Start up preignition

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
ladaok
cars: none

Start up preignition

Post by ladaok »

Always wanted to ask the question, ...why do the earlier model Commodores always ' pink ' on startup ? almost sounds like the 1st cyl to fire on the cranking cycle

robbie
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Start up preignition

Post by vlad01 »

It's not ping, its the oil pump chatter. They run 2 flats drive on the gearotor pump and that allows movements along the plane of the 2 flats so they rattle until the prime up.

This was fixed in late VP where they changed to the 6 spline drive which is is more stable and self centering
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

My vx actually pings on startup my roady guy asked me if I run 91 or 95
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
ladaok
cars: none

Post by ladaok »

vlad01 wrote:It's not ping, its the oil pump chatter. They run 2 flats drive on the gearotor pump and that allows movements along the plane of the 2 flats so they rattle until the prime up.

This was fixed in late VP where they changed to the 6 spline drive which is is more stable and self centering
I hope you don't think I'm an A/H ...but I know what 'preignition ( pink / ping ) ' is and sounds like ... I admit that I've never heard of ' oil pump drive chatter ' ..but I KNOW it won't even sound similar
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Can you post a video? I literally have never heard or seen this before and want to see it myself.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.