LS1 Boost OS V3

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

LS1 Boost OS V3

Post by bubba2533 »

Version 3 of the LS1 Boost OS

Notes:
1. Many new features were added since the V2 release. See below for the full feature set.
2. Boost OS Patcher was created by me to help assist with patching, upgrades, bug fixes, and the ability to revert to a prior version or even back to the factory OS.
3. Only PCM Hammer V20 is compatible since V21 is not aware of this OSID and the new parameter section. All changes to Boost OS parameters must be flashed via Write OS, Calibration, and Boot.
4. This software has been tested by a number of people including myself, so if you are having issues please verify there are no mechanical or tuning issues prior to posting bug reports.
5. Feature Ideas and Development Discussion Here -> LS1 Boost OS - Development.

Current Features:
N/A, 2 bar, or 4 bar VE Table
Boost Spark Adder
Open Loop Boost Control
Wideband Closed Loop Fueling
Launch Control
Flat Foot Shift
Spark Cut Engine Speed Limiter
Desired Air/Fuel Ratio (Replaces Power Enrichment)

Supported Operating Systems:
P59:

How to Upgrade to LS1 Boost OS:
1. Download Latest TunerPro Version, PCM Hammer V20, attached zip file (includes TunerPro DLL, Boost OS V3 XDF, and Boost OS Patcher)
Note: Ensure DLL file in TunerPro Directory "\Documents\TunerPro Files\Plugins"
2. Open Boost OS Patcher.exe
3. Enter input file name. (e.g. "MyFile.bin" and the bin file must be in the same directory/folder as the Boost OS Patcher.exe)
4. Select an OS version to apply. (Recommended to Apply the Highest Version)
Note: When upgrading all parameters are given default values with all features disabled.
5. Enter the output file name. (e.g. "MyNewFile.bin")
6. Make enable features and make tune changes in TunerPro with the XDF from the zip file.
7. Flash tune to PCM. (You must flash in PCM Hammer V20 via Tools -> Write OS, Calibration, and Boot)

Want To Show Appreciation & Help Support Development?
Consider joining my Patreon where V4 is currently posted.
Boost OS V3.4.zip
(2.35 MiB) Downloaded 491 times
Here is a video going over the process of patching and a review of all the features for V3 & V4: YouTube Video

Thanks,
Branden
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
bubba2533

Re: LS1 Boost OS V3

Post by bubba2533 »

Added a YouTube Video describing the patch tool process and a review of all the features in TunerPro.

Hope this will help people understand the process a little better and more about each of the features I added.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
budwizer

Post by budwizer »

Hey Bubba,

Firstly awesome work with this as a whole!! I'm sure it has been some late nights! But certainly looks promising. :)

Might need to hunt down a P59 pcm here in Aus or get one from the states! Any suggestions on best place to source? Or just ebay?

This looks like it should suit a few projects of mine, when i get the chance to play with them. One being a boosted 1uzfe - already have trigger wheel sorted, just wiring and time to play.

The other I'm looking at is a Buick V6 - to eventually turbo! I see on your Youtube channel its what your doing with your firebird. I can do all of the Mech stuff with trigger wheels/mounts etc but whats required on the software side? Obviously assuming your using a slight variation again on your software? Has this been released or something I can get from your patreon? Feel free to pm if you like. :thumbup:

Look forward to further revisions & having a play. Keep up the good work.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I have a P59 I'm about to advertise for sale.
1mb removed from a VZ LS1.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

budwizer wrote:Hey Bubba,

Firstly awesome work with this as a whole!! I'm sure it has been some late nights! But certainly looks promising. :)

Might need to hunt down a P59 pcm here in Aus or get one from the states! Any suggestions on best place to source? Or just ebay?

This looks like it should suit a few projects of mine, when i get the chance to play with them. One being a boosted 1uzfe - already have trigger wheel sorted, just wiring and time to play.

The other I'm looking at is a Buick V6 - to eventually turbo! I see on your Youtube channel its what your doing with your firebird. I can do all of the Mech stuff with trigger wheels/mounts etc but whats required on the software side? Obviously assuming your using a slight variation again on your software? Has this been released or something I can get from your patreon? Feel free to pm if you like. :thumbup:

Look forward to further revisions & having a play. Keep up the good work.
Thanks! And it's been too many late nights to count. I can get them from my local junkyard, but eBay is probably a good source if you can't find them local.

