New to Tuning

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
SyNt4x
cars: 1990 80 Series Landcruiser
2012 Kia Sorento
2006 Holden Rodeo

New to Tuning

Post by SyNt4x »

Hi,

I was looking around on the internet searching about Kalmaker when i came across this site, and Tuner Pro and Scanner Pro. I have had a play with Tuner Pro on a stock Holden bin file and $11 xdf. I have a 94 VR Acclaim that i want to log the data from the ecu as the car pings when i put my foot into it.

I have been reading most of the posts on this forum and im starting to understand how efi works. But I''m a bit confused with what hardware i need to get the desired results.

Initially i just want to log the information from the ecu to my laptop (usb to serial adapter) to assess afr and spark.

Next step is i want to make changes to the spark and air fuel ratio to improve economy and performance.

But i dont think i really want to be burning memcals. So i would prefer to spend the money straight up so i can modify the ecu in real time.

So if someone can tell me exactly what i need thats pre made. I dont want to assemble anything. Except install real time memcal.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andrew
darcy

Re: New to Tuning

Post by darcy »

What you want is exactly they way I have gone. I'm using it on a VR auto atm.

A USB comms board, and NV Ram option from VL400. Parts are listed in the for sale section.

darcy
SyNt4x
2012 Kia Sorento
2006 Holden Rodeo

Post by SyNt4x »

Thanks for that. My car is a VR Auto as well.

Is there any good modified bin files for the VR auto? Or any pointers in which one i should be working from? Or should i work from the stock bin file?

Oh and a quick one. My mate got his ecu tuned by Bill Lee who locked his memcal using kalmaker (VS Statesman 5.0 v8 auto). Is it possible to unlock this memcal and work on it or is the way just to log the performance of the ecu and tune accordingly?

Cheers,

Andrew
SyNt4x
2012 Kia Sorento
2006 Holden Rodeo

Post by SyNt4x »

Just looked at the products by Vl400, How hard are these to install. Because soldering is not my strong point and i dont want to be soldering anything.

Will i also need a wideband o2 sensor for real time tuning or not?

Cheers,

Andrew
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

a widband sensor is nice to have but its not mandatory