Thermofan control with BCM removed

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
spectral
cars: VT2 Calais with L67 Ecotec S/C
RN90 Hilux with VT Ecotec V6
Clubman - 4AGE Blacktop

Thermofan control with BCM removed

Post by spectral »

Hey guys,
I'm putting a VT V6 (Series 1, $A5C) into a Hilux.

I've turned off the VATS and the engine starts and runs fine. However as you know, with the BCM not present, the thermofans instantly run at full speed.

In the VT V8 $A6C xdf, it has a flag that will fix the issue ("DTC92 Low fan speed no response")... but I don't see that in any of the V6 xdfs.

I can of course get around it by using a separate thermofan controller / temp switch, but I'd prefer the PCM to control at least the high fan speed, if not both low and high.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Paul.
Holden202T

Re: Thermofan control with BCM removed

Post by Holden202T »

well its defined in the vs v6 im sure it is cause i've fixed the issue in my torana without the bcm .....

now i have a feeling theres a thread here somewhere with all the info in it but i can't find it at this point in time
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

I haven't got around to confirming on the V6.
Which bin are you currently using, as I've mostly been concentrating on the $A5 Variant F?
Should be able to knock something up over the next week or so for you to test, if it works OK will then update the XDF's to suit.
The VT's are a little more complicated then the VS, but hopefully not insurmountable.
Note that the changes will only give one fan speed, your wiring will depend on whether it is high or low speed.

yoda69
spectral
cars: VT2 Calais with L67 Ecotec S/C
RN90 Hilux with VT Ecotec V6
Clubman - 4AGE Blacktop

Post by spectral »

Thanks guys :)

I'm using a $A5C xdf with the standard CJKU1912 bin, only change the VATS flag.

Single speed is fine with me, I'm just running one large 16" thermofan anyway on a diesel Hilux radiator.

Thanks again in advance!

Paul.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

Im also interested in this. Im using DDRJ (VX L67) , and even with the low fan comms failure masked, It still goes full high speed as soon as the ignition is switched on.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

when i wired mine up i put the high and low wires on each of the relay 87a nd 87b pins so it would be high all the time.

this is what i've changed in CKUL 51E to get mine working.

i reckon i need to change some IAC settings cause before the fan comes on (like 5 degrees before) the engine idles up for a bit and i reckon thats the low fan iac step increase :lol: ..... no big deal just funny.

now something to note, back when i did this i had alot of trouble getting it working, VL400 did some trolling through the code and reckons that 3807 and 380a ones don't have any supporting code for them, so that being the case they most likely can be deleted from the XDF ....

another thing to note, make sure you put the low fan setting below the high fan settings or you will get very spastic results ... ie. iac increases, then increases, then increases eventually the idle goes right up and the relay for the fan is like a disco flicking on and off in microsecond increments!
this is mostly only an issue when you realtime change the low fan before the high fan!! :comp:

hopefully this can help the VT boys!
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

Jayme wrote:Im also interested in this. Im using DDRJ (VX L67) , and even with the low fan comms failure masked, It still goes full high speed as soon as the ignition is switched on.
I am pretty sure I can fix this one. Send me the bin and I will have a look through the code for you.

Cheers
Dick
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

In the VT there are additional setting for AC pressure and fan control, as well as the normal vehicle speed, coolant temp settings, etc.
In the VS it was just a pressure switch. :)

yoda69