tunerpro difference between bcc a and bcc b

For questions relating to the configuration and use of tunerpro
bevo
cars: vx commodore ss ls1 5.7 ltr 6speed manual

tunerpro difference between bcc a and bcc b

Post by bevo »

hi im new to tuning ive just replaced my bcm pcm and pim modules in me 2001 vx ss ls1 , ive changed the vin to match my car with ls1 flash tool my question is after changing vin it went from seed b bcc b to seed a and bcc a is there a reason for it and does it make a difference sorry forgot to mention my car is a holden commodore vx ss gen 3 ls1 6 speed manual
Gampy

Re: tunerpro difference between bcc a and bcc b

Post by Gampy »

I'm wondering if this 'a' and 'b' location is where the Parameter segment is ??
In some cases it's written at 0x4000, and others it's written at 0x6000, I do not know the logic as to where or the reasons why ... I suspect it has to do with segment write counts and the fact that flash chip segments can only be written to so many times before failure.

bevo,
Where are you seeing this in TunerPro ??
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah in the P01 each time the parameter block is updated its written to the other block. The vin is one of the things stored in that segment, so when you update it, its updated in ram, and when you key off the pcm writes the updated data to the other block as permanent storage. Incidentally if your doing this on the bench and you power off your power supply on both B+ and Ign the vin change doesnt stick because the pcm looses battery power before it has a chance to do this.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
bevo
cars: vx commodore ss ls1 5.7 ltr 6speed manual

Post by bevo »

thanks gampy and antus i thought it was something like that , i did it in car by the way as i dont have a bench harness yet
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

yep nothing wrong with that, just extra information for anyone whos reading the thread :thumbup:
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

So I plugged a P01 (411) in, saved the bin, checked the parameter location, it's at 6k, changed the vin, verified it stayed (pulled batt for 5m), then pulled the bin again ... It's still at 6k.

Also, if it swapped, wouldn't it have the data in both locations in the bin unless of course the read routine detects this and just sends FF for the switched out side ... it is possible after all.

Interesting, guess I should go dig around in some code, wonder if I can find it, anyone got any ideas where ??

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

From my notes the routine is at 0x0270A6 in the '5074 OSID. I'll see if I can dig up my disasm too, but thats the place to start reading. I was using this address in one of my test kernels to persist data from ram to flash by jumping to this address before we had our own working write code. It was working cleanly with all the factory logic around swapping between blocks executed.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Figures, I don't have 5074, I'll have to dig it up ... Though I think I can convert that address. :D

I have found some of it in 7603, there is definitely a lot going on, haven't found the write logic yet.

Oh the CRS is so bad ... Just doesn't seem to be coming back up to par, c'est la vie.