I haven't prioritized releasing that software yet, but I've had a few people ask about it. So I might have to put that next in the Queue. I'll be sure to post about it when it's ready to go, but It'll likely be posted on Patreon since it wasn't the easiest thing to figure out.
vwnut8392
cars: AAN powered 83 audi 4000 quattro
1983 audi UR quattro
1992 GTI VR6

Post by vwnut8392 »

would like to make a few suggestions after looking at the XDF and knowing how the spark cut function works. when spark cut happens we know that dwell time is forced to 0 and this works but may be too harsh for some peoples setups. could a constant be added to allow the dwell time to be adjustable? on certain VW/audi vehicles a dwell time of 0 actually causes the fuse for the coils to blow. at that point we have to set the dwell time to 0.1 or 0.2 than we avoid the blown fuse issue plus it softens the launch control a little.

also i seen spark adder which makes very little sense to me. i would say retarding ignition angle which generates load during the ramp into launch control and helps it gain peak boost faster. retard is also another way to make it more aggressive and control the boost pressure. once again just suggestions. i would like to get involved with this project but im stuck with getting my reflash tool to work right with PCMhammer still so i cant test anything till i get that problem resolved.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

I think you've already recommended modifying the dwell rather than setting it to zero. I don't see a huge benefit to doing it. I know it can be harsh, which is why I've added a soft limit via a progressive spark advance adder in V4.

This isn't a VW/Audi application and I'm not really sure how that would cause blow fuses since setting it to zero causes less current to flow.

I use the term spark adder, but that doesn't mean the value you enter has to be positive. You can enter a negative value as I'm sure most people will. I did it that way simply because it's what I wanted and will not change it as it works the way it is. I could probably do a better job with the table notes/descriptions, which I should probably do in my next release.
vwnut8392
1983 audi UR quattro
1992 GTI VR6

Post by vwnut8392 »

bubba2533 wrote:I think you've already recommended modifying the dwell rather than setting it to zero. I don't see a huge benefit to doing it. I know it can be harsh, which is why I've added a soft limit via a progressive spark advance adder in V4.

This isn't a VW/Audi application and I'm not really sure how that would cause blow fuses since setting it to zero causes less current to flow.

I use the term spark adder, but that doesn't mean the value you enter has to be positive. You can enter a negative value as I'm sure most people will. I did it that way simply because it's what I wanted and will not change it as it works the way it is. I could probably do a better job with the table notes/descriptions, which I should probably do in my next release.
i dont get it either but in some select VAG applications on the motronic 7 platform that have a certain type of ignition driver chip blow the fuse when the dwell is set to 0. my whole idea for the spark cut came from the vw/audi and how it functions in motronic ME7 because there are many different ways to approach the spark cut effect which depends on how the the ECU works. if this is as true as its been so far than im willing to bet that how motronic MED9 spark cut function works would work in GEN4 GM ECU's as well but thats another can of worms to open at another time.

over all good work on this! was wondering if you had tested your patched BIN files with HPtuners to see what happens? though i do like your solution as it is semi open source i was just curious if HPT tries to read one of your BIN files if it freaks out or doesnt care and allows it to work plus does all the checksums correctly. i know there where tuners in the past that liked to modify how the checksum worked so that if someone modified their file and tried to correct the checksum with conventional ways it would create an error and make a brick of the ECU on purpose.
vwnut8392
1983 audi UR quattro
1992 GTI VR6

Post by vwnut8392 »

anyone know what the password is so the XDF can be edited?
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

vwnut8392 wrote: over all good work on this! was wondering if you had tested your patched BIN files with HPtuners to see what happens? though i do like your solution as it is semi open source i was just curious if HPT tries to read one of your BIN files if it freaks out or doesnt care and allows it to work plus does all the checksums correctly. i know there where tuners in the past that liked to modify how the checksum worked so that if someone modified their file and tried to correct the checksum with conventional ways it would create an error and make a brick of the ECU on purpose.
Thanks. It’s not open source, but just open for suggestions. HPTuners likely would not work as-is due to the custom operating system ID. I’m guessing it would read the bin file but probably not have any tables displayed, but I could be wrong as I haven’t tested it. That’s an interesting way to protect your IP, but with this ECU it’s fairly easy to bypass almost any security method if you have the desire so I didn’t implement anything like that.
vwnut8392 wrote:anyone know what the password is so the XDF can be edited?
I won’t be giving out the password.