Spark timing - Low Octane, how does the car know?

For questions relating to the configuration and use of tunerpro
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: Spark timing - Low Octane, how does the car know?

Post by Charlescrown »

Had a little read of my EVO info and it says that the car runs on the high octane map and if the engine pings it registers the level (called knocksum) and will stay on the high map if the knocksum is at a low level of around 2-3. Obviously the higher the voltage from the knock sensor the higher the knocksum. After that if the level rises it then interpolated between the high and low maps till the knocksum drops to an acceptable level then it starts raising the timing back up to the high octane map whilst monitoring the knocksum.
JohnDee68
cars: L36 Vx Series 2 8/2002 Acclaim Wagon 3.8L ECOTEC II.

Post by JohnDee68 »

Charlescrown wrote:Had a little read of my EVO info and it says that the car runs on the high octane map and if the engine pings it registers the level (called knocksum) and will stay on the high map if the knocksum is at a low level of around 2-3. Obviously the higher the voltage from the knock sensor the higher the knocksum. After that if the level rises it then interpolated between the high and low maps till the knocksum drops to an acceptable level then it starts raising the timing back up to the high octane map whilst monitoring the knocksum.
Thanks. Now that makes logical sense to use the severity of the sensor readings to adjust the timing accordingly.
I do now wonder what would, if it has it, trigger a "limp mode" in the Vx 2002 series car.
The1

Post by The1 »

after VS models holden has high/low spark tables in action, basically copying the high map and make the low map the same but drop X degrees, then there is a setting to say if knock occurs and more than X degrees timing is pulled then switch to low map which would be more timing pulled out again. Then opposite to switch back to high map. There is also settings to switch it on from X rpm or some even have cylair, so knock sensors causing it to pull to the low map while idle or off idle, especially say with a manual where there is more chance of false knock.

On standard ecotecs for say running 98ron i would give 5 degrees between high and low maps then set it to more than 3 degrees knock then switch to low map. But it depends on the vehicle and setup, if you have larger cam then even the knock settings themself like ignore time may need adjusting to compensate for extra noise from the valvetrain.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

In the VX/VY PCMs there is a multiplier which is offset between the high and low spark tables. The max spark you'll see is the high octane table, the lowest spark you'll see is the low octane table, and what spark its calculating might be anywhere between the two tables depending on what knock the ecu is seeing and for how long its been seeing it. It does change while the engine is running.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The1 wrote:after VS models holden has high/low spark tables in action, basically copying the high map and make the low map the same but drop X degrees, then there is a setting to say if knock occurs and more than X degrees timing is pulled then switch to low map which would be more timing pulled out again. Then opposite to switch back to high map. There is also settings to switch it on from X rpm or some even have cylair, so knock sensors causing it to pull to the low map while idle or off idle, especially say with a manual where there is more chance of false knock.

On standard ecotecs for say running 98ron i would give 5 degrees between high and low maps then set it to more than 3 degrees knock then switch to low map. But it depends on the vehicle and setup, if you have larger cam then even the knock settings themself like ignore time may need adjusting to compensate for extra noise from the valvetrain.
It's a shame though that they didn't actually make use of it. The ecotec was only ever tuned on 91. If I'm not mistaken it wasn't till the VZ that Holden made use of the feature and tuned the cars on high octane fuel with the option to run low octane fuel and loose some power.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I don't think the intent is to allow differing tunes for different levels of Octane. It's for engine preservation because it still has to ping and continue to ping to switch down from the timing in the high Octane map.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Seems like a convoluted way to set up your knock strategy if that is the case.
The1

Post by The1 »

the series 1 VS V6 one of the first memcal revisions BPYR had high spark timing which was great for 98 octane, they revised it quickly after because of complaints of pinging and hesitation, obviously knock sensors were retarding the timing horribly, the low and high tables were the same so it was just taking max timing in and out.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I had a mate pull a similar stunt on me. We were tuning his VS L67 Calais but said it was feeling very lazy. Then he comes over and I noticed he'd dropped a couple of pulley sizes on the blower. Took it for a spin with the laptop hooked up and found it was running on the low spark map (using your enhanced tune).
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Some subarus just rely on the knock sensors fully they just take timing out and readd it over and over to keep it in the max timing zone lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem