Timing >25 DBTC in in TunerPro, should be 10 DBTDC ??

For questions relating to the configuration and use of tunerpro
JohnDee68
cars: L36 Vx Series 2 8/2002 Acclaim Wagon 3.8L ECOTEC II.

Timing >25 DBTC in in TunerPro, should be 10 DBTDC ??

Post by JohnDee68 »

Hi all,
Wasn't sure what category to post this under, but it is related to TunerPro, so I guessed here is just as good.

With my Vx V6 3800, n/a stock car. Which i am starting to learn to try and tune the thing. So please bare with me.

With the timing, the service manual says (non adjustable) but should be 10 DBTC at idle. There aren't any timing marks on the engine to confirm with a timing light so I can only guess it is correct as to what TunerPro shows in my log files.
In TunerPro with the files I am using being VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9e.xdf and VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9c.adx they seem to run at 26 D and above from idle upwards with revs.
Can anyone explain why, TunerPro readings are +>25 Deg where the service manual states it should be 10DBTC in diagnosis mode ?
Can I set TunerPro values back to be 10DBTC without issues and tune from there?
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Re: Timing >25 DBTC in in TunerPro, should be 10 DBTDC ??

Post by kojab »

Yes 10 Degs BTDC in diagnosis mode but you are not running in diagnosis mode are you. To enable "diagnosis mode" you will have to short out from memory pins 5 and 6 on your OBDII service socket.
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

kojab wrote:Yes 10 Degs BTDC in diagnosis mode but you are not running in diagnosis mode are you. To enable "diagnosis mode" you will have to short out from memory pins 5 and 6 on your OBDII service socket.
Ok, thanks kojab, I understand that, then it makes me wonder two things.
1. How can we tell if the timing is set at 10 degs BTDC in diagnosis mode without timing marks on the motors. Is there a way GMH would have been able to do so with maybe a Tech2 device?
2. So then the timing in TunerPro of 25 Deg BTDC would then be pretty correct and I shouldn't expect them to be around the 10 deg ?
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

The 10 degree setting was only for cars with a distributor like a Camira or Nissan Pulsar. You can't do anything to change yours. Your timing is determined by the crank pulley slots and the sensor. Can't be changed and there's no need to check.
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

Charlescrown wrote:The 10 degree setting was only for cars with a distributor like a Camira or Nissan Pulsar. You can't do anything to change yours. Your timing is determined by the crank pulley slots and the sensor. Can't be changed and there's no need to check.
Ok, then why is it stating that in the service manual for the VX EFI 3800 motor?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

10’ allows the engine to run steady in almost any state of tune, needed for diagnostics
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Who knows. There's no reference timing marks and no way of adjusting it.