Vs v8 series 1 NVRAM connection issues

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Roblack
cars: Vs v8

Vs v8 series 1 NVRAM connection issues

Post by Roblack »

Hello, I have recently purchased a NVRAM and cable for my vs v8 auto to start some tuning. I've connected it up but now I've found my Carman scan tool won't connect to the ecu and I can't read live data or codes, if I disconnect the NVRAM and only have the mecal connected on its own it will read again. Is this normal or is there something I need to do?

Also I should mention I connected the NVRAM with my memcal connected to it and it started and ran but has an engine light on. I haven't been able to connect using tuner RT but the correct coms port is selected and it says the cable is connected and working but it says "no hardware found"

I have also tried OSE plugin v1.80 with no luck, tried different comps ports and closed all other background programs.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Vs v8 series 1 NVRAM connection issues

Post by antus »

Is it auto or manual? Eg 11P or 12P software on the computer? What sort of ALDL interface are you using?

The data is slightly different for 11P and 12P, most scan tools should read it they might not understand the extra data fields. In your case though if you cant connect at all it sounds like something else might be the problem. Make sure you leave the RW jumper open so that it is in read only mode until you get any potential issues sorted out. If you damage the data on the nvram you'll need to put it in a programmer to re-install the original data to get it communicating again.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Roblack

Post by Roblack »

It's a series 1 auto, yep I've left the RW jumper disconnected so far. The car does start with the NVRam fitted but there's an engine light on and the fans on constantly.

The aldl cable is one I got through this site from Gareth at the same time I got the NVRam if that helps narrow the interface down.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ok so that would be 11P. Fan on, CEL on, sounds like there is a problem with the data on the nvram, and its not operational. There is a 'limp home' mode where it goes to very rough analog fueling, computer is not active at all, and fans are on with CEL. I'd suggest taking it out the car and checking that he knew it was an automatic. If it was supplied for a manual then it would be 12P as Manual is a different computer but with the same socket, but which is not compatible.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Roblack

Post by Roblack »

Thanks very much for your help, I'll shoot him a message and just double check what data is on the NVRam.

Cheers Rod