Gm crank trigger wheel

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
RADustin

Re: Gm crank trigger wheel

Post by RADustin »

if you run a single pattern wheel, you need to use a single pickup sensor from like a 96-99 vortec 350 or a 4.3L v6. If you run a double pattern wheel, use the ls1 style sensor that has two inverted pickups. The double pattern wheel is just redundant inverted patterns, and the sensor has two pickups with one inverted. The sensor merges this logic inside of it.

for a double sensor you can use the standard ls1 one or one from a P30 van with 454; but the later is very expensive and hard to find.

I'd recommend to use the early vortec style sensor with single pattern wheel.
ejs262
cars: 2006 2500 HD. 6.0 4L80

1986 Suburban LB7 duramax swap in progress

1988 Suburban L21 454 swap in progress

2003 Grand Am, 3400, F23 swap, stock P04 PCM

1985 Pontiac Fiero SE LX9 F23 Swap, MS3 Pro

Post by ejs262 »

RADustin wrote:if you run a single pattern wheel, you need to use a single pickup sensor from like a 96-99 vortec 350 or a 4.3L v6. If you run a double pattern wheel, use the ls1 style sensor that has two inverted pickups. The double pattern wheel is just redundant inverted patterns, and the sensor has two pickups with one inverted. The sensor merges this logic inside of it.

for a double sensor you can use the standard ls1 one or one from a P30 van with 454; but the later is very expensive and hard to find.

I'd recommend to use the early vortec style sensor with single pattern wheel.
My understanding (I have been wrong before) is that the difference between the sensors is actually just the plane the sensor reads in. Both sensors only have one output, but the LS1 style sensor is reading the wheel front to back, and the truck style wheel is reading top to bottom.

FWIW, several engines use the 24x wheel, obviously, the Gen III V8's, but also, the LX5 "Shortstar" V6, the LX9 60 degree V6, and from what I can see, based on a few different crankshaft pictures, 00-05 Cadilac Northstar V8's. I mention this, because I attempted at one point, to use a LZ9 3900 V6 crank sensor in my LX9 (the LZ9 is a 58x wheel), and it read absolutely nothing. it's also worth mentioning that the LX5 "shortstar" has two sensors in one housing.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Sorry for the late response. I couldn't remember which site i posted this to. Oldtimers kicking in i think lol.
Thanks for all the replies and to the member (not sure if he wants to be named) who sent me the dimensions for the 24 tooth wheel. I will get to that as soon as i have a bit of time. Now i need to get the correct cable to connect to tuner pro for my other vehicle