Gm crank trigger wheel

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Sudsy

Gm crank trigger wheel

Post by Sudsy »

Ok,

I did ask this question in a previous post but i guess it was misunderstood so i will go again.

I noticed that the trigger wheel or reluctor on the LS 24 tooth is an unusual design as it is double sided and the teeth are odd and overlap each other. I am wanting to use this ecu on another vehicle and was wondering if i could just use a straight 24 tooth wheel to suit my motor which i can easily make or if it has to be the strange setup as in the factory.

Next question is can a VR sensor be used rather than the hall effect or can't the ecu be configured this way.

Thanks

Bob
Thorwon
cars: 2007 Hemi powered JKUR
1987 YJ
1955 CJ5
1988 MJ Comanche

Re: Gm crank trigger wheel

Post by Thorwon »

Sudsy wrote:Ok,

I did ask this question in a previous post but i guess it was misunderstood so i will go again.

I noticed that the trigger wheel or reluctor on the LS 24 tooth is an unusual design as it is double sided and the teeth are odd and overlap each other. I am wanting to use this ecu on another vehicle and was wondering if i could just use a straight 24 tooth wheel to suit my motor which i can easily make or if it has to be the strange setup as in the factory.

Next question is can a VR sensor be used rather than the hall effect or can't the ecu be configured this way.

Thanks

Bob
Take a quick read through this thread. I have a pdf on page 3 you might like.
I never could get it to run on the factory double 24x trigger wheel. But it runs great on the one I had made.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7810
Bad things happen FAST!!!
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Thanks Thorwon,

Thanks for the reply. Interesting read. I still don't understand the strange tooth configuration on these. The only ones i have played with in the past are evenly spaced teeth or evenly spaced with a missing tooth. I will have to do a bit more research. I could just use the ls one on the damper but was hoping to be able to make something to use in the original Toyota spot as it's totally out of the way.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

It's an OEM pattern not an aftermarket. Prior to this was some similar patterns on other models with long and short spacings.
The two rows are offset and the OEM sensor measures both and expects a certain amount of offset and then outputs a single output to the ECU if all is ok.

I believe the later model ECU's are more basic patterns now although they do have a lot more teeth on them.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Dylan wrote:It's an OEM pattern not an aftermarket. Prior to this was some similar patterns on other models with long and short spacings.
The two rows are offset and the OEM sensor measures both and expects a certain amount of offset and then outputs a single output to the ECU if all is ok.

I believe the later model ECU's are more basic patterns now although they do have a lot more teeth on them.
Yes, exactly correct, you will notice each side of the wheel is an exact opposite and the sensor reads both high and low to create a single pulse. The later ecm's use 60-2(58x)
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

In-Tech wrote:
Dylan wrote:It's an OEM pattern not an aftermarket. Prior to this was some similar patterns on other models with long and short spacings.

Yes, exactly correct, you will notice each side of the wheel is an exact opposite and the sensor reads both high and low to create a single pulse. The later ecm's use 60-2(58x)
Would it still work with evenly spaced wheel or can it be setup to run on the 60-2 or 36-1 or any other configuration with only a single sensor?
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

It has to be the same as OEM.
Either aftermarket with single row wheel and aftermarket sensor.
Or OEM wheel and OEM sensor.

Outside of that you'll need to go a different ECU.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Dylan wrote:It has to be the same as OEM.
Either aftermarket with single row wheel and aftermarket sensor.
Or OEM wheel and OEM sensor.

Outside of that you'll need to go a different ECU.
Does the single row wheel have the same tooth configuration as oem or are they evenly spaced
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Same as OEM. Just single row.
Thorwon
cars: 2007 Hemi powered JKUR
1987 YJ
1955 CJ5
1988 MJ Comanche

Post by Thorwon »

This is the pattern for the GM single 24x reluctor.
This is what I'm running my 4 cylinder Jeep engine on.
24x trigger wheel 5 inch 2.jpg
24x trigger wheel 5 inch 2.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Bad things happen FAST!!!