HP Tuners identify the OS as 12579405.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Can you post up the bin? Maybe it is corrupted somehow. PCMHammer asks the ECU for its OSID via a GM standard API, Universal Patcher loadeds it out of the bin on disk. It sounds like there is a mismatch between those places in the PCM for some reason. I'd say it was likely corrupted if PCMHammer didnt agree with the sticker.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396