How does this all work?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
hyper24

How does this all work?

Post by hyper24 »

I have a GM vehicle (holden commodore VR) that needs some seirous tune work due to the mods (turbo)
Now from what I understand, I use a GP1 adapter on my ecu and plug the ostrich into this adapter.
Then I use RT Tuner PRO and connect this to the Ostrich and now I can tune once I get my XDF and BIN files setup.
Now when they say real time tuning, do they mean, as soon as I change a value in RT Tuner PRO it affects the car, or do I make a bunch of changes and then have to upload to the ostrich?

Now what do people use for data logging, efi live? this is done through the ALDL port yeah? How do I get my wideband O2 sensor to work with this? does the wideband O2 connect to the laptop or something?

Thanks for the help.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: How does this all work?

Post by antus »

Howdy, welcome to the site.

If you are using an ostrich then yes you plug in to where the memcal normally goes on the ecu.

Tunerpro RT is the software to use with it. Realtime does mean as soon as you make the change it is active although you can configure TP to send the changes immediately or after you hit the button to send it, incase you want to make sure its right before it goes to the car.

For logging there is Tunerpro (older) or Scanner Pro (newer, nicer, and will be the new scanning engine built in to tuner pro 5 whenever that is released). Some people use efilive 4.

Wideband will depend on which wideband setup you have. for VR there will be a new bin called OSE12p out in the next few weeks I think when VL400 is back from holidays that allows you to connect the wideband to the ECU. Standard software on the ECU does not support working this way. If you are planning to go turbo OSE12p will be the go there too, as the tables have been extended to handle the larger range of possible air pressure (from vacume through to boost) instead of being crammed in to a standard size table which halves the resolution and therefore accuracy. You'll need a 2 or 3 bar map sensor to read the boost as well.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
hyper24

Post by hyper24 »

ok thanks heaps for that, it all made perfect sense right upto the wideband part. So your saying someone has edited the standard VR ecu BIN file which will let you hook a wideband O2 into the ECU and the ECU can use this signal now? So when you now log data through the ALDL port using Scanner Pro you will get a wideband reading, is this correct?

Also when you say depening on which wideband I use, which wideband will I need for that to work with this, I want to make sure I buy the correct one.
Last edited by hyper24 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yep, thats right. Im not sure exactly what the requirements are for wideband. Linear 0-5v output I think, but that'll need to be confirmed! 'someone' is VL400, and ive been helping get the xdf assembled, and Holden202 has put some time in to the ADX. Its looking pretty good, we need a way to transfer factory tunes in to it now and then test in a car, although im pretty confident that wont show up any problems and VL400 said it was looking good on his engine simulator.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
hyper24

Post by hyper24 »

Ok so before this bin filed was edited for the ECU to accept a wideband signal, how were people doing it in the past?

How do you hook a wideband O2 upto to say scanner pro or efilive?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

without the custom code VL400 has put into it the wideband would only work if it had its own gauge etc ....

see the pic below, second row far right gauge is the intergrated wideband

i'm not sure on other widebands but i have been testing it for a while now with an innovate motorsports LC-1 with great success....
pretty simply, you program the LC-1 with a laptop to tell it what to output on its analoug output wire, then wire that into a pin on the ECM and with the $12P code it will come through on the aldl data stream, then you just need the scannerpro adx which has it (as per above pic) then your in business...

i wanted it in the data stream so i could easily log MAP Vs RPM Vs Wideband as thats what you need to be able to make meaningful changes!!

once i had that i think it took me about 2 hrs of driving then changing to dial in my WOT part of the tune!!

i'm sure other widebands will work aslong as they can output 0-5v as needed
hyper24

Post by hyper24 »

So you can just wire in any wideband O2 sensor right? It has to have a controller like the LC-1 so it converts the signal into a 0-5V signal?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

technically yes you can wire in any wideband that has an analog output on it, but if its not calibratable to suit the code then it may not read correctly....
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Just to put my 2cents worth in & I have the Innovate LM2 & it has a analogue output cable & sent that back to the pcm & it worked perfectly to control the pcm aswell as give me info on the LM2 screen!
Just for extra info I had a wideband before the cat & one after the cat(as the LM2 can have 2 sensors in at one time) & the readings were almost identical, the 1 after the cat right at the back of the car was almost always 0.2afr leaner!
But this is off topic sorry!
hyper24

Post by hyper24 »

So does every wideband O2 sensor need some sort of box connected so we can get the correct signals?
What type of signal comes straight out of the wideband?
I want to know if its possible to wire the wideband upto my laptop and say get the wideband readings in with efilive V4 or something like that so I can get wideband O2 readings with TPS and RPM etc.
There must of been a way people were doing it before, unless the AFRs are logged against RPM and other signals then there almost pointless?
Also what im trying to get at is, why do you need the black box between in the LC1? Cant I just buy a 70 bosch wideband and wire this into whatever i want?
Last edited by hyper24 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.