DBW automatic to Manual conversion

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
MtnPwnd

DBW automatic to Manual conversion

Post by MtnPwnd »

Ok, I am in need of some help. I am trying to convert a DBW PCM out of an 05 1500 2wd with the LM7 with an automatic transmission to a manual transmission. What's all involved in this and how do you complete segment swaps? What is a segment? I figured I could just compare a manual transmission truck to an auto and then make the neccessary changes to all the tables and pressures but it seems that is definitely not the way to go. Does anyone have a .bin file of this already done? If so please share! I found an .xdf file of an 06 DBW 2500 HD with an NV4500 but I don't know what to do with that to get a bin file...anyone have a solution to this?
MtnPwnd

Re: DBW automatic to Manual conversion

Post by MtnPwnd »

I've done just a little more research and what I've found is a video on youtube of a guy doing it no problem (though admittedly he was converting from a 4L60E to a 4L80E). He had to segment swap inside HP Tuners which doesn't always work if you don't have the right OS. Apparently the OS's have to match in order for you to do it through HP Tuners so god only knows how you'd do it in TunerPro or Universal Patcher. Is there ANYONE out there with any experience seeing this issue? Or even have a stock bin file of a DBW manual configuration?
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

You need original bin from pcm and a bin from manual transmission vehicle using the same OS. Than it is a matter of clicking some buttons within universal patcher or use the bin builder application.

Usually you segment swap the trans segment and the trans diagnostic segment. Or the best you can start with manual trans bin and swap the engine segment from your bin.

On gearhead-efi site there is lots of stock bin files you can use.

So rule of thumb on swapping segment. Both files need to have same OS[there is exclusions for advanced users].
You start with a bin as much closer to the vehicle configuration as possible.

I know vette bins have DBW manual, you can use this as a base and work from there. You need to match TAC module with OS and throttle body too.
MtnPwnd

Post by MtnPwnd »

Thanks man, I saw the Segment swap utility thread above this one and went to work reading through it. I was able to create the bin I need and will test it here pretty soon. Thanks for getting back to me